Sign in to follow this  

SUBTANKS!! Too good to be true?

Ive been hearing some good things about sub tanks for your forks. Do they work as well as Ive been told? Ive been told that they make the top amazingly plush but still give the firm give you need on the big hits. Are they worth the money? Do alot of people use them? What is a good brand, that also has a good price? I hear there are some good knock off companies that sell them for cheap, are they any good? Ive got my suspension revalved, and its good, but will these subtanks take me to the next level? Thanks.

A skeptic (that's me :thumbsup: ) would say that if sub-tanks were really that great, the suspension & bike manufacturers would have put them on the bikes they're selling.

Just another aftermarket company trying to make a buck.

Just my .02 though. :thumbsup:

I hear they work great. John Curea is going to use a set on the DRZ-475TT project bike. I would get Enzo sub tanks, as they seem to be the most imitated.

They are just about what you describe. I think the reason we dont see them oem is cost and looks.

Seriously, try a set or build some. The instructions have been posted here many times.

A close friend of mine had Enzo do his 05 YZ250F (shock/Fork), revalve, subtanks, slider coating. It was the best suspended bike I have ever ridden, extremely plush with no deflection and it still soaked up large/high speed hits.

That being said, he had issues with the seals constantly leaking after Enzo worked on them. The fork sliders were gone over for knicks/scraps, bushings replaced, etc and nothing would fix it for the long haul. When he pushed Enzo about it they basically denied it was their work and sent him a few sets of seals/bushings for the rebuilds. For the $1,500+ he spent I personally would be POed with such lame support after the sale, on his 06 he went with RG3 because of the bad experience.

Just a real world scenario for you to think about.

I have heard that on the really good forks, Like the new Showas, they do not have as much impact on as a mediocre fork like a 2 year old Kayaba.

Ive been hearing some good things about sub tanks for your forks. Do they work as well as Ive been told? Ive been told that they make the top amazingly plush but still give the firm give you need on the big hits. Are they worth the money? Do alot of people use them? What is a good brand, that also has a good price? I hear there are some good knock off companies that sell them for cheap, are they any good? Ive got my suspension revalved, and its good, but will these subtanks take me to the next level? Thanks.

Check out www.aircellracing.com :thumbsup:

I just put a set on my 02 250f. I haven't got to really ride with them yet except down the property but the front end does feel a lot more planted and smoother.

There are so many brands to choose from... Enzo, Framebreaker, Air Cell, Too Tech, Tech Care...

I really like the Framebreakers which is the setup I went with. They are carbon fiber tanks with carbon fiber holders. They have an adjustable valve and push button air bleeders(very cool). They also thread into the stock bleed screws which I liked. Made installation a snap. Plus, for being a TT member, you can contact Framebreaker and get a discount price of $250 instead of $350 like everyone else has to pay.

Check out my garage for pics of them.

Josh

Sub tanks work. They work in theory and they work on the ground.

I haven't researched the topic yet, but I would imagine the reason they're not showing up on the pro's bikes would have something to do with the ' production rule '.

If that's the case, they'll probably start showing up on some production bikes in the near future.

I could very well be wrong. It's not like I haven't been wrong before :thumbsup:

I've been installing them on fork's left and right, and nobody, and I mean nobody has had one single complaint about them in the performance department.

Only complaints so far are in reference to the manner in which some sub-tank units are mounted. We're curing those problems as they arise though.

...you know, I really should get some for myself!

I haven't researched the topic yet, but I would imagine the reason they're not showing up on the pro's bikes would have something to do with the ' production rule '.

pros dont use them? acually team yamaha of troy always runs the enzo subtanks for years now, if u go to a nationals race and check out the bikes up close u'll notice theres usually a handfull of other riders using them too..i have a set of there custom ones off the yamaha ot troy race bike...they work awsome

I went in the search menu to see if I could find instructions on how to make them but I cant find any. Can someone post a link for instructions? Thanks.

pros dont use them? acually team yamaha of troy always runs the enzo subtanks for years now, if u go to a nationals race and check out the bikes up close u'll notice theres usually a handfull of other riders using them too..i have a set of there custom ones off the yamaha ot troy race bike...they work awsome
pros dont use them? acually team yamaha of troy always runs the enzo subtanks for years now

Thanks for the correction, Kx250FRiDeR651

Doesn't surprise me in the least. The cost/performance gain is, in my opinion, at the very top of the heap right now.

With my subtank I am able to run the oil at the max height. By adjusting the flow controll the fork feels like the oil is at the lowest level.

It is similar to being able to controll the oil level with a heck of a lot less work.

The subtank also lets you tune for more comfort without giving up bottoming controll.

I'm running standard oil level right now because I haven't got to the track with them yet. If you go real big, or are just heavy, you may want to add more. To add all you do is get a little syringe and stick it in the bleed screw and add oil in 10mm increments.

You want to keep the tanks tuned so that they are perfect in the middle of the adjustment range. I.E. You are bottoming at 6 turns out and at 4 they are too harsh. So you'd run with 5 turns out.

Another thing I like about the Framebreakers over other brands is that oil doesn't collect in the tanks like I've herd happens with other companies. I'll post a ride review soon.

Josh

Another thing I like about the Framebreakers over other brands is that oil doesn't collect in the tanks like I've herd happens with other companies. I'll post a ride review soon.

Josh

True...I'm not trying to defend enzo...but Ive been using their subtanks for the past 4 years and it takes ALOT of riding for oil to get trapped, and when it does get trapped its like a teaspoon full...it takes about 30 seconds to get rid of the oil...so either way pick whatever brand you like cuz they all do the same job just as good..

I have RG3 suspension and aircell subs and the tanks make great suspension even better!they work and are worth every penny,at least in the rough stuff :thumbsup:

I think a good combo would be to run the forslyk, get a revalve, and these subtanks. You can really spend alot of money for a plush ride cant you? I mean if you add up all the things you can get its like subtanks, fasst flexx bars, tru technologies rider control clamp, revalve, fork coating, steering dampener, and the list goes on. No wonder the pros can ride so fast, all that stuff is like over a 1000 dollars.

Yeah I've herd the sub tanks perform the best when you've got a fork revalve to go a long with them. I'm taking mine down to Moto Pro next month.