Standing while street riding??

Who else likes to stand on the pegs while cruising on the street?

I've found that in the 35-50 mph range (typical speeds on my local surface streets) it is supremely comfortable to stand for my 5'10" frame. Of course visibility is second to none (feels like I'm flying!). Works both ways too--I get a lot of looks and am hard to miss. Haven't had any police run-ins for standing yet. I'm kinda expecting some bored cop to stop me for doing something that looks so unusual and therefore must be dangerous. I've scoured my state's statutes and a motorcycle seat is on the minimum equimpent list but there is nothing that explicitly states a required riding postion other than handlebars must not be over 15" above seat level. If I do ever get a ticket for standing I'll likely fight it. I think it would be very difficult to prove I was riding recklessly given the style of the bike.

The downside is that my ability to react to an emergancy braking situation is hampered somewhat cause I've got to sit down before I can stop in the minimum distance. I always keep that in mind when standing.

Am I alone on this? Are there other downsides that I haven't thought of?

I would probably do it for maybe five minutes every half hour.....just to keep the ass feelin good. I would by no means do it all the time. Downsides: more wind resistance, worse reaction time and less ability to make quick course directions. I dont think any cop would have a problem with it, all you would have to say is you were just standing for a sec to get rid of the seat butt.

Your center of gravity is moved up much higher. Steering response will be much slower. Other than that I would say the main threat would be causing a wreck because some box driver was rubber necking at the guy riding his motorcycle standing up.

Was crusing through Ohio once and a guy riding a wheelie (from in view to out of view) at about 80+mph came up and passed us. Another car in the next lane came within about a foot of us as the idiot driver gawked at the wheelie rider. Strangest thing I've ever seen on the highway.

my dad was pulled over by the state cops on my xr650L after standing up for about 2 minutes, he got out of getting a ticket because of his iraqi freedom, and active military status, cops around here hate bikes, I guess thats just it ?

only reason i ever stand up is if a bump knocks me off the seat... i then realize it is to ruff to sit down. otther then that i always sit, you get way better traction in the dirt when sitting compared to standing. if you want some attention when you are riding just stand the bike up on the rear wheel.

Then the center of gravity must be the tire contact patches, because the weight of the bike and you are both on the this area. ? Actually the center of gravity is defined as the point of mass (bike and Rider) were the object can be balanced in any direction. So by standing and moving mass away from object center, vertically you are raising the center of gravity. Jeez, where did that come from , must be having college class flash backs again. I need to start drinking again. And put an end to these rational thoughts.

You'd probably be the one to have to prove you weren't guilty of reckless driving rather than the cop. The courts put more weight on the cop's word and initial ticket writing judgement.

But, it's not the same as driving a car while standing up or other such nonsense is it?

Still, other than when shaking off the monkey-butt, why push your luck?

Then the center of gravity must be the tire contact patches, because the weight of the bike and you are both on the this area. ? Actually the center of gravity is defined as the point of mass (bike and Rider) were the object can be balanced in any direction. So by standing and moving mass away from object center, vertically you are raising the center of gravity. Jeez, where did that come from , must be having college class flash backs again. I need to start drinking again. And put an end to these rational thoughts.

High center of gravity=less control. And that isn't college level knowledge, thats like 8th grade man.

Standing raises the center of gravity of the bike and rider combined, but it also allows a certain degree of uncoupling of the riders CG from the bikes. This allows you more lattitude in what you can make the bike do, but also allows you to move the bike out from under *you* with predictable consequences.

Weighting the pegs does not change the CG but does dramatically effect the way the bike handles.

Dave

Your center of gravity is moved up much higher.

standing actually lowers the center of gravity because all your weight is on the pegs rather then the seat.

Nope. Common misconception in the motorcycle world. I hear this all the time, "stand up to lower your CG." It's wrong. Period. CG is determined by the physical location of your mass, not where it attaches to the bike. It's a defined term with a specific meaning.

MB is quite correct, standing up raises your CG.

BTW, the same people that say "stand up to lower your CG" will also (typcially) say "when you lean forward, your CG moves forward." The only strange thing is that they don't seem to see any inconsistency.

--Soren

Standing lowers the center of gravity of the rider/bike combined. It transfers the weight of the rider from the seat to the pegs and from suspended to unsprung weight, this allows an easier shift of balance from front to rear as the bike/rider pivot at the pegs as opposed to pivoting at the ass/seat contact point which too often become seperated in little things like woops. Standing on the pegs raises the riders center of gravity in relationship to his position on the bike, thus making it more difficult to maintain the side to side shift in balance required for turning.

The main reason reaction time is slower is most people run their controls level at the bars-common for street. This forces you to either move your hand into an extremely uncomfortable position to clutch or brake, or too sit down before braking and clutching. Off roaders generally run their controls lower--my brake and clutch nearly point down because I always stand off road unless I'm braking hard or turning hard. It's all personal pref and condition dependent for the most part-some things you just simply can't do sitting (woops, obstacles) and some things you simply can't do standing (hard turn) at speed.

I stand corrected. I had the free body diagram as the bike only (with a representative downward force on the pegs), rather then both rider and bike as you had stated. By including both rider and bike, the cg is higher with the rider standing than when in the sitting position. I used the bike only because most riders are concerned with the cg of the bike by itself which can effect handling. Anyway, I did not mean to go on a tangent in this thread so I apologize.

Who else likes to stand on the pegs while cruising on the street?

I've found that in the 35-50 mph range (typical speeds on my local surface streets) it is supremely comfortable to stand for my 5'10" frame. Of course visibility is second to none (feels like I'm flying!). Works both ways too--I get a lot of looks and am hard to miss. Haven't had any police run-ins for standing yet. I'm kinda expecting some bored cop to stop me for doing something that looks so unusual and therefore must be dangerous. I've scoured my state's statutes and a motorcycle seat is on the minimum equimpent list but there is nothing that explicitly states a required riding postion other than handlebars must not be over 15" above seat level. If I do ever get a ticket for standing I'll likely fight it. I think it would be very difficult to prove I was riding recklessly given the style of the bike.

The downside is that my ability to react to an emergancy braking situation is hampered somewhat cause I've got to sit down before I can stop in the minimum distance. I always keep that in mind when standing.

Am I alone on this? Are there other downsides that I haven't thought of?

I think it's fun too. I don't do it so much in town, unless it's a long stretch with no stops, but more on the highway at lower speeds. People do look at you like you are some kind of nut job ?

I stand up on my pegs to stretch my legs, or to traverse rough terrain. I've heard of cops pulling people over for standing up on their pegs. Those cops don't ride motorcycles. The ones who do will tell you they stand up often for the same reason.

If a situation appears to be unsafe, any one of us here will assume a position that will most likely save our butts.

I would't want to hit the broad side of a car sitting down on my 650L.