Sign in to follow this  

RC AMA Points....it's over....

AMA/FIM Reach Resolution on Carmichael Penalty

- press release -

PICKERINGTON, Ohio (March 3, 2006) --The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) and the Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) have announced a joint resolution to the points penalty imposed by the AMA on Ricky Carmichael following the February 11 San Diego round of the AMA Supercross Series and the FIM World Supercross GP.

In a post-race tech inspection, the fuel in Carmichael's motorcycle was found to contain more lead than allowed under a standard jointly adopted by both sanctioning bodies beginning with the 2004 racing season.

The AMA has enforced that fuel regulation in its AMA Supercross Series and AMA Motocross Championship for the past two years. However, this is the first time that testing has revealed a fuel violation affecting a competitor entered in both the AMA and FIM series, and while the fuel standard is the same in both rule books, the two sanctioning bodies call for different testing protocols.

The AMA initiated an investigation into the fuel requirement and testing protocols. It then became apparent that this difference in testing protocols would make consistent enforcement of this standard difficult, and the two sanctioning bodies have agreed to cooperate in the investigation, with the goal of creating a unified unleaded fuel standard and testing protocol for the 2007 season.

Meanwhile, the AMA and the FIM jointly agreed that, because of the disparity in testing protocols, a points penalty would be inappropriate in this case. As a result, the AMA has rescinded the 25-point penalty imposed on Carmichael in the AMA Supercross Series standings, and the FIM has said that it will not impose a points penalty in the World Supercross GP standings.

Both sanctioning bodies agreed, however, that a penalty is still appropriate for this fuel violation, and the decision was made to impose a $20,000 fine on the Suzuki team for which Carmichael rides. The AMA and the FIM will equitably donate the fine to the Asterisk Mobile Medical Center, which provides trackside medical support to riders at all AMA Supercross Series/FIM World Supercross GP series and AMA Motocross Championship events and to Riders for Health, a humanitarian organization working in Africa for 15 years reaching nearly 11 million people with regular health care workers riding motorcycles.

"It was clear that the differences in testing protocols raised serious problems for enforcement of this rule,'' said Steve Whitelock, AMA Motocross and Supercross Series manager.

"We think this is a fair and equitable resolution of a difficult situation" said Wolfgang Srb, President of the FIM Motocross Commission.

The AMA has announced that the fuel investigation will be conducted by the Southwest Research Institute's Fuel and Lubricant Lab, an independent consulting organization with nearly 60 years of experience. It is expected that teams as well as fuel suppliers, among others, will be interviewed in this process.

I think its....

CR

RC

JS

not sure of the exact points though...

So Who Is Winning?

Rc Bs Cr??????????

What a pile of B.S. :thumbsup::bonk: - I can't believe he got those points back. I've never witnessed such a double standard in a sport...

If I'm Reed and Stewart - I am :thumbsup: pissed!

Hell yeah.....race on. :thumbsup:

25 points or 20 grand, I don't know whats worse, thank god it didn't happen to a privateer, 20 grand would kill their entire seasons bankroll.

I think its....

CR

RC

JS

not sure of the exact points though...

It should look like this...

Reed- 171

Carmichael- 165

Stewart- 152

Well, looks like I'll still watch the rest of the series. Wonder if Reed will take back that comment about RC racing for 2nd? :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup: SWEET! Now we get to find out who the best Supercross rider really is this year, whoever it might be!

For all of you who wanted the championship decided on a meaningless technicality: :bonk::bonk::bonk:

25 points or 20 grand, I don't know whats worse, thank god it didn't happen to a privateer, 20 grand would kill their entire seasons bankroll.

20 Grand, hell that's less than half the cost of an extra race bike for the Big 4.

Wonder how much this had to do with it:

We asked DeCoster about this. "We tested the sample that we took from the AMA, and our results are completely different, but in a good way. I can't say exactly what the level was that we found, because our lawyers say not to.

Taken from Transworldmx.com.

I am pretty sure Reed won't win anymore races, unless another St. Louis happens. Should be good racing though.

What a pile of B.S. :bonk::bonk: - I can't believe he got those points back. I've never witnessed such a double standard in a sport...

If I'm Reed and Stewart - I am :thumbsup: pissed!

yeah right - SWEET SWEET SWEET

I agree that points should be taken away if you cheat and give yourself an advantage.

But this was not the case - and at that...RC does not need an advantage to win - he would win even if others had an advantage.

He is the best rider - period. And if you want to argue with that - first explain how he has won and out ridden everyone in his class for years. :thumbsup:

:bonk::eek::eek:

I think this is good news. There was just too much about it that stunk IMO. Whats funny is that CR went and shot his mouth off ("if it had been anyone else, they would have given up") and now he is going to head back down to 3rd place (he may be second now, but he'll be in 3rd in no time).

20 Grand, hell that's less than half the cost of an extra race bike for the Big 4.

Thats why I said PRIVATEER, a real privateer, not a factory rider earning privateer points and getting everything for free.

Good News!!! About time they (ama) did something right.

gcw

Wonder how much this had to do with it:

We asked DeCoster about this. "We tested the sample that we took from the AMA, and our results are completely different, but in a good way. I can't say exactly what the level was that we found, because our lawyers say not to.

Taken from Transworldmx.com.

A little further into the same article DeCoster says "We also had all of the fuel tested in our truck, and it was good as well." I wonder if the AMA just botched the tests they did as badly as they handled the rest of the situation :thumbsup:

Thats why I said PRIVATEER, a real privateer, not a factory rider earning privateer points and getting everything for free.

Yes, I agree with you!! The privateer always gets the short end of the stick. Look in the pits at the Supercross. They are shoved off in the corner somewhere like red headed stepchildren, hoping nobody will steal whatever little equipment they were able to truck into the pits.

Just pointing out how outrageous the costs have become, that's all! :thumbsup: