Sign in to follow this  

Chad Reeds injury was WAY!! OVERRATED!!

i will say that everyone's pain tolerance is different, but i think it was blown out of proportion. i had a severe dislocation to my left shoulder when the back end kicked on a jump my senior year of high school. i left for the start of marine corps boot camp 5 weeks later and it still hurt like all hell. i can promise that i would not have been able to ride only a few days after that incident.

Yeah, and you weren't even Chad's age. The pain is harder to deal with as you get older. He was definately hurt.

Hurt or not the annoucers acted as if he lost an arm, they gave him that sad mourning tone, it was just to much, he still raced, for that type of attention he should have been out of the race.

So bag on the media and leave Chad out of it.... I think alot of things are blown way out of proportion by the media. Sad thing is the person that may be involved may not have said exactly that or things may not be as bad as the media makes it seem. You have to look at the source. Chad said it was bad but he was going to do everything he could, I heard him mention many times that he thanked the medical team for the shot.

If you have ever dislocated a shoulder more than once or had a cort chot you would understand better.

I have in fact dislocated my shoulder on several occasions. The first time was some of the worst pain I have felt. the next time was less and so on. I have continued to ride right after and can tell you that it hurts like a bitch and that the pain felt the same day of the dislocation is nothing like the pain that will be felt in the day's to come..... :thumbsup:

I don't know about the rest of you out there but I was appauled at the way Chad Reed's injury was handled. I am not sure who is at fault. Either Chad Reeds publicists gave the media wrong information or the media just overreacted. I mean the way everyone was talking I was amazed to see Chad Reed on a bike at all. They were saying his season was over etc... Then we rode he won the semi and took second in the main. I am sure Chad was hurt and had some discomfort but to constantly remind us over and over and over again how amazing CR's performance was just about made me sick. It was blown way out of proportion and Chad Reed certainly played the injury card to a 'T'. He set himself up to look like a hero no matter how he performed. If he had a bad race it was because of his injury, if he had a good race it would be a miracle.

Sorry Reed, I don't buy it. Yes I am sure you were hurt but you still looked pretty good to me.

Have you ever dislocated your shoulder? I have, got stuck in a chain net from a basketball rim. I didnt want to do anything physical for almost 2 weeks. I for one am Shocked he was able to ride at all.

Kudos for him for finishing the race.

Edit: Reading more I see it wasnt a dislocation but a seperation. Still hurts but ya know what Chad didnt blow anything up, he didnt make excuses, he was gracious and happy about where he finished. Blame the announcers and the media and stop rip'n on chad for what others say. RC won a race, bubba whacked himself as usual and Chad rode smooth and true. Glad to see bubba get back up and ride on to the end of the race.

Also for the record a dislocated shoulder and a seperated shoulder are two different things. Chad Reed had a seperated shoulder. A dislocated shoulder is when the ball of your humerous (upper arm bone) is out of the glenoid (socket). A seperated shoulder is more of a seperation of the bones above the ball and socket of your shoulder. I have had both and the dislocated shoulder hurts much worse at first but as soon as its put back in place the pain goes away. I was off the bike for a couple days with the dislocatd shoulder. The seperated shoulder on the other hand caused much more permanent damamge (my shoulder still hurts from time to time) and I was off the bike for about a month.

Reed's injury was in no way played up. A dislocated should is extremely painful, often resulting in the inability to use ones shoulder, but reed went out there with with his 450 thumper, and whipped it around like he wasn't even injured.

I'm confused. :thumbsup:

The reports I've read say that he separated the shoulder, not that there was a dislocation. They aren't the same. Google it if you need explanation.

I've done both and can tell you that when it's a separation it depends on the degree. Much like burn degrees, they can range from mild to excruciating.

:thumbsup:

The cortizone shot must have been awesome because he didnt even seem to be favoring the shoulder...at all that I could see.

Yep, played the sympathy card.My Left sholder seperated 2 times finished the ski weekend with a little pain.Right sholder seperated it once,then dislocated it once and my right arm was parilized for 6 months,then seperated it agian 4 years later"that hurt"but still finished the ski weekend.Its been 6 years and my lower right hand is still numb but I can still hang on.

FINE!! if cortisone works so well then it takes away from the miracle factor and further emphasizes my point that this was WAY!! OVERRATED!! Many athletes play through pain. It is part of the sport.

Quit your bitching. You sound like a little girl. Reed had a separated shoulder. That's a medical condition. If you've ever had one, you know it f-ing hurts. He thanked the medical staff after the race for his "shot". To me, that means cortizone. If you've ever had one, (I have), you know it allows you to overcome significant pain. But, you also pay for the pain on the backend when the cortizone wears off. Depending on the injection, and the combination of pharmeceuticals, that could mean hours or days later.

The NFL of the 70's and 80's lived off cortizone. Does that mean they were wimps, or over-rated the pain they suffered through? No, it sure as hell doesn't.

Did the media over-hype the significance of Reed's injury? Maybe, maybe not. Did Reed over-hype his condition? Who the hell cares? Until you are standing next to him on the podium, shut your mouth. You haven't earned the right to be critical of him.

Quit your bitching. You sound like a little girl. Reed had a separated shoulder. That's a medical condition. If you've ever had one, you know it f-ing hurts. He thanked the medical staff after the race for his "shot". To me, that means cortizone. If you've ever had one, (I have), you know it allows you to overcome significant pain. But, you also pay for the pain on the backend when the cortizone wears off. Depending on the injection, and the combination of pharmeceuticals, that could mean hours or days later.

The NFL of the 70's and 80's lived off cortizone. Does that mean they were wimps, or over-rated the pain they suffered through? No, it sure as hell doesn't.

Did the media over-hype the significance of Reed's injury? Maybe, maybe not. Did Reed over-hype his condition? Who the hell cares? Until you are standing next to him on the podium, shut your mouth. You haven't earned the right to be critical of him.

The last time I checked we live in a free country and I am allowed to express my opinion which is all that I am doing. If you feel that I am wrong then fine disagree but to say I have no right to be critical is 100% false.

If anyone has seen the video of Stewarts crash you can see that Reed almost does the same thing and comes damn close to going over the bars......I would think a damaged or weak shoulder, shot or no shot would have gave way :thumbsup:

He might be the "Man", but I still think it was " Hyped-up" a great deal.:thumbsup:

The last time I checked we live in a free country and I am allowed to express my opinion which is all that I am doing. If you feel that I am wrong then fine disagree but to say I have no right to be critical is 100% false.

OK fine. I can deal with that. Reed expressed his opinion, that his shoulder hurt, and you jump all over him for it. Whatever.

Next time, before you go suggesting Reed (or any other professional athlete) is a wimp because he overplays his pain, think about this: He races professional motocross. That takes a level of skill, dedication, sacrifice, and pain tolerance that few of us even comprehend. You won't ever even come close to doing what he does. So what does that make you :thumbsup: ?

Ever heard of a Cortizone shot?????

I've had 3 of them ....one about an hour ago. They don't work that fast.......it can take as little as 24 hours but is more like 2/3 days before they work.

I've had 3 of them ....one about an hour ago. They don't work that fast.......it can take as little as 24 hours but is more like 2/3 days before they work.

Thats right....so I wonder just what was in the "wonder shot" they gave him.

Wasn't the injury the day before the race during practice?

Did they give him the shot then?

Thats right....so I wonder just what was in the "wonder shot" they gave him.

He seemed a little out of it. Maybe they shot him full of morphine. He looked relaxed for once instead of crying and whining the whole time. :thumbsup:

He seemed a little out of it. Maybe they shot him full of morphine. He looked relaxed for once instead of crying and whining the whole time. :thumbsup:

Thats what I was thinking to but just didn't want to say it. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::bonk::bonk::bonk::eek::eek:

Dude! did forget to change your diaper today?

I can summarize this thread and all Chad Reed Threads.

1. Chad Reed is a homo.

2. Chad Reed isn't a homo.

3. You are a homo.

4. No way, STFUp, you're the homo.

Rinse and repeat. :thumbsup: