XR 400 handle bars

Hi all i am looking to get new handle bars for my XR. I like the look of the pro tapers and the renthal fat bars(ones without the cross brace). How do you guys like either of these? Are they good strong bars? Is one better than the other? I will need new bar mount adapters but what about my hand guards?

Do the bars taper down fast enough to use the 7/8" clamps for the hand guards or will I need new clamps for the guards too (EE hand guards)? Also I am 5'7" and don't find the stock bars to bad for height. Just a little higher would be nice so what bend should I be looking at?

Thanks Bertster.

I got the TAG fatbars with an Applied clamp. The aluminum bar helps with arm pump. You'll need a fatbar clamp for your handguards. The stocks will fit with longer hardware but, will move if you crash. Its one of those mods that makes the bike look and feel racie. Though the weight loss is not much, I'd recommend it.

Hi all i am looking to get new handle bars for my XR. I like the look of the pro tapers and the renthal fat bars(ones without the cross brace). How do you guys like either of these? Are they good strong bars? Is one better than the other? I will need new bar mount adapters but what about my hand guards?

Do the bars taper down fast enough to use the 7/8" clamps for the hand guards or will I need new clamps for the guards too (EE hand guards)? Also I am 5'7" and don't find the stock bars to bad for height. Just a little higher would be nice so what bend should I be looking at?

Thanks Bertster.

I never liked the look of pro-tapers (too glitzy-looking in gold or silver; maybe they make 'em in grey or black now, I don't know). I've been really happy with the Renthal Fatbars. Your EE guards will still work fine with either ProTapes or Fatbar, except you'll need to buy new inner mounts that are made for 1-1/8" bars (instead of 7/8").

Go with Pro Taper fat bars, they are STRONG. I've only ever seen one set bent, and that was from a high speed crash in a desert race in Central Australia. If you can afford it, go with an Applied Racing top triple clamp; this comes with the fat bar mounts.

If you like the standard bar height, I'd suggest you go with the CR Mid rise in the bars. To be sure, you can measure the rise and pull back of the standard bars and compare these to the Pro Taper specs. There's sure to be a bar to suit you.

Good luck.

Hey thanks for the advice guys. I think I may just go with some new 7/8" bars so I won't have to change anything. The fatbars look nice but it would cost alot to change everything over. So any recommendations on what 7/8" bars are good. Thanks Bertster.

I have the Applied clamp and Applied (I believe made by Easton) 1 1/8 bars with MSR Bark Busters and love them. I'm only 5'10" and always felt like I was falling over the bars and this made a huge difference. If you buy 1 1/8 bars you dont need to buy new inserts for the bars but you will need to buy new 1 1/18 mounts for the out side of the bars for your guards. They do sell them separate.

If you stay with 7/8 bars buy the Pro Tapers. They are by far the strongest bars I have ever owned. I actually never bent my 7/8 and I have bent or broke every other bar I have ever owned...I think I crash too much.

Spend the bucks and get the Pro Tapers. By the time you tweak the bendthals and have to replace them you’ll wished you would have gone with the PT’s.

Hey thanks for the advice guys. I think I may just go with some new 7/8" bars so I won't have to change anything. The fatbars look nice but it would cost alot to change everything over. So any recommendations on what 7/8" bars are good. Thanks Bertster.

i have executed several wipeouts where the bike actually landed upside down and stood on the handlebars. the pro tapers never even flinched. i use the windham bend (since they are the tallest).

all in all i was pretty amazed at the how cheap everything was. $75 for the bars, $30 for the moose adapters, and $15 for the bark buster adapters.

(ignore the stock brush guards in this pic)

DSCF0344.jpg

Spend the bucks and get the Pro Tapers. By the time you tweak the bendthals and have to replace them you’ll wished you would have gone with the PT’s.
Not true. I've had the same fatbar for several years and more hard crashes than I can count, and your Hi-Ho Silver or Glitz-Glam Gold PT's aren't any stronger than my normal looking gunmetal grey Renthal Fatbars. Either one will work just fine.