Pieces of hot start nut in hole....

Did a search but couldn't find this exactly.....I have a new 06 yz450 that has the same problem as most of the others on this site; popped on decel and apparently was lean. So I have been changing pilots and mains trying to get it right. To do that, I have followed advice on here to get to these parts by taking the hot start nut off the carb to rotate the carb. Well, have done one too many times as I noticed it is stripped now. :bonk: But I also noticed that pieces of the nut threads were down in the hot start hole of the carb. :bonk: I cleaned out and think I got all of the pieces. But there are those two holes on the side of the hole where I worry a piece or two might have fallen. Do I need to worry about this now? I do not want to tear the carb apart! ?

just aside.. I have never had such a hard time to get a bike to run right. I have an 03 as well that runs perfect and did so out of the crate! ?

dont use the aluminum nuts. Instead of stripping the cable end, you will break or strip the carb.

FYI, just remove the upper motor mounts. Leave all the cables and slowly rotate the carb. Much easier.

oh and the 03s had issues also. jetting, clutch, flywheel.

Thanks for the replies, I think its probably ok as I think I got all of it. Thankfully they made the little inlet holes a few mm above the bottom of that nut hole. I just ordered the zip tye nut. I think as long as the nut is tightened too much, stripping the carb threads shouldn't be a problem? The plastic threads are sensitive to getting started correctly and thus easily stripped so I think the zip tye would be easier.

Don't use the aluminum nuts!?!?!?

Where does that come from??

The Aluminum nut is a much better option than the plastic one. Keep in mind what you are dealing with. You don't have to tighten this thing down with a 2 ft breaker bar. Just lightly snug it and it will come on and off easily.

Yes get the extended fuel screw

Wyatt, where does that come from? experience. I have see the carb break off there from a stuck unit or from using the Drd on the older bikes since they pull at a 90* angle.

I would rather replace a cable and nut, then an entire carb assembly.

a dab of anti-seize on the zipty nut is a good idea as well.

the oem plastic nut is beyond ridiculous. the threads on mine pealed off when i removed it the first time. yes, the first time.

just a ? though, WHY are you putting grease in an orfice that will be subject to dirt? (ie via the cable)

It will guarantee that the plunger will not seize in the orafice....sounds kinky....

Been doing it for years - no problem - moisture will get in there and cause sticking and eventually a seizure.... ?

Wyatt, where does that come from? experience. I have see the carb break off there from a stuck unit or from using the Drd on the older bikes since they pull at a 90* angle.

That's absurd. If you arent' a total tard you arent going to damage anything by simply screwing the nut into the carb properly. Finger tight is all you need.

You can't be serious.

I cannot imagine how using the aluminum nut would pose a problem here. And that is from experience. I have used the aluminum nut on both my '04 and my '06. I know the DR D units were notorious for seizing in place on the old design of the '01 & '02 I believe. I heard horror stories about those, but I just stuck with the stock plunger then.

If it makes you feel better, put a little anti-seize on the threads of the nut. To say the plastic piece is a better choice is just not good advice IMO.

silicon spray or maybe dupont teflon spray or simular.

think about it david. what happens to grease when you get some dirt (and maybe a little water) with it?

does it gum up?

turn into a nice pastey goo maybe?

might even allow a plunger to stick open?

not saying it will happen quickly, but given time.........