Whats a big enough tank size for HS racing

I'm relatively new to HS, been racing motocross for the last few years.

Anyway I have a 2004 yz250 with the stock 2.1 gallon tank.

If I upgrade to a 3.2 gallon tank is that going to be big enough to keep from having to pit for gas in most of races held in the eastern Iowa/western Illinios area. I know that they make a 3.9 gallon for it too.

I rode a couple harescrambles on my yz250f with the stock tank (1.9g I think) and it made it. But then again, I barely get above idle anyway. You should be good to go with the 3.2, the 3.9 would be a huge pig, you'd never use that much. I think my XC has about 3 gallons and after Kburg (right at 2 hours on my hour meter) I wasn't even close to reserve.

At Keithsburg I topped it off after the 3rd lap. It was real close to the bottom then and I end up going 5 laps.I dont know if it would have made it to the end or not. Atalissa was about the same about half-way.

Mostly I'm chicken to see if I could make it all the way. ? I don't want to push

I think, if you are riding C class, you should be able to make the whole thing on 1 tank.

I rode a number of HS on my 2 gallon tank for my KTM 250SX.

I have since upgraded, and can now run a full enduro on my 3.whatever gallon tank.

Personally, I don't run the engine WFO much during a race....so that depends on your riding style...

I ride with probly 1/4 to 1/2 throttle in short bursts. The only place I was really able to open up at was up by the starting area.

I hate to spend the money if it isn't necessary. Bungle told me, along with a few others that I should invest in a bigger tank and a camelback system.

you should get a 3.2 tank for that bike that way u will be able to make it the whole way in the longer faster races i gurantee a 3.2 will go over 2 hrs

Ditto, I still have plenty of fuel left last week. Granted I don't run WFO through the woods but I did have er open in the field and whoops. I believe my stock has a 3 gal or so.

I have a 250X that has a 2.2 gallon tank. I never come close to running out of gas in a two hour. I used slightly over a half a tank at K-burg and I went six laps. K-burg will probably use more gas than a typical two hour, because of the sand and long open sections in the start area. Gusse's Moose Run and The Race are probably the worst on gas, because of all the open field WFO.

I would think the 3.2 would be plenty for a two hour or an enduro. I would only put the bigger tank on if you were riding out west in the desert or mountains, on a all day type of ride.