Sign in to follow this  

heavier fork oil?

i was goiing to respring my bike but funds ran a tad short this time around, got a new set of tires and new helmet instead. at any rate, i'm going to preload the front and rear more and with the front was thinking of mixing one quart of 5wt and one qt of 10wt for a 7.5. will this help or hurt the bikes offroad prowess?

Not at all, I first added another 2 inches of spacer into my forks, mixed 50/50

10w and 15w Bellray forkoil and the forks worked great.

In fact, I noticed very little / no difference going to the "better" fork springs

after that.

The back shock spring though is a different story. You can tighten up the

preload on the spring all the way till it's 9.5" long (unloaded) that will

give it some "life" but go with the Eibach rear spring from Jesse's store.

It's great. call him, give him your weight and he'll get you the right spring.

You'll love it.

BTW I weigh in at 230..ish so if youre a lot lighter than that .... well do the math

when you make your adjustments.

ok, the dealer showed me that the factory fork oil is 10wt so i got some of the 15wt. i did 5wt before in the forks because i thought that is what it took so it should perform much better with the new oil.

thanks for the info.

you can pull off each fork leg and pull the cap, remove spring and pump the fork with the open end pointed down and into a catch pan. refill to manufacturer's specs for amount. think it's 20oz per fork leg.

forgot to mention, i'm a light weight, especially at the moment at 165. i figure i can crank the rear down enough to work ok.

you can pull off each fork leg and pull the cap, remove spring and pump the fork with the open end pointed down and into a catch pan. refill to manufacturer's specs for amount. think it's 20oz per fork leg.

forgot to mention, i'm a light weight, especially at the moment at 165. i figure i can crank the rear down enough to work ok.

Sheeze 165 is a distant memory for me :thumbsup: yup that back will sit

right up if you crank the spring up and adjust the damping. This depends

on how hard you want to ride it though :thumbsup:

if it improves for sporty street riding alone i'd be satisfied. can't wait to get it back together this week. i'll update with feedback.

Mudshark, do you remember the size of pvc pipe to use as preload spacers?

I Was Hoping This Could Be Done With The Forks On The Bike....isnt There A Way To Get Rid Of The Oil Without Dropping The Fork Tubes?

Sure - loosen the upper clamp bolts, remove the caps and tip the bike upside-down. Otherwise you have to pull the forks - it is real easy.

BW- I weigh 175, I filled the forks with straight 10W (about 5.5" from the top)and put a 15mm donut on top of the stock springs (I also moved the stock spacer to the lowered arrangement). That setup feels good to me, mostly street riding so far.

Funny thing, I did that to the front, lowered the back with the kubalink spring from Jesse and set the rear sag to 3". After all that the stock (black) kickstand still works perfect. If funds allow I have been debating on the dualstar centerstand. Problem is they make one for stock and one for lowered - not sure which would work :thumbsup:

I put and additional 150 ml 10W in each fork and added .560" of preload. This is a whole new bike. Can ride it anywhere in the woods now. The rear spring....that's my next project.

do does all of this mean that the forks were soft from the get go,...i thought mine were soft just cause it was a 15 year old dirt bike..

Mine was soft from the get-go. They have to make a compromise for comfy street riding, so it suffers in the woods.