yz426 or yz450

Hey, guys. I have a question about those two bikes. I do desert riding with absolutely not MX. I'm 5'10 140. Which bike would be better for desert riding? Also, how does the 426 compare with an '03 450 power wise?

Thanks,

Much2fear

Have you thought about going with a WR450F?? It has a wide ratio 5-speed tranny, etc. The 450 will have a little more power, but I think a 450 has more broader power than the 426, but the 03 450 still has a big hit.

My brother has the 426 and I ride it occasionally in the desert. I don't like it much because it has a 4 speed tranny. Also it has a significant difference in power as far as hill climbing goes. My CR250 rapes it on the long, steep, and thick sand hills. I would save the extra cash and get a 450. You won't be kicking yourself later.

My brother has the 426 and I ride it occasionally in the desert. I don't like it much because it has a 4 speed tranny. Also it has a significant difference in power as far as hill climbing goes. My CR250 rapes it on the long, steep, and thick sand hills. I would save the extra cash and get a 450. You won't be kicking yourself later.

426's have 5-speed trannys. And a 250 2-smoke better at hill climbing? No f'ing way.

I've owned several 426's and they are great bikes but the 450's main advantage (in my opinion) is the weight savings and a stronger & broader powerband. I definitely liked the 5 speed of the 426 better for non-mx riding though. If money is a factor then I'd go with the 426 so you have some $ left over to put towards hop-up parts. Auto decomp on the 450's is much nicer too. ?

I agree, theres no way a 2-smoke is better at hill climbing then a 4 stroke.
Well, my old CR500 was a different story, but other than that, I agree. Anyway, his brother's 426 would probably climb better if the transmission wasn't busted. ?

The 426 is a really, really good desert bike. But there are a number of trade offs between the 426 and 450. The 426 is heavier, the 450 hits harder (except for the '05). Then there's 5 speed vs. the 450's 4spd. You can install a WR450 5 speed in the YZ450, but it isn't cheap. The auto decompression feature can be added to the 426 very simply, so that's a wash. It's hard to say.

But if I were going to go out and buy a bike to use only for the desert, I would go with a WR450, drop a YZ450 cam set in it, an FMF exhaust, open up the air box, and lose some of the dual-sport pork, like the tail light, etc. You can make a WR450 weigh less than a YZ426 and still be an e-start unit, too. And then, you'd also have the wide ratio gearbox, as was mentioned already.

426's have 5-speed trannys. And a 250 2-smoke better at hill climbing? No f'ing way.

You fellas need to get your facts straight before you start calling me a liar. First of all, the 2002 yz426 has a 4 speed tranny. The 2001 came with a 5 speed. Or maybe I'm just making up pointless lies for my personal pleasure?

And second, who are you to make assumptions to what types of engine mods, gearing, suspension, etc... have been done to my CR250???? You see, not all 4 strokes are better that 2 strokes. Call me crazy, but you can make a 2 stroke close if not better than a 4 stroke.

And finally, you are probably wondering why I mentioned suspension? Well where I ride in the Mojave Desert, most of the hill climbs are whooped out at the base of the hill. Since I have my suspension professionally set up for my weight and the style of riding, I'm able to hit the whoops faster and attack the hill at a higher speed than let's say, a bike with stock suspension. With some good meat on my starcross tire, the cr does a pretty damn good job of making it up some pretty wicked hill climbs.

I'm just trying to offer some advice to the guy. I'm not insulting 4 strokes in any way. So don't get all butt-hurt. ?

You fellas need to get your facts straight before you start calling me a liar. First of all, the 2002 yz426 has a 4 speed tranny. The 2001 came with a 5 speed. Or maybe I'm just making up pointless lies for my personal pleasure?

I'm sure some others will chime in with their opinion, but I'm pretty sure all the 426's were 5 speeds. Unless I was miscounting my shifts all those years I had mine (I never was that good at math anyway ? )

2002 YZ426f specs: http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Yamaha/2002/YZ%20426%20F/

The facts are simple 1998-1999 YZ400 has a 5 speed, 2000-2002 YZ426 has a 5 speed, 2003-2005 YZ450 has a 4 speed, 2006 YZ450 has a 5 speed.

Look at the specs

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspeccompare/209/10/0/compare.aspx

And

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspeccompare/209/273/0/compare.aspx

This is the compairison between a 2006 YZ450 and a 2002 YZ426, and a compairison betweet the 2006 YZ450 and a 2003 YZ450

You fellas need to get your facts straight before you start calling me a liar. ...Or maybe I'm just making up pointless lies for my personal pleasure?
I never said you were a liar, you're just wrong. ? ALL 426's were built with 5 speed transmissions. It's remotely possible (because it didn't happen very often) that someone modified your brother's bike in the past and made it a 4 speed, but I doubt it. Even so, the statement that '02 YZ426's had a 4 speed is flat out incorrect.
And second, who are you to make assumptions to what types of engine mods, gearing, suspension, etc... have been done to my CR250????
I don't think we did that either. The fact is that I've never encountered a 250 two-stroke that was a better climber than a good running stock 426 with a competent rider. ? ..again
... don't get all butt-hurt.
:bonk:

I never said you were a liar, you're just wrong. ? ALL 426's were built with 5 speed transmissions. It's remotely possible (because it didn't happen very often) that someone modified your brother's bike in the past and made it a 4 speed, but I doubt it. Even so, the statement that '02 YZ426's had a 4 speed is flat out incorrect.

I don't think we did that either. The fact is that I've never encountered a 250 two-stroke that was a better climber than a good running stock 426 with a competent rider. :bonk: ..again

:bonk:

OK... all I'm saying is my brother's 2002 YZ426 is a 4 speed. I've ridden it plenty of times and counted 4 gears and my brother will tell you exactly the same. Maybe something has been done to it secretly, maybe not. I don't know. Take it or leave... I really don't care. :bonk:

And in regards to your comment about my CR250 AGAIN!!! (since you insist on beating it to death), my best advice is let's go ride sometime and I'll personally prove to you that I can hill climb it just as good and if not better than a 426. ?

Later, Nick

Well lets be fair here, anything you do to the suspension on a 2-smoke you can do on a four, so that would still make the four stroke out hill climb a 2 if they are both equal in settings right?? Its more in the rider then anything else. Except for a 500cc 2 smoke which is in a league of its own in hill climbing.

Well lets be fair here, anything you do to the suspension on a 2-smoke you can do on a four, so that would still make the four stroke out hill climb a 2 if they are both equal in settings right?? Its more in the rider then anything else. Except for a 500cc 2 smoke which is in a league of its own in hill climbing.

I agree. I ride a 04' YZ450 and my buddy has an 03' CR250. I can out run him every time every where except.........when it comes to hill climbing in the woods. He goes up things that I'm not even looking at trying. Then I'm damn it!!! ? Now I got to try it. ?

The reason we are like this is that he has many years of trail riding experience under his belt, while have very little trail experience because I was busy riding on my track on my dad's land.

I think a 4 stroke would be easier to climb a hill with, but its mostly the rider.

Tell me, is there an oil filler cap on the shifter side engine cover? (a black plastic fill cap, not a big slotted plug)

I'm not sure. The bike isn't in front of me. But I do know that there is a dipstick in the frame, above the gas tank. I don't know if that helps out any. ?