Sign in to follow this  

Fonseca down?

The bikes are getting faster.. and the tracks are getting more technical. Why isn't the protection becomming more sophisticated and useful?QUOTE]

But remember that the riders are getting a lot better. These guys are the best that have ever been. There will be better guys than them too. It is a sport where the greatness keeps on growing. It is a sport of danger and yet unbelievable thrill. You and basically everybody on here puts themselves in more danger driving down the street each day. The only thing that holds you in there is a seat belt. We all take risks being involved with the sport. These tracks are getting more dangerous because the riders are way better. It would be almost holding them back, not letting them ride on these tracks. It is something that is very dangerous and they put their necks on the line each week. But they are the BEST IN THE WORLD. To put them on a track that was ridden a long time ago by guys who would get literally killed now is asinine. Dont get me wrong, I dont want to see anybody get hurt and i feel for Ernesto. Just saying that these guys are totally capable in my opinion to be riding these tracks.

Wow that sux!!! I was just watching Superbike Racing in Daytona and found out when Hayden dedicated his win to Ernie. No doubt that everyone is pulling for him and highest hope he gets well soon.

Wow that sux!!! I was just watching Superbike Racing in Daytona and found out when Hayden dedicated his win to Ernie. No doubt that everyone is pulling for him and highest hope he gets well soon.

That was Rodger Lee Hayden winning the Daytona Supersport race. AMA Pro road racing lost one of it's most popular riders last year to spinal injury. If you were watching the Daytona coverage Thurs you saw a bit on Vincent Haskovic. The guy came to the USA from The Chec Republic TO race, and no other reason. He had just won the Daytona superstock race, and the next round hit a tire wall, end of career.

This was the latest on www.ernestofonseca.com

March 9, 2006 Torrance, CA – Team Honda factory motocross racer Ernesto Fonseca was injured while practicing on his private track on March 7, 2006. The Costa Rica-born rider suffered an injury to his spine, though it is not known at this time the extent of that injury. Fonseca is in good spirits and in stable condition at a hospital close to his home.

Further updates will be provided as news of his condition becomes available.

Those wishing to send cards and letters in support of Ernie can mail them to:

Next Level Sports Management

28202 Cabot Road,

Suite 300

Laguna Nigel, CA 92677

Here is the update as of this morning:

Ernesto will be going into surgery at 7:30am today to get C-6 and C-7 and C-8 fused together this will stabilize the break along with the Halo and the Plates that will stay in forever. They still can't give a scenario of what he will be left with as they don't know what damage has been done until they fuse everything there are also complications and stuff that can cause more harm when doing this very complicated surgery since they need to go through his throat and then flip him and go through the back of the neck. The Dr.'s are asking for people to be patient for a week or two as they don't want his emotions going up and down. After this surgery he will need 3 weeks to recover from the trauma.

That really sucks, me and my brother were just talking about how he was doing so well. I hope he makes a full recovery

The bikes are getting faster.. and the tracks are getting more technical. Why isn't the protection becomming more sophisticated and useful?QUOTE]

But remember that the riders are getting a lot better. These guys are the best that have ever been. There will be better guys than them too. It is a sport where the greatness keeps on growing. It is a sport of danger and yet unbelievable thrill. You and basically everybody on here puts themselves in more danger driving down the street each day. The only thing that holds you in there is a seat belt. We all take risks being involved with the sport. These tracks are getting more dangerous because the riders are way better. It would be almost holding them back, not letting them ride on these tracks. It is something that is very dangerous and they put their necks on the line each week. But they are the BEST IN THE WORLD. To put them on a track that was ridden a long time ago by guys who would get literally killed now is asinine. Dont get me wrong, I dont want to see anybody get hurt and i feel for Ernesto. Just saying that these guys are totally capable in my opinion to be riding these tracks.

When I asked that question I was speaking more toward the general 99.98% of riders who aren't racing professionally.

Although saying the protection isn't useful, at a profession level of riding... wearing most anything besides a helmet isn't going to prevent injury. The stress of taking a bad crash at the speeds those guys reach is going to exceed the tolerances of any knee brace or neck donut no matter what. Sadly, the only hope for them is to get lucky enough to "crash right" in the rare circumstance that they do go down, unless of course we're talking about James Stewart. :thumbsup:

Though how many average guys out there can use every bit of power on 450? Hell, even a 250 is too much bike for most people. To match these new speeds and advancements in suspension technology, track designers all over make the tracks much faster and less-forgiving, thus rasing the risks associated with riding these days. Hence better, CHEAPER protection needs to be offered to appeal to most people... especially the stubborn ones.

I do believe that one day.. wearing knee braces and some form of support for the spinal column will be as important to riders as strapping their helmet on.

Saw Ernesto today. Surgery went well. There have been some good signs, but he has a very long road ahead. It is still not clear the extent of spinal damage and probably wont be clear for a good deal of time. Keep praying for him.

Cy

Man, I am just hearing about this watching the Daytona race and I am totally bummed now. I wish/pray for a good recovery and even if he does not ride again, I hope for at least a "normal life." (If you can consider life with no motorcycles a normal life) :thumbsup:

After a major injury to my leg in 2004, I know that even a normal life "outside of motorcycles" is the most that an ailing person can wish for....

Get well, Ernie. I want only the best for you and hope to see you on the track again....

makes you wonder sometimes about the sport we have chosen.

so much fun but with big risks. you just have to not take everything for granted and be carful. but you can't stop living life to it's fullest.the day

you give up and stop is the day the bread truck takes you out. :thumbsup:

As long as the sport has jumps where if you come up short, you will hit a face and come to an abrupt stop, then we will continue to see horrible injuries.

Man I feel for Fonseca - he is truly a CLASS ACT! When my son was killed he sent some signed jerseys that were acutioned off at the first Memorial Race. I will definitely be praying for him - as well as for other riders who are hurt.

I have to wonder [even though it was a private track] when pro's start to getting hurt as frequently as they are - are the tracks being constructed to such a level that when a slight mistake is made - serious injuries result? How tough [extreme] is tough/extreme enough? What is wrong with holding track construction at a level where they were about 3 years ago.

Lets all pray that Fonseca make a full recovery!

Agreed. If the tracks are getting so bad that your in serious risk of getting badly injured from the slightest mistake, maybe they should tone them down a bit. We want to see good racing, and tough tracks, but not at the expense of our pro riders.

I didn't see the latest on this thread, if I heard Greg White on 2WTuesday today (just finished watching), EF is doing well and has had surgery(s); and he has been fitted for a halo system to continue his recovery and spine immobilization. He has use of his arms and his spine was bruised in the crash. Doctors are optimistic given his incredible physical shape and his positive attitude. My prayers are with him and his family.