Sign in to follow this  

Is it true that you want to hear the "ticking" of the engine when valves are adjusted

I know this is off-subject but I'd rather post here than the XR forum. :thumbsup:

A friend of mine has a 2003 XR400 and he had a technician adjust the valves. His bike has a noticible "tick". He said that the tech told him that you want to hear some "ticking" after the valves are adjusted.

That just didn't sound right to me. Is it true? :thumbsup:

Karl

I've never heard of such a thing, except maybe the Corvette Duntov 30-30 cam.

Ride on

Brewster

All bikes are different. The KLR650 I used to have, would slowly close up the clearances with wear. When you adjusted the valves, usually to the outside of the spec so you didn't have to change shims as often, the valvetrain would be noticeably louder (but definitely a "tick" not a "tap") than before the adjustment.

The XR has screw and locknut, right? why not pop the cover and just check the clearances. Bring the bike back if the clearances are wrong.

All bikes are different. The KLR650 I used to have, would slowly close up the clearances with wear. When you adjusted the valves, usually to the outside of the spec so you didn't have to change shims as often, the valvetrain would be noticeably louder (but definitely a "tick" not a "tap") than before the adjustment.

The XR has screw and locknut, right? why not pop the cover and just check the clearances. Bring the bike back if the clearances are wrong.

Yes, I believe that you're right about the screw and locknut on the XR. I THINK it has rocker arms and not the shim-n-bucket type.

It makes sense what you said about the clearances closing with wear instead of opening up! Maybe that's why he did it.

Unfortunately my friend isn't comfortable messing with engines so he'll never pull the cover off to check it.

Karl

If they are to tight they burn. A little noise is a good thing as long as they are adjustable! You wouldn't want noise on a hydrolic valve.

My KLX ticks no matter what you do. Adjusted, or needing adjustment, it is there. It is not horrible, but noticeable. From my understanding it is just the nature of the beast. My wife's 3.1 V-6 in her car has had a noticeable tic since we bought it with 29k miles. Now with 102k miles it is no worse. On the lawn mowers we use in our business, they have hydraulic valves that tap when you change the oil or when they sit over the winter. I guess the oil runs out and they have to build up pressure. Not horribly familiar with them, but I know they go bad and build up pressure causing them to get stiff and not move. When this happens, you end up getting a lifter stuck, and bending a push rod. For under $40 to replace, I just replace every couple years. I don't know if this helps with the XR, but this is my experience with several different types of vehicles.