2004 TE 250 purchase question

A dealer in my area has a 'new', never ridden TE 250 for sale. They're asking $4000. I went in to negotiate today and they would not budge on the price. Stating it was already a great deal. He wouldn't even throw in any gear. What do you guys think... is it worth $4000? Should I hold out for a lower price? He keeps telling me he has several people looking at it, but he's had it for 2 years now.

I've read about all the valve issues the '04's have had and am wondering if I should just look elsewhere.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks Norman... I was on the phone with the dealer and they offered to install the kickstart kit also. It didn't have one. Not sure what that is worth, guy claimed $175 for the kit no install price. Appreciate the feedback.

not sure what dealer you are referring to. I'm familiar with a few of them north of KS

anywho... my opinion is that is way high as compared to what they are selling for else where.

the dealers argument is that its about a grand under cost, but that place in MN was selling them brand new in the crate last year for considerably less than that shipped

I've got several friends that have picked up low hour 04s, one is a TE250 that had extras and low hours. He paid just over 2000 for it.

even at 4k, you'd have a hard time selling it the moment your name is on the paper work for anything over 2700

I'd look for a low hour preowned one before buying a 2 year old left over unless they were low 3k onit. they are around for cheap

My son just bought one and it rips, another buddy just bought a 06 and paid about 3k more, If you plan on keeping the bike you can't go wrong, Hellava deal in my book, so what if it's two years old it's still a new bike and there ain't noth'n like a new bike.

JMO

R

I think that Ammo is right. I have an 04 TE250. The valves lasted me about a year. If you figure you may need to replace them and have the seats reground for about 400-500$ and your ok with that then go ahead.

You can find a used TE250 for very little. Find one that has already has it's valves redone.

I bought an 04 TC450 for 4000, and I think that it's a better deal than my 04 TE250.

The 05 TE250 has different valves and they seem to be fine. If you can find a good deal on one of those or TC250 then that should be a good bike.

Get in touch with Jim at D&J in Omaha he has a very nice o5 TE 250. I think he also had a new o5 on the floor. Nice guy to deal with too.

A dealer in my area has a 'new', never ridden TE 250 for sale. They're asking $4000. I went in to negotiate today and they would not budge on the price. Stating it was already a great deal. He wouldn't even throw in any gear. What do you guys think... is it worth $4000? Should I hold out for a lower price? He keeps telling me he has several people looking at it, but he's had it for 2 years now.

I've read about all the valve issues the '04's have had and am wondering if I should just look elsewhere.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I've got several friends that have picked up low hour 04s, one is a TE250 that had extras and low hours. He paid just over 2000 for it.

even at 4k, you'd have a hard time selling it the moment your name is on the paper work for anything over 2700

I'd look for a low hour preowned one before buying a 2 year old left over unless they were low 3k onit. they are around for cheap

Oh GREAT - so what is my 06 TE250 going to be worth in 2 years??? ?

Much more because it's 50 state DOT legal! But you didn't buy it thinking it was an investment did you?

I knew it was not an investment.

Just did not think the drop would be as bad as indicated by this thread...

this shouldn't come as a surprise unless this was an impulse or unresearched purchase.

just look at ebay, Hienens has been dumping new bikes for well over a year for well under dealer cost

i bought a new 04 te 250 in august of 05. shipped to my local hub at $4200. i heard about the valve issues after i bought it ? . i still think it was a good deal for a brand new bike . ive been riding 50 to 60 miles once a weekend . when the valves go ill replace them . compared to the price and quality of a new rice burner , its a sweet deal . ive ridden the latest offerings from japan and have come to the conclusion that the 04 husky has a better build quality is less expensive and comes stock with supreme parts compare that to a 06 model with the added price of new and its a no brainer . :thumbsup:if anyone knows of a dealer selling brand new te,s in the crate for under 4000.00 please post a name , i woul like another . ?

I knew it was not an investment.

Just did not think the drop would be as bad as indicated by this thread...

Don't get to upset now. I think the 06 will hold standard value due to being street legal. ? This bike is in High demand all over and word is getting out. So, don't let the negative vibes of others get ya down. It's still worth every penny.

• 2 weeks later...