Sign in to follow this  

PW 80 Info

Is there a rev limiter on the PW 80? If yes, How do I take it off.

Thank you.

uhhhh.... i dont think two strokes have limiters.. do they???... i think four strokes have them but i think two strokes go as high as the sky and then blow up..

Not this thing. I held it wide open for a "30 Count" It just maintained the same noise level. Think about it. Little Johnny/Suzy riding all day in first gear wide open. They would plow a lot of motors.

I can't remember what year they started using a rev limiter but the early models did not have one. To remove the limiter you would need the ignition set up from one of the early models.

Steve

Try ordering a leaner main jet from Yamaha. I say order only because our local dealer stocks nothing for the carb of this bike. Ours was very rich from the factory and would not rev worth anything.

Its not going to be a yz 85 killer no matter what you do, but the correct jetting helps.

Mine is a 1985..........

You don't have a rev limiter then. The switch was made a few years after that.

Steve

What the PW80 has is an exhaust restrictor , a washer type disc between the cyl - exhaust pipe, pull the pipe , and remove the disc , very easy job and this uncorks the little Yammie , I did this to my sons PW 7yrs ago. its like giving Jr a new bike.

Yes, it has the 'exhaust washer/restrictor' which will allow you to go faster if you take it out, however, there is/will then be another problem; it will cut out at wide open like there is a rev limiter on it.

I changed the air and idle screws AND then put in a jet one size larger and while better, it still has this annoying cut out at wide open. It actually used to slow down at wide open, but with a wider jet it doesn't. There are other 2's around and they don't sound 'restricted' like this and I asked a mechanic and he just said to do what I already did with the carb. I even then removed the spark arrestor AFTER I had put in the larger jet to see if it would make the problem WORSE due to more air and leaner, but it didn't make it better or worse.

therefore, I'm stumped as to what the problem with this is and I'm not really convinced that going up to a 132.5 jet from a 130 (original 127.5) would solve the problem, either.

Any ideas?

Yeah, get the kid a 65. These PW's aren't going to scream like the water cooled mx bikes, they're pretty mild mannered (which makes them so great for beginners). If the kid is over riding the motor, he'll appreciate the 65 (or possibly an 85) for the power and DEFINITELY for the suspension....

Just a thought. I wouldn't drop a lot of dough on improving the motor too much on the PW.

remove the restrictor and change the jetting yes.  Also bypass the injector oil pump and lean out the mixture to about 30:1 rather than the 20:1 the injection system delivers. you might have to play with jetting a little but this will make it as snappy as it's ever going to be. When the sun goes down, it's still a pw..... if you want more you'll have have to unscrew the gas cap and roll something else under it.