Sign in to follow this  

The BEST skid plate

I am looking for a good skid plate. Not necessary the prettiest, or lightest, or cheapest, or most expensive, or most popular. Naturally I would like to get the best for my $$.

My main concern is PROTECTION.

Second is COST.

Third is LOOKS.

Forth is NOISE.

Last is WEIGHT....I could lose a couple of lbs. and make up the difference.

The Works Connection, Utah, and Flatland appear to meet the PROTECTION, with the WC being more than twice as high. Is it worth the extra COST? I like the LOOKS of the WC the best.....but LOOKS is only the 3rd most important characteristic.

The Unabiker is not available yet for the 450X.

I understand that the NOISE level is lower with the Eline Carbon-Kelvar....but will it stand the beating the Aluminum will take, and is it worth the extra COST?

Any help/knowledge would be appreciated. Otis

First addition to my new bike was the Works Connection skid plate and radiator braces. I thought the skid plate was a little expensive but the cost of a cracked case quickly put that thought to rest. I ride desert and dunes. Have used the skid plate plenty in the desert. Glad I made the decision. WC skid plate fits well. Only complaint is when servicing. Hard to get all of the oil off the plate between the frame and skid plate.

I've been using the E-line for the past year. It's not the cheapest, but the protection is excellent. It has survived a full race season here in the VA, PA, WV, MD mountains, which tend to be rock laiden and will get another beating this year.

Best protection, Best price.....Nuff said.

flatland001.jpg

Is that a Flatland plate?

I like my WC for its durability and it doesn't reflect as much noise as the shovels.

Only complaint is when servicing. Hard to get all of the oil off the plate between the frame and skid plate.

I simply spray parts cleaner there, and it all comes out. I really don't care if there is any residue where I can't see. Besides, a little oil residue would keep the mud from sticking. :thumbsup:

I've been using the E-line for the past year. It's not the cheapest, but the protection is excellent. It has survived a full race season here in the VA, PA, WV, MD mountains, which tend to be rock laiden and will get another beating this year.

I agree with Boy Honda, I think the e-line looks the best and takes a very good hit. They can take a serious beating and still look good. I have never thought about the noise but any one you get you will give some extra noise that you will not notice after an hour or two on the bike. Don't forget about their pipe guard... Check my garage to see what they look like on the bike.

I have a skidplate for my iron mule i dont need, i'll give it to u. PM me for more in to the foe

Hey Lewis, you mail box is full!

A vote for works connection. I got mine for $130.00 at my local shop. Weight did not really make that much of a difference, since its such a low center of gravity. :thumbsup:

That was a steal! Can you provide a name and number :thumbsup:

$130 is still near twice the price of the Flatland.

But some of us who have the WC believe we got what we paid for. If the WC wasn't ever available then I'd settle for the Flatland or e-line. I didn't want the cheapest, I wanted what I thought was the best....that's why I got the Honda and not a cheaper bike.

But some of us who have the WC believe we got what we paid for. If the WC wasn't ever available then I'd settle for the Flatland or e-line. I didn't want the cheapest, I wanted what I thought was the best....that's why I got the Honda and not a cheaper bike.

First of all I am glad your happy with your purchase.

Just because the Flatland is more than half the price of the WC does not mean it is not actually more functional than the WC skid. Yes the WC is a nice skid, looks good and appears to be sturdy. Theres more to a good skid plate than that, with the flatland when you get into a situation where you actially contact rocks or any other obsticle you will glide through the obsticle and not hang up on it, this keeps your forward momentum up, there's not sharp edges to hang up on and all of the sensitive ares are well protected from the front AND sides. Now the WC plate is a little different, it has very sharp edges with flat areas to hang up on the rocks, when you hit a rock with the WC your forward momentum is more likely to be halted due to hanging up on the obsticle, you are more prone to wedge between the rocks ECT, The WC plate offers no side protection (helpful if bike gets dropped into a rock garden) .

For me personally its all about FUNCTION, it just so happens in my opinion that the Flatland plate not only functions better it comes at a way better price. No compromises here better price better function.

First of all I am glad your happy with your purchase.

Just the same. My experience, and noting the Flatland plates I've seen, those unsupported side wings offer little protection when the come in contact with rocks. Sure, it's better than the stock plastic things, but not much more than that. The WC does not get hung up in rocks. It glides over/through them just fine. The WC also offers more clearance on the side areas.

I find that the WC is more functional, so there! :thumbsup:

Some good points have been made for each of them. I think the Flatland and the Utah appear similar made, but the Utah does not have the holes....which I prefer......just to keep mud from building up. For now, still thinking and deciding.

I run the E-Line on my 450X. It is smooth, protective, and incredibly durable when grinding over nasty rock sections. I also tote my bike on a Moto Jack Rack and with the Eline it's no problem.