Thinking about buying a Chinese bike?

Read this and learn something

It has the loss of jobs number per state. ?

I dont think you are getting it. Its not the place its made, its the quality and price. Americans need to build quality and at an affordable price. Buying overinflated garbage to "reciprocate a favor" amongst union members buying only union made is doing nothing for the quality or price. I tell you what, you make all my money and then you can make all my purchasing rules. Until then, give me quality and a reasonable price. Otherwise,. I'm not buying it! How much you want to bet almost ever piece of riding gear you own was made in China?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost all Toyotas are built in the US, there is 14 models, 5 are made in Japan. On the US models, all are close to around 75%. 5 out of 14 isnt. Sure, the 5 made in Japan has lots of Japan made parts. It doesnt matter how much is made here, it wont mean anything to you. US made is US made. I'd like to see your link to show me its at 41%, but for the sake of arugument, a Japanese company with close to half isnt bad. How much US content in your WR? Where was your riding gear made (look close) how about youre helmet, boots, all your Moose gear back, tool wrap, motin pro tools??? Hmmmmmmm? So you see where i'm going. Its not US made for you, its GM made.

I Actually heard it on a local car talk radio show, but a quick google search found a couple links for ya http://www.hoskinschevrolet.com/WhyBuy%20American.htm

No idea what the domestic content of my WR is, until our government forces the japs to disclose it, theres no way of knowing (which is why toyota and others are required to put it on your window stickers now)

As for my gear.... Helmet is a HJC made in Korea, I tried on 10+ different brands, HJC was the ONLY one that came close to fitting my huge noggin. I'd rather have an korean helmet that fits than a american helmet that doesnt. If you can tell me of a american helmet that comes in XXXL and will fit my head, I'll order one today.

The rest of my gear is all Moose Racing stuff, about half made in the US, half made in various Asian countrys (china, tiwan etc) I wish they'd make it all here but at least they're employing SOME americans. Sorry, none of it was made by GM ?

...The rest of my gear is all Moose Racing stuff, about half made in the US, half made in various Asian countrys (china, tiwan etc) I wish they'd make it all here but at least they're employing SOME americans. Sorry, none of it was made by GM ?

Yeah, and Toyota employed thouands of Americans. I mean "tens of thousands"

As for the link, its a hosted site by a Chevrolet dealership. I was thining of a goverment data site for a little non partisan numbers. On another note. I'm picking up a 1981 Chevrolet 1 ton dually, 12 foot flatbed or looking at it and paying for it Monday, but will probably pick it up next weekend. Has a new 350 Targetmaster and an auto. It was an original 454 and granny, wish it still had the granny. Anyone know where I can get all the gear to put a granny back in it? I know buying used doesnt help US workers at all.

Yeah, and Toyota employed thouands of Americans. I mean "tens of thousands"

As for the link, its a hosted site by a Chevrolet dealership. I was thining of a goverment data site for a little non partisan numbers. On another note. I'm picking up a 1981 Chevrolet 1 ton dually, 12 foot flatbed or looking at it and paying for it Monday, but will probably pick it up next weekend. Has a new 350 Targetmaster and an auto. It was an original 454 and granny, wish it still had the granny. Anyone know where I can get all the gear to put a granny back in it? I know buying used doesnt help US workers at all.

yep, and GM employs about 5 times more americans... so they'll get my money. ?

Yeah I figured you'd ignore the data on the link simply because it was a chevy dealer... do you actually expect toyota to have such data on THIER website? ? The information there is accurate.

interesting, got a link?

http://www.toyota.com/about/operations/numbers/factsfigures04/toyota_na.html

Right from the Toyota website! ?

Heck, at http://www.toyota.com/about/operations/numbers/factsfigures04/direct_na_invest.html it shows they invested 16.8 billion dollars in the US, up from 12 billion last year. Dont suppose an investment that size may have created a few job? ? and it appears to be increasing by leaps and bounds every year. Might be where all those GM workers are headed?

http://www.toyota.com/about/operations/numbers/factsfigures04/toyota_na.html

Right from the Toyota website! ?

Heck, at http://www.toyota.com/about/operations/numbers/factsfigures04/direct_na_invest.html it shows they invested 16.8 billion dollars in the US, up from 12 billion last year. Dont suppose an investment that size may have created a few job? ? and it appears to be increasing by leaps and bounds every year. Might be where all those GM workers are headed?

Hmm, maybe I'm just missing it but I dont see any mention of the 41% domestic content there, care to point it out for me?

I know buying used doesnt help US workers at all.

See, there you go again. Think about what you are saying. While buying a 25 year old used vehicle may not help, the purchase of a late model used vehicle helps immensely. People consider resale value nearly as much as other factors when purchasing a vehicle. Thinking that purchasing a used foreign vehicle doesn't affect the US workforce is just plain wrong.

And tech, don't ever compare me to a Democrat again.... You and I have seen eye to eye on far more issues than this one that we disagree on. Your haste in pointing fingers and labeling are slightly surprising.

Hmm, maybe I'm just missing it but I dont see any mention of the 41% domestic content there, care to point it out for me?

I've pointed out exactly what the domestic content is on every model and those that are unique to Japan only, which, if you remembered, was only 5 of all the Toyota models that had 95-100% Japan content. A refresher would be Landcruiser, Prius, Highlander Rav4 and 4 Runner. I mentioned the Japanese produced Camry (which is only about 25% total, has 80% US parts, same as US made Camry, all the other models I mentioned that are produced in the US is between 60-80%, majority are overr 75%. Now when you look at your figures from youre GM site, keep in mind, North American also includes Canada. But in all fairness, Toyota also uses the "North American" quote. We can have this pissing match all day long, truth is Toyotas are made here, same as GM, Toyota is just forein owned and I'm not buying a used GM until qual8ity surpasses Toyota. Doesnt lok like it wil be anytime soon.

I've pointed out exactly what the domestic content is on every model and those that are unique to Japan only, which, if you remembered, was only 5 of all the Toyota models that had 95-100% Japan content. A refresher would be Landcruiser, Prius, Highlander Rav4 and 4 Runner. I mentioned the Japanese produced Camry (which is only about 25% total, has 80% US parts, same as US made Camry, all the other models I mentioned that are produced in the US is between 60-80%, majority are overr 75%. Now when you look at your figures from youre GM site, keep in mind, North American also includes Canada. But in all fairness, Toyota also uses the "North American" quote. We can have this pissing match all day long, truth is Toyotas are made here, same as GM, Toyota is just forein owned and I'm not buying a used GM until qual8ity surpasses Toyota. Doesnt lok like it wil be anytime soon.

Like I said, the % on individual models doesnt mean a hill a beans... the number that matters (to me, and the handful of americans who're still loyal to their country) is The whole company, 41%.... meaning 59% is japanese or chinese parts.

Like I said, the % on individual models doesnt mean a hill a beans... the number that matters (to me, and the handful of americans who're still loyal to their country) is The whole company, 41%.... meaning 59% is japanese or chinese parts.

According to a Chevrolet website. ? I don't buy it. Show me a government census/data site, it will be a little more believable, not much. And we can also talk about all those US parts, their employees, their distribution, sales, marketing, manufacturing. And to say I'm not loyal to my country, shows how ? one can be. I think you might be confusing brand loyalty with loyalty to your country. Chevrolet could sink lower than a Kia, but would be on top of the world in your opinion. I dont mind chevrolet, its just notmy first choice.

According to a Chevrolet website. ? I don't buy it. Show me a government census/data site, it will be a little more believable, not much.

a few hours ago you said toyota had the exact same data on thier website.... now you're back to calling me a liar ?

Surely a man that WORKS for toyota can pick up the phone and call someone who knows what toyotas domestic content is... you afraid to find out the truth?

a few hours ago you said toyota had the exact same data on thier website.... now you're back to calling me a liar ?

Surely a man that WORKS for toyota can pick up the phone and call someone who knows what toyotas domestic content is... you afraid to find out the truth?

Actually, I don't work for Toyota, but an independent franchised dealer. I see the exact North American content on each Toyota as it comes in. Its on the window. I did some math and came up with about 47.% North American content. Right now, Toyota has 14 models, but are adding 2 more in a month:

* denotes Japan made only, usually 95 or more foreign parts.

*4Runner

Avalon

Camry (US and Japanese Produce, both have 75% N/A content)

Solara

Corolla

*Highlander and Highlander Hybrid (HV)

*Landcruiser

Matrix

*Prius

*RAV4

Sequoia

Sienna

Tacoma

Tundra

There is several more coming within a month, the Yaris and the FJ Cruiser. Yaris is replacing the Echo which is already gone and it was 100% Japan made, I assume the Yaris will be also. Not sure on the FJ Cruiser, I suspect it will also be 100% Japan built. I see in the manual coverage a HiAce, but have never seen one here in the US, so never included it in my average and also counted the Highlander as one model, ie std and hybrid. I have not included Scion, or any Lexus models. I know all Scions are Japan produced, not sure of the N/A content. And not sure on Lexus models at all.

I did some math with the numbers I get from the window ID and all US made ones are 65 to 80% (most are 75-80%) N/A content and came up with 47.5% using the "average". Overall, it does appear to be less than half, but all the ones produced here in the states are about 70% N/A content. This would be all the models listed without the asterisk. I have in my stable a 2003 Highlander, a 98 Tacoma and a US made 90 Corolla wagon. As of tomorrow, I will add a 81 Chevrolet 1 ton dually flatbed! I will report with the ID tag to see where it was made. ?

I think most of the people who don't care where their money gets shipped are white collar folks who just don't give a shit what happens to blue collar america.

What they dont realize is white collar america cant survive without blue collar america, Once all of our industry has been packed up and shipped to china or japan, so will the office jobs.

Is that why I see wal-mart packed with white collar types, eating their caviar and sipping white wine?

For chevy, about half of the extended cab 1500 trucks, and pretty much all the Impala's and Monte Carlo's... thats about it. The rest of the trucks are made in the states.

My truck was built in Flint MI.

So its ok that 130000+ GM vehicles are built in Canada but its not ok if some toyotas are built in Japan. I dont get your logic, or do you just have an undying hatred for the Japanese ? and not matter how many "american" vehicles are built in Canada or Mexico that still ok. ?