Sign in to follow this  

04 Crf450r Coolant / Overflow Leak

Here is my new problem. I took my bike into the shop two weeks ago for a coolant leak. It was leaking from the water pump. They told me the seal on the impeller was bad. After replacing it, they did the test ride and found it now pouring out of the overflow tube. At first they thought it was a blown head gasket. After doing a pressure test, they found that was not the problem. They then tried a new radiator cap, and still, it is leaking. They are going to try one more type of pressure test and the mechanic seemed sure he could fix it. He told me that coolant systems aren't that complicated. What else could it be???????

I am supposed to go riding this weekend, leaving Friday morning, and I am freaking out. I told the mechanic at the Honda dealership that I would give him a $100 tip and get this thing done in two days. Please help.

Here is my new problem. I took my bike into the shop two weeks ago for a coolant leak. It was leaking from the water pump. They told me the seal on the impeller was bad. After replacing it, they did the test ride and found it now pouring out of the overflow tube. At first they thought it was a blown head gasket. After doing a pressure test, they found that was not the problem. They then tried a new radiator cap, and still, it is leaking. They are going to try one more type of pressure test and the mechanic seemed sure he could fix it. He told me that coolant systems aren't that complicated. What else could it be???????

I am supposed to go riding this weekend, leaving Friday morning, and I am freaking out. I told the mechanic at the Honda dealership that I would give him a $100 tip and get this thing done in two days. Please help.

Pouring out of the overflow tube , like the entire 1.8 qt. or 5 oz. ?

Did the shop use the 2006 impeller or drill a small hole in you current impeller ?

Did they fill the coolant:

1.) Fill with coolant , bike level, engine off

2.) Start the bike , while level , not in gear

3.) Take the radiator cap off (while bike was cooled, also makes sure the

impeller is working) top off with coolant,

4.) Test drive the bike then about 5 oz. of coolant over flow ?

If so then go ride.

Poured out, 10 oz. or more, then sounds like the impeller is not working...

Did they torque the Impeller to 9 ft.pounds ?