'05 TTR230 only starts in neutral?

I just bought a (practically) new 2005 TTR-230. It says in the manual that it is able to start while in gear as long and the clutch is pulled. This doesn't seem to be the case with my bike however. I have a 2002 TTR-225 and it can start in gear but the 230 won't. Is this a misprint or is mine messed up?

Thanks

Spin

Bear with me here because I'm a newbie. I looked at the clutch and considered tightening it (which would ensure its pulling out all the way right?). However, when I pull my clutch and then push the lever on the engine block with a screwdriver, I can't get it to move anymore anyway, leading me to believe that it is already pulling out all the way. My 230 and my 225 both seem to have somewhat fishy clutches. When the bike is cold they barely pull out at all. If I rock the bike forward and backward when it is fairly cold it hits hard on the gear one or two times before finally rolling, and even then the clutch drag (is that the right term?) is tremendous (the bike is really hard to push). By contrast my dad's Honda 230 has minimal drag. Is there something that I can try to fix this? Anyone else out there with a ttr230 know if this is normal?

Oh. When you say I might need to adjust my clutch, does that mean that my bike should start in gear with the clutch pulled?

Thanks

Spin

Your clutch lever perch has a switch that allows you to start when the transmission is in gear and the clutch is pulled in. Check that little plastic switch, the wires can easily get torn or the switch can easily pop out. It has nothing to do with the clutch itself (except for the neutral switch which is apparently working correctly on your bike).

That has been confusing me. There does not appear to be a switch of any type near my clutch, other than the kill switch. The only cables running to the forks are the clutch cable itself and the kill switch cable. There is, however, a mysterious hole in the bracket where the clutch pivots. Is this where a switch should be do you think? I found this schematic on the Yamaha parts catalog for my bike.

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/104/ttr230clutchswitch6zo.gif

The item labled 10 is referred to simply as a switch. It appears to plug into the hole which is empty on my bike. Is this the clutch switch? If so, it appears that I am missing it. If I order a new one would anyone be able to tell me where to plug the electrical end in?

Thanks

Spin

Adjust clutch cable so that you have about 1/4 inch of free play in clutch lever before you feel the clutch spring resistance. It is common for bikes to be hard starting with clutch pulled in because of normal drag on clutch plates ESPECIALLY when motor is cold and with too heavy motor oil. Just start the bike in neutral when motor is cold.

SpinDRJR,

Will the starter on your 230 turn over while in gear and clutch pulled in? If it doesn't even turn over, but starts fine with the transmission in neutral, then it is the neutral safety wiring. If your clutch is missing the lock out switch, then look for the connector in the wiring harness. I don't know where the connector is located on your bike. Look behind your number plate and under your gas tank.

Hey, Spin

Glad you found the missing connector. Just wanted to let you know that my wife has a 2005 tt-r 230 and it too was very hard to push when new. DON"T worry this will go away after you break in the bike a little bit. After a few rides I could push it as easy as my wr450. Also, if you take off your clutch handle you'll see exactly how your saftey ( anit start while in gear switch) works