Sign in to follow this  

GYT-R AIS Removal is now available.

My dealer just got in the AIS removal kit from GYT-R, I bought it and it comes with the throttle stop (already done though), a new needle, 48 pilot jet, and the block off kit.

Q. 1 Will taking off the smog stuff change the performance of the bike?

Q.2 I have heard that 05 and newer wr250f have a non-adjustable needle, is this true. and is so, should I change the needle to the new one, which is adjustable? And what clip should I use?

Q.3 Should I change the pilot jet to the 48?

As now, I have an 06 wr250f, with the throttle stop, GYT-R slipe on pipe, Holes in the air box, snorkel removed, 180 main jet, 45 pilot jet, 40 leak jet, and zip ty fuel screw on the way form the TT store. I ride So. Cal, Anza Borego, Glamis, Truck Haven, Pismo, Big Bear (not yet, but soon).

Q4. Is there always going to be a slight bog when I blip the throttle?

Thanks fellas, but I bet a lot of us out there like this type of post. Sorry so many questions.

Wenz

Q. 1 Will taking off the smog stuff change the performance of the bike?
Most people say there is not really any performance change, but it makes the bike look cleaner.
Q.2 I have heard that 05 and newer wr250f have a non-adjustable needle, is this true. and is so, should I change the needle to the new one, which is adjustable? And what clip should I use?
If you are wanting better performance, you should go ahead and buy the JD kit for your bike. It has custom tapered needles that give you more power across the entire throttle range. Cheap horsepower from the TT store for only about $70.
Q.3 Should I change the pilot jet to the 48?
A 48 pilot sounds pretty rich to me. I don't know where you live or at what altitude, so it's hard to recommend the right size. You should probably be running a 42 or 45 at the most pilot jet.
Q4. Is there always going to be a slight bog when I blip the throttle?
The bog is completely fixable. Do a search in this forum as this question has been answered many times. Please research the QuickShot as well before you decide to by one. It is not a reliable fix for the bog.

if there is a bog, just get a quick shot, invest in a power now.

These are both great products, but far too many people try to use them to correct jetting problems.

Get your jetting sorted out, then start adding those goodies. :thumbsup:

I just bought a 2006 WR250 a couple of months ago. Yes, removing the AIS will improve performance and no, the stock needle is not adjustable.

In my opinion the bike was barley ridable as delivered. It had very little power and stumbled badly when accelerating. It certainly did not compare to my 2001 YZ250. But it came with a green sticker which was why I bought it.

I wanted to get as close to the performance of my YZ as I could with as few changes as possible. The bike was still gutless after changing the slow and main jets so I removed the AIS. That made a huge difference but it was still lean in the midrange so I installed a 2006 YZ needle. I also changed the pipe and cut the thottle stop screw. Now the power is very close to my YZ. :thumbsup:

Where did you find the kit? :thumbsup: I saw bthe one for the 450 but not the 250, unless that one will fit the 250?!

The kit just came out, and the Yamaha store in my town had ordered a couple. It is specifically for the 250 and installs in about 15 minutes, super easy. Thanks for all the replies fellas, I recieved an adjustable needle from the GYT-R kit, and I will compare it to the YZ needle. I am not to excited to buy the JD kit, since I have already purchased all the jets that I need. I am not sure how much power the AIS removal added, but with all the mods listed already, the bike flys. I just got back from glamis, and the bike kept up with all the 450 yzf's, not quite as fast up the dunes, but was able to make it up them. Any other suggestions about mods would be great, I am always looking for something new to change or work on. I am going to do the Power Now and change the needle. Good luck huh?

Thanks