what the

ok, rode sunday, no problem. started bike today crazy sound-sounded like pistons hitting the top of the engine(ping,ping), like no oil in the bike. my friend said do not ride. found 2 rmz guys, the 1st guy had no idea, the 2nd said my valves needed adjusted, and while they were in there check the noise.

05 rmz not a year old, maybe 20-25 hrs, i drop the oil every 2-3 rides, adjusted the cam-chain with no problems, and lets face it i am not that fast. could the valves make that type of noise? what should it cost? i have the horrible luck. please help!

ok, rode sunday, no problem. started bike today crazy sound-sounded like pistons hitting the top of the engine(ping,ping), like no oil in the bike. my friend said do not ride. found 2 rmz guys, the 1st guy had no idea, the 2nd said my valves needed adjusted, and while they were in there check the noise.

05 rmz not a year old, maybe 20-25 hrs, i drop the oil every 2-3 rides, adjusted the cam-chain with no problems, and lets face it i am not that fast. could the valves make that type of noise? what should it cost? i have the horrible luck. please help!

Make sure that u adjusted the cam chain the right way.....pull the cover off and check clearences....Make sure ur at tdc on the compression stroke....if that is tight....go ahead check the valves while ur in there....how many hours do u have on the bike???and do u rev the shit out of it...meaning do u know when to shift or are u a biggening rider?????I have 180+ hours on my 06 and stillvalves are in spec..........check the easy stuff before tearing into the motor....check oil.....Good thing u have'nt ridden on the bike....u wanna make sure that nothing serious has occured!!!!!!!!!!! ?

i'll check the timing chain again, i thought i did it right. i do panic rev. every now and then, but i do not over rev, least i do not think so? last 2 rides i did slop around in the mud, and i know that is hard on a bike. ok, if the valves need adjusting what is the cost going to be?

also no compression problems, and the bike starts right up.

i'll check the timing chain again, i thought i did it right. i do panic rev. every now and then, but i do not over rev, least i do not think so? last 2 rides i did slop around in the mud, and i know that is hard on a bike. ok, if the valves need adjusting what is the cost going to be?

also no compression problems, and the bike starts right up.

did u make sure to check the oil........and valves are really easy to do....just get a feeler gage and all the specs are in the manual............if u were to have it done by a mechanic I would say roughly 135.00$$GOOD LUCK ??

If your you do everything suggested in the above posts, and you still here the knock, then I'll put money on its your big end bearing on your rod.

there seems to be a issue the with some of the RMZ 450....it happened to mine with about 25 hours on it.

good luck, 715

ok, talked to a mechanic $150.00, valves are to tight, sucked up and are hitting something, sorry forgot what he said. but that is the pinging noise. told me a lot of stuff about 4 strokes, and honda vs suzuki. lets just say i am glad i have a suk... thanks for the input and i will tell you what happens.

also i know there was a thread about oil, he said just be safe and use the oil with ma or jaso on the back, becouse if you use the wrong one it will cost $$$$$$$$ in the end.

ok, talked to a mechanic $150.00, valves are to tight, sucked up and are hitting something, sorry forgot what he said. but that is the pinging noise. told me a lot of stuff about 4 strokes, and honda vs suzuki. lets just say i am glad i have a suk... thanks for the input and i will tell you what happens.

also i know there was a thread about oil, he said just be safe and use the oil with ma or jaso on the back, becouse if you use the wrong one it will cost $$$$$$$$ in the end.

have u gotton the bike back yet? I think your mechanic is full of crap about the valves hitting something ..

Sorry for your misfortune,but I know of plenty oils that are jaso and ma rated that are way overpriced and the make-up isn't any better than store brand oil. Did the mechanic tell you the problem with the valves just by listening or did he tear it down.It is hard to believe that the valves are banging the seats already with 25hrs.Look I do not want to cause you anymore grief,but cover your ass ask questions.The oil that you used has nothing to do with the valves tightening up,if that is the truth ,that is the combustion area.I just want you to know I have over 90hrs on my 05 WITH A NON RATED MA JASO oil,keep my valves and Cam chain in check every 10 hrs. 2 adjustments on the chain and 0 on the valves.COVER YOUR ASS! Another thing if the valves were hitting the seats it will cost more than 150.00,you should get new valves and seats cut plus springs etc.If the valves were hitting the seats and he just shims the valves,be prepared to have them fail again. Sorry,but it is very hard to believe knowing the history of the RMZ450,that the valves are the culprit. Good luck and remember cover your ass! ?

i'm sorry just read my own thread, pistons are hitting and making the noise, not the valves. it is a simple valve adjustment and i have had the bike 10 month with about 40 hrs. thats sound about right now that i really think about how much i ride. next i am going to learn how to adjust my own valves.

i'm sorry just read my own thread, pistons are hitting and making the noise, not the valves. it is a simple valve adjustment and i have had the bike 10 month with about 40 hrs. thats sound about right now that i really think about how much i ride. next i am going to learn how to adjust my own valves.

This sounds like even more BS. ?

10-4. First of all I hope the valves hit the seats, if not you would have little or very little compression. Then that would mean valve(s) are distorted (pulled up). If the valve timing is out it could cause interference but the engine would not run very long, bent valves no compression. If the valve(s) are not seating the valve lash would be very tight if any at all. Check your valve lash first, then check your timing. Cut your oil filter open next, bottom end problems and possible interference would show up here. See if the material (if any) is ferrous or not. Go from there. If it is interference will probably see signs once the cap (cyl. head) is removed. You really need to adjust the TC according to the manufacturer, it can make a racket if you don't. ?

I think we are wasting are time,He made it sound like the valves were pounding the seats.Then comes back and replies the piston is hitting something,so his mechanics says..We are giving him advice,but he totally ignores it.Let him learn the hard way!

the only thing the valves can hit on the bottom side of the valve is the piston if they did that the bike would not run after about 3-4 second of doing that and the other thing they are going to hit on the top side is the valve is the cam witch the are mint to ride on that is what make you motor breath in and out so to speak... any ways what i am getting at is you valve tolerances are probably to loose check you clearance like the above posts you mechanic i think is trying to F$$K you. ?

thanks for all the help, i am listening, i just do not know. trying to learn as much as possible. i am picking up the bike today. i will try to remember everything the guy said and did to the bike. if i get f@#& i will learn from it. when i told my friend about all this he thinks i have almost 80 hrs on the bike. i do not know if it makes a difference or not. get back to everyone today. thanks

1st thanks for all the help. just got back $150 later, new plug, oil, adjusted the valves, and i thought he said something about 6-10, is that the spacing or adjusting? but the real problem the cam chain was real loose. was off or scipping 3 teeth and banging thus the noise. anyway he said i should be able to go forever before my next check. also took the time and showed me how to tighten the cam chain. maybe i got screwed i'll just have to keep learnig. but my bike is ready to ride.