04 ttr 125 not starting

hi i have a ttr 125 that hasnt been running right for quite some time. When i go to kick start it, the bike will idle for about a second or 2 and then shut off. The only way i can get it to start is to take off the hose going the the carb and spra y a shot of starter fluid in there a few times until it gets to an idle. After it gets warm enough if it get shut off it turns back on fine. Im thinking it has somthing to do with the fuel screw being set at too low of a setting to not let enough fuel in becuase also when its idling (when warm), it almost sounds like the bike is off. can sombody please help me?

I have a 2004 TTR225 that will not start if the gas has been in the carb for more than a week. All I have to do is shut off the gas if it was not already off, drain what is in the carb with a screwdriver, turn the gas back on and start it. Killed the battery several times before I learned that gas will not sit in there for more than a week. The tank is fine a month or two, but not in the carburetor. You may have a similar problem.

This is easier for me when bike has been sitting. Turn on fuel petcock and lean bike way over to one side until you get a steady stream of gas onto the floor. This will replace stale gas in float bowl with better gas in the tank. Even though both carb and tank are vented, the gas in float bowl will go bad sooner than gas in tank. Doing this will also confirm that fuel filter in tank is not plugged, that float needle is not stuck, that tank vent is not plugged, and that you are not out of gas. Idle setting needs to be high enough so that bike will start and run when cold with choke and no throttle.

I have a 2004 TTR225 that will not start if the gas has been in the carb for more than a week. All I have to do is shut off the gas if it was not already off, drain what is in the carb with a screwdriver, turn the gas back on and start it. Killed the battery several times before I learned that gas will not sit in there for more than a week. The tank is fine a month or two, but not in the carburetor. You may have a similar problem.

I didn't know this. I too am having a problem starting an 04 ttr125. I already spent a couple of hours screwing around with my wr450. Now I have to focus on the ttr125, especially since its my wife's ride.

Those yamaha's are harder to warm up than my old lady. But once they are warmed up... they are good to go!

I think I will be looking for a 125 service manual. I just got the thing last month and haven't even looked at it.

I didn't know this. I too am having a problem starting an 04 ttr125. I already spent a couple of hours screwing around with my wr450. Now I have to focus on the ttr125, especially since its my wife's ride.

Those yamaha's are harder to warm up than my old lady. But once they are warmed up... they are good to go!

I think I will be looking for a 125 service manual. I just got the thing last month and haven't even looked at it.

Change out your Pilot Jet.

See the stickied posts at the top of this forum.

Kevin

TT Mod

Proud owner of a TTR125 (although it is sitting in a U-Haul, 2 years now, at the Ex's).

Change out your Pilot Jet.

See the stickied posts at the top of this forum.

Kevin

TT Mod

Proud owner of a TTR125 (although it is sitting in a U-Haul, 2 years now, at the Ex's).

Tell me this again.... YOUR TTR is sitting in a u haul at your ex's for two years?

I bought the TTR for the ho, my (now) 18 yo daughter, 16 yo daughter (see avatar) and 10 yo son.

We already had a Z50 Honda, which is parked next to the TTR.

I did the minor mods to the TTR, and I rode it the most. My WR was too noisy and shredded my lawn.

Now in my apt, I have my WR420 parked in a bedroom, my 06 CRF450R in my living room, and my CB750 Honda parked on the sidewalk.

Legally I cannot do anything w/ the TTR. If I take it, I have to pay the ho bluebook $$$ from 2 years ago.

PA_Kevin, your story makes me sad... Really sad...

Sounds like you're doing better though. Better luck with the next ho.

And of course paying bluebook for the bike isn't an option. You could get another a lot cheaper than that and in probably better shape to start over with.

Doesn't sound like you'd have much time for another bike though... ?

PA_Kevin, your story makes me sad... Really sad...

Don't be.

I made my bed 15 years ago, and she gave me enough warning what I would have to tolerate.

I let the little head think for the big head...!!!

All I know is I no longer pay her $3000/month (yes...$3000/month) visa bill!!! ??

Excellent advice. I spent an hour trying to e-start the bike, then another 30 minutes trying to kick start it.

Then I recharged the battery and did it all over again.

Thanks to your advice, I drained 8oz of gas from the float bowl and it started on the second kick, even when cold.

Thanks for the help. This was a good lesson for me.