Sign in to follow this  

triple clamp bent?

it seems like my 91 dr 350 while riding it looks like it is turning slightly to the left....the bars are new, so i know that aint the problem, i recently bought the bike, maybe it was laid down or hit a tree, i dont know, but with the bars straight, it wanders a little to the right, then while driving straight, it looks like the bars are turned slightly left, could it be my forks are messed up? or is it the upper portion of the fork clamps that could be off? how does one check the line up? thanks.

Put the side of the tire against a post, tree, parking meter and while sitting on the bike twist the bars to straighten up the alignment of the upper and lower triple clamps. Use about half of your strength. If it doesn't move, loosen the pinch bolts a bit and try again. When finished weather you loosened stuff or not, torque all the bolts to spec. Also most bikes tend to pull a little to one side or the other; this maybe unrelated to the fork alignment or maybe it will fix it. It ain't rocket surgery.

I just posted this in a similar thread:

I currently have the same problem, but after hours of checking everything, I finally found the deal.

My right fork was sticking forward maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inches. I checked all the obvious stuff first and finally zero'd in on either bent forks or bent triple clamp. This was easy to check once I figured it out. With front wheel off, I rotated each fork housing 180 deg. in the clamp; if the forks were bent (which I'm told would be highly unusual) the bend would rotate to a different position... with straight forks in a bent triple clamp, the problem remains unchanged (i.e. the right fork still forward). Armed with my newfound wisdom, I began a more thorough examination of my triple clamp; sure enough, it's bent... and pretty respectably too.

Hope this is helpful.

yea, its helpful...i just wonder if that is my situation also....how did u determine that your fork is forward...did u use some type of straight edge? or could it be seen just using eyes.

My front wheel looked like it was slightly steered left when my bars and triple clamps were straight (in relation to frame and each other). With my front wheel off, I looked at the profile and compared the forks from both sides... I think I even had my fork guards off too. My right fork clearly had a different angle than my left fork which resulted in one axle clamp being further forward.

After spinning the fork housings to narrow down the problem (as described previously), I removed the suspected bent lower triple clamp. When I set the triple clamp on a flat surface, it would rock and was obviously twisted; this clearly explained what I was seeing with my fork/axle misalignment.

New triple clamp is on and problem is gone.

I think the tricky part in finding this, was I kept looking for the problem from the top and front; from these perspectives, only the symptom was visible, the problem was not.