TE610 vs. XR650R

Who's got experience with both bikes? I ride a dual-sported XR650R. How would a TE610 compare?

Husky says dry weight is 308lbs so I figure its gotta be approaching 350 fully fueled. My XR weights 320 with 5 gallons of fuel on board (honda claims 277 dry).

This last month I've ridden 50/50. That ratio shifts around in both directions month to month. Sometimes I do find myself in terrain where I wish I was on a smaller bike. Other times (e.g. the freeway) I wish I was on a more street oriented bike.

I'm not really thinking about replacing my XR--just dreaming about how to fill every last space in my garage. If I'm not willing to give up any off-road worthiness compared to my XR, would a TE510 be a better choice? Would a TE510 be a less worthy street bike?

It would take one hellava bike to tear me away from my XR...but there's something about Huskys I do like.

I'm sure the Husky riders are used to us XR650R guys by now, but I think they're going to get a lot of us looking over here. I feel so dirty....

When my 00' XR650R loses it's luster (not anytime soon!) that TE510 looks like a great bike. The TE450 got a great write up in Dirt Bike in a 450 shootout as well. Hopefully, Husky will make that cool black/grey/red/white combo and solid black that's available on the TC available on the TE as well. That way I could still ride RED. ?

If you're talking power to weight ratio the husky may have the honda beat. However, the 650R will holds it's own in a drag race, I beat out a 610 piped and jetted w/ my stock uncorked 650. We were neck and neck throught the first 3 gears. Reliability wise it doesn't hold a candle to it. Which is more important to you, I guess, would be the question..?

'03 or older TE610E-This one Norman. However, I will state he had stock gearing and I had my lower woods gearing. I might have had a better top end pull w/ my stock gearing. I love the duals on the 610's though...

Who's got experience with both bikes? I ride a dual-sported XR650R. How would a TE610 compare?

Husky says dry weight is 308lbs so I figure its gotta be approaching 350 fully fueled. My XR weights 320 with 5 gallons of fuel on board (honda claims 277 dry).

I'm not really thinking about replacing my XR--just dreaming about how to fill every last space in my garage. If I'm not willing to give up any off-road worthiness compared to my XR, would a TE510 be a better choice? Would a TE510 be a less worthy street bike?

It would take one hellava bike to tear me away from my XR...but there's something about Huskys I do like.

a dual sported XR650R is not easy to beat from what you describe as your riding preferences. The TE-510 is a street legal enduro racing bike, figure it's a 95/5 bike stock, but could go 80/20 max with gearing changes. the TE-610 is more the 60/40 Dual sport/adventure bike......and probably is more in line with your needs.

This last month I've ridden 50/50. That ratio shifts around in both directions month to month. Sometimes I do find myself in terrain where I wish I was on a smaller bike. Other times (e.g. the freeway) I wish I was on a more street oriented bike.

I weighed my 06 610 with all street stuff,(mirrors, GPS w/mount. etc) and 2.5 gallons of fuel = 321lbs

A buddy just sold his XR and bought a new 510 and he loves it but for me the 610 was a better choice. I wanted a bike that if I got a about 100 miles from home and it was getting dark I could just burn highway back with ease. Plus off road in the tight stuff and you kill the darn thing on a side hill with lousy footing you just push a button to start it. I still ride with a bunch of Friends with BRP's and the power is very close .

I love my new Husky

LTR

R

98 R1100GS, 98 KLX300R, 02 Cota 315R and 06 TE610

Thanks for the replys fellas.

rwamf, 321 lbs?? Strange. Husky claims 308 lbs DRY. Add 2.5 gallons of fuel (2.5x6) and your at 323 lbs. After oil, coolant, fork oil, brake fuid, manufacture optimism, et al that number only gets bigger. Others report their 06' TE-510s are comming in around 260 w/ zero fuel. Compare that to Husky's claimed dry weight of 238.7. Not trying to make a big stink--just trying to understand your number.

Husky Italy site lists 308.6 lbs wet weight(ready to ride, no fuel) for '06 TE610. My '03 TE610E which had a wet weight listed as 324 lbs weighs 340 lbs with bark busters, skid plate, rim locks, 2.4 gals of gas(full tank), on the County certified coal yard scale.

Norman

Husky Italy site lists 308.6 lbs wet weight(ready to ride, no fuel) for '06 TE610. My '03 TE610E which had a wet weight listed as 324 lbs weighs 340 lbs with bark busters, skid plate, rim locks, 2.4 gals of gas(full tank), on the County certified coal yard scale.

Norman

I went to Husky's Italian site (http://www.husqvarna.it/) and they list the same 308.6 as being dry. The pdf docs available at both the Italian and USA sites list all the bikes weights as being "Kerb weight, without fuel" and it's the same weights listed on the web pages as being dry weights. I'm inclined to think the weights are dry simply because I've read several reports of 06 TE510 weights that support Husky's listed weights as being dry.

I might have to take my scale down to my Husky dealership before I'm satisfied about what's what...LOL!

?

ETA: Correction! The Italian site lists 308.6 as wet weight in the "technical" tab and 308.6 as a dry weight in the "general" tab. Again,

Thanks for the replys fellas.

rwamf, 321 lbs?? Strange. Husky claims 308 lbs DRY. Add 2.5 gallons of fuel (2.5x6) and your at 323 lbs. After oil, coolant, fork oil, brake fuid, manufacture optimism, et al that number only gets bigger. Others report their 06' TE-510s are comming in around 260 w/ zero fuel. Compare that to Husky's claimed dry weight of 238.7. Not trying to make a big stink--just trying to understand your number.

The # is just what the scale read, I weighed it and then drove to the gas station to fill it up ( less than a mile away) and it took .7 gallon, The bike is supposed to be 12 liters which equals 3.17 US gal so thats where I got the 2.5 gallons.

I am sure there is a +- of a few lbs. I have never seen an accurate brochure from any company, all I know is what my scale reads, and it always reads high just ask my wife.

LTR

R

My '06 TE610 with skid plate,hand guards, tool pouch and 2.5 gallons of gas weighs 351 lbs using the individual wheel method on the bathroom scale. After 700 miles off road this feels like the accurate weight or it might explain why my wife won't go near the scales!

My '06 TE610 with skid plate,hand guards, tool pouch and 2.5 gallons of gas weighs 351 lbs using the individual wheel method on the bathroom scale. After 700 miles off road this feels like the accurate weight or it might explain why my wife won't go near the scales!

That sounds more like what I would expect. ?

I went to my local Husky dealer today to look at a TE610 but they didn't have one. They didn't have ANY 06s--only 05s. Salesman said Husky is reluctant to send them any 06s till they pare down there inventory of 05s. The truth? Who knows. He sure sounded like he wished he had some 06s to show me. They had 7 various 05 models, all for $1000 under list. I sure hope they sell them without too much trouble. I want that dealer to succeed.

I did like the ones I looked at. Lots of quality parts...

ya know others may disagree with me but to my eye the XR650R is at the pinnicle of design for that bike. (noted the XR650R is not a factory street legal bike, so the folllowing comments are not apples to apples) It, the XR650R is a grade A bike. While the TE-610 beats the honda dual sport XR650L hands down and even though the 610 motor I understand is older and proven technolgy, the rest of this new 06 TE-610 dual sport seems thrown together like a first year, hurry lets get something on the street model. With continuous refinement I think the TE-610 could become a great bike in future years, but for me the 2006 TE-610 is kinda a first year B- effort so far in my view.

The 06' looks like a good way to mangle the traditional TE 610. So, in my opinion, I would get the 650. Like em or hate em' Honda has a good bike in the 650. That is if you want a 300 pound bike.

Take my opinion for what it is, becasue i have never rode either bike.

Wasn't that long ago that the current TE610E that the current model is based on was named dual sport of the year by Cycle World magazine. OK, maybe it was a couple of years ago. The current model has better suspension, brakes and a more powerful engine compared to the previous twin pipe model. It's heavy but it has an E button, radiator fan, passenger pegs and that huge heavy muffler. Strip the passenger pegs, setup the suspension, rejet the carb and install a lighter exhaust and I would rate it as a very good bike, certainly better than a B-.

XR650R is kick only and 5 gears (98mph at redline w/ stock gearing). Most folks gear up a little for dual sporting which really gives it some legs. Once jetted right it starts in one (maybe two if I'm lazy and/or changed altitude from my last fuel screw setting) kicks hot and 1-3 kicks cold depending on temp. The only times I've missed E-start are 1) after I've dropped it and 2) when I've stalled it at night just as a stoplight light turns green (no tailight when not running!). It's really a pussycat to start but OEM e-start would be welcome for the few times it has mattered. Mostly it's after it's been dropped and lays on its side for seconds that it matters. It takes 5-10 decompressed clearing kicks before she'll fire. A lot of it really comes down to knowing HOW to start it under various conditions. I was concerned about kick only at first but its proven to be a non-issue for me 99.5% of the time.

SR 288 south of Young, AZ

p10100031ly.jpg