Sign in to follow this  

450r vs. X; I know its an old topic but...

I need to buy a new bike. Well... don't need to but want to. I'm coming off an XR400, the majority of my time is riding ocotillo wells, occasional baja, morena valley, and mammoth area. I haven't been on a track for years, but might want to get back on a track just for fun. So, I am torn between the X or R. Since this is the R forum, I know there might be a bias towards the R, but wanted to get several opinions. Has anyone had red sticker problems with their R?

do a search man... there have been a grip of posts relating to your question!! that is if no one answers you!!

I Had the CRF450X for 10 months 20 GNCC / Enduro racing.

Sold the 450X 3/3/06 $6100.00

Purchased a New 2005 450R $5150.00 OTD

The 450X is a GREAT Trail Riding Bike, has the E Start

Calif. Green sticker

The 450R is a Motocross Racing Bike, light weight, quick handling

Calif. Red Sticker

The 450X is like a Super fast / Far better handling XR400, 100% of Team Honda used the XR650R to race the Baja 500 and 1000 in 2005. No R or X

The 450X/R have Valve Shim Reliability / Adjustably issue - it's a pain.. :thumbsup:

KTM has old school , just like your XR400 , Tapit Valves - a thought...

The 450R is like a CR250R 2 stroke / with power that will pull your arms off

90% of all the top GNCC/Enduro riders, use a 2 stroke :bonk:

Still confused: Like kicking over a 4stroke - want the Motocross quick

handling , then buy a CRF450R

Like Trail riding ,back woods adventure , like to push a button

to start your bike buy a CRF450X

You can make the CRF450R into a good Trail bike , just like you could do so with a 2 stroke CR250R - Heavier fly wheel , 18" rear wheel , Stabilizer , Baja Design lighting kits, $$$$$ Money is all it will take...

Will Honda use either bike this year 2006 in the Baja.. I'll bank on the XR650R will win one more year until honda gets the Valvle train issue under control....

I purchased the CRF450R 2005 screaming deal and there is still some out there

The KTM, is a great bike, but for $7000 plus dollars I would like to see more dealers than only 3 in a 150 square mile radius.

Good luck :thumbsup:

i ride a 450x and love it though it does get heavy when its laid over on the side of a steep hill.i came off of a modified rm250 set up for the woods loved it but now i dont know if i'll ever ride it again unless the honda brakes down.

I need to buy a new bike. Well... don't need to but want to. I'm coming off an XR400, the majority of my time is riding ocotillo wells, occasional baja, morena valley, and mammoth area. I haven't been on a track for years, but might want to get back on a track just for fun. So, I am torn between the X or R. Since this is the R forum, I know there might be a bias towards the R, but wanted to get several opinions. Has anyone had red sticker problems with their R?

Dude! just buy the "R" lighter, faster.... :thumbsup:

rode xr's for years,been riding crf's since 02,i really like the r's

I had this delima myself. Many factors to consider, most of all how and whear do you ride. I just got a 450R for District 37 Big 6GP's. A450R with wide ratio gear box would be my dream bike. I rode a X and R back to Back after having a KX500 for 3 years, the X was just too slow feeling. In reality I may be faster on an X though, becuase in GP events rarely does pure HP and Hit win races.

The powerband of the CRF is friendly to trail and riding outside pure MX with enough tourq to get you out of tight spots. So if you consider any "R" Bike for anything but MX I would get a 6 speed (Honda or Yama) Ironicaly the only off road team winning and riding 450 are the Kawi dudes with 4 speeds but those bikes are anything but stock.

coming of a xr4 you will have to get use to a differant line in the woods. the r's are the 2strokenest 4 stroke i have ever been on.they are a blast, but what you use to tractor up tou will want to bonzai

Buy the "R"! :thumbsup:

You can make the CRF450R into a good Trail bike , just like you could do so with a 2 stroke CR250R - Heavier fly wheel , 18" rear wheel , Stabilizer , Baja Design lighting kits, $$$$$ Money is all it will take..<<<<<

Sort of. I have come to the conclusion that you CANNOT make the CRF450R into the perfect trail/desert bike. 1st gear is WAY too tall and if you desert gear it it is even TALLER.

This makes the bike REALLY easy to stall on steep, rocky terrain like you get down in Mexico especially around Mike's.

I always thought the perfect bike would be the CRF450R with an estart, kickstand, heavier flywheel and a WR Tranny. But isn't that what the X is??

Yes the R is much lighter but after you add a Desert tank, light kit and estart it is NOT going to be lighter. It is going to weigh EXACTLY what the X weighs or more.

A 3.3 gallon desert tank alone filled with gas is going to add another 8*3.3=26.4 lbs of weight with gas weighing close to H2O which is 8lb.s per gallon.

There are LOTS of us in search of the PERFECT desert, trail bike but it DOESN"T exist. The KTM 525EXC is a serious contender but it too has a host of it's own problems. Suspension, handleing etc which are worse than Honda. It also has some things that are better but it is not perfect.

Someday there will be the perfect trail/desert bike but right now it doesn't exist. IMHO.