Sign in to follow this  

Hard Starting CRF 450

My 03 Crf 450 acts like it wants to start.A fresh leg(i.e.friend)will usually get the job done,Or a quick push.Once it's warm no problem.Other 450s start so much easier.IT DOES have fresh Kibbles,fuel screw at 1-1/2 to 2.Any ideas?Carb rebuild? Bad stator? Thanks :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Check the valves. Even though they are fresh. Valve clearence can change quickly.

My cfr450x is a bastard to start, it takes aboot 20 minutes to get it running. &%$#@!?? also (this is my first 4 stroke, had a kx500) the bike seems to get hot really fast, the pipe gets red after only a few (15 to 25) seconds of running, I know that the bikes are set lean from the factory for emissions but this bike has a 165 main jet and a 45. Soooo &%$#@!??? I got this bike DIRT cheap due to this issue and Im a good mech (diesel for 10 years) but I dont really know the in's and out's of this bike. Any suggestions? I gather I need to check the vavles, thatll be in tommorows wrenchin time. Does the decomprestion circut get out of wack as easily as the rest of the valving? seems like it could be a major factor.

HAHA!! I fingered it out. The darn cam was a tooth off! Whom ever worked on this bike before was a tool shed, Cam off a tooth, carb was missing screws, pilot screw way out of wack, clamps between the carb and head were loose, and the two screws on the cam gear were mangled. Some folks should just leave the wrenching to others.:applause: