TE450 vs. TE510

I'm trying to understand the attraction of the TE450 over the choice of a TE510. I could understand it if the 450 had a lower saddle ht. (I'm only 5'8"), a lower price, or weighed less, but except for slightly lower gearing the specs seem identical. A 10% loss in displacement seems a pretty severe price to pay.

I'm trying to understand the attraction of the TE450 over the choice of a TE510. I could understand it if the 450 had a lower saddle ht. (I'm only 5'8"), a lower price, or weighed less, but except for slightly lower gearing the specs seem identical. A 10% loss in displacement seems a pretty severe price to pay.

You would have to ride them back to back but the 510 Revs slower and is more resistant to directional changes due to the higher inertia of the Motor-Crankshaft. I prefer the 450 myself.

I also prefer the quicker reving, quicker steering and lighter feeling 450 over the 510. Very versatile bike. The 510 feels old school long stroke and has advantages but the 450 feels racier and more nimble for racing to me. AND, your giving up very little with the 450, it gets down the trail just fine. I feel the 450 is the faster race bike.

According to dirt bike the 450 puts out 49 horse's I don't know about the 510 put 525 ktm puts out 51, from what I've been told, so your not loose mush in the pony war & it rev's quick

I've read the TE-510 puts out 55 hp somehwhere ..but cant refernce the article

510 = more thumpy-ness

450 = more racy-ness

Decide what is your personal preference and buy it. You won't be disappointed in either bike. Plus, unless you're riding a seriously outclassed bike, it almost always comes down to the rider anyway. So ask yourself what you would feel more comfortable on and buy it. Did I mention just buy it??

BTW, we ran two 06 TE450s over 400 miles in Baja last weekend. In our group was an XR650R, FE650e, CRF450X, two WR450Fs and an 05 TE510. Our bikes' performance was never the limiting factor.

I have both............

there is a difference, though admittedly a huge difference is the 450 is an 04' w/the slimmer bodywork & it's dialed in perfectly......BUT you can ride it harder without fighting it as much. Just depends on what kind of riding you do.

I used my 06' 510 for the Adelanto GP last weekend, stock except for a guts seat, uptite skid plate & tall gearing and felt like I didn't have the awsome turning that the 450 has in the infield section. If you are going to race or ride tracks alot, the 450 is the better choice for sure. For me I had to go with the 510 just because I already had (& love) the 450. I wanted the plate so I went big bore.

(If I wasn't double XL I would have gone w/a 250)

I'm very happy with my TE450 I recently purchased. I had difficulty making my decision between the 510 and 450, and decided on the 450. I always wondered if I made the right decision. Your comment kind of re-assures me. I like having the flexibility of good power for the open space and desert, but a lighter feeling, more racy feeling, and easier to control in tight stuff like single track, rocky areas etc..

06 TE450

02 300 EXC

00 Suzuki RM125 (sons)

93 Honda CT70

01 Honda CRF150 (sold)

02 Honda CR80 (sold)

in the end all three Huskys are damn sweet machines. The TE-250 for eastern woods, easy play and tight trail lovers, the TE-450 the mainstream do everything World Champion enduro machine............ and the one, the only the Big, the Bad and beautiful legendary all time master crafted dominator TE-510, The Wolf.

? Go HUSQVARNA!

I will be picking up a 450 this week from Dan.

My decision weighed heavily on the fact that I have (and will keep) a dialed in KTM 640 Adv. I wanted another bike to be a different 'weapon' and the 510 was just getting to close to what I have in my KTM. My decision was between the 250 and 450. I wanted a smaller bike that would be much different from my KTM.

I am looking forward to the 450. I think it will fit the bill well.