Sign in to follow this  

Jumping tips?

I usually race hare scrambles but I want to get more into motocross. I can jump the smaller tabletops and mellow doubles, but any jumping technique or tips would be a great help. And also some tips on working over to the bigger jumps.

I'm in the same boat you are. I find the longer I stay on the track, the more comfortable I get. Over time I'm able to do more and more.

were did you race hare scrambles? im going to be racing them this year for my first year in kentucky. i would also like to get some tips on jumping. Never raced b4 but ive rode alot but i really dont know what to expect.

I race harescrambles in florida. I know that you can use the brake to bring the front end down and the gas to bring it up but any other tips would be a great help

Though it greatly depends on the style of the jump... This is the basic process you should go through:

Stay neutral on your bike a you approach. Keep your knees slightly bent and your upper body in a mellow attack position. As you enter into the face of the jump... slightly push down with the weight of your body. Allow the bike to rebound back... as you leave the face of the jump... slightly push the bike forward and then bring it back. Gary Bailey always referred to this as the row boat motion... as it best compares to that. By mid way through the air you should be neutral on the bike again... As always there is the gyro motion to pick your front wheel slightly up and hitting your back brake (with clutch in) to bring your front end down... As you land absorb a little of the impact with your knees by allowing them to bend slightly.. Be on the gas and ready to attack the next thing on the track.

As I said it greatly depends on the jump you are attacking. Sometimes you want to be sitting down, sometimes you want to not preload (body weight compressing) at all, sometimes you want to be towards the back or towards the front... But for the every day jump, and beginning jumping... I believe thats how you'd want to think of it. And remember... practice only makes perfect practices and perfect practice makes perfect... GL dude

Yeh well ol' mate "migs647" pretty much covered it all.

One i would like to add which i found out the hard way when i started using a 4 banger a year or so ago. I hit a nice gap of 135ft and didnt power on, i was used to chopping the throttle, which equates to a big nose dive, panic rev and bailing over the front. Just power on up the ramp, on most fmx ramps with any bikes if you power on up the ramp the shocks in the bike will compress enough to give you the preload that you want. Just practice with it mate, mags gave ya some good tips.. keep ya body central, have ya chin over the bars at you go up it, which you wont even realise you are doing.

Have a look at some pics of a few decent riders mate, you will get a decent idea from them.

cheers mate

Yah I was reading my post today for some reason, and i noticed I didn't touch on power.

Watch a few other riders go over the jump before you try to clear it. Feel their timing. When they are hitting the gas etc. But FMX_Aus touched on a very important point. You HAVE to be on the gas (even a little is better than none) on your transition through the face. The decompression in the 4 strokes is so much greater that it can bring your front end down. I grew up on 2 strokes and was famous for hauling ass up to the face and being off the throttle on the face. But during the 4 stroke transition I'd use 1/4 or 1/2 throttle off the face. Once you can scrub more and more... the harder you can hold the throttle on the face. Let us know how it goes!

Yesterday was my first time jumping my thumper, and I was used to jumping my 125 But I got much more comfortable by the end of the day

Here is a quick but no brainer tip: When you do a break tap midair, make sure you pull in the clutch so you dont staul the bike!!!

As stated earlier when doing the rowing motion, as you push foward, get your but back for a quick tap on the rear fender. This will keep the bike level in the air.