Pismo/ Oceano Crowds

Bellisimo:

The crowds in April at Pismo shouldn't be that bad. The wind on the other hand is another story. I've only been in May - June but, you never know on the coast. I grew up on the beach in So-Cal and the one thing you can never predict is the wind.

Depending on what type of rig you are bringing / camping in, you'll want to prepare accordingly. E>G> You'll want some 'sand stakes' for your tent. Anything that you can fill w/ sand, bury and then tie your tent to will suffice. *Army surplus store*

If you're brining a toyhauler, motorhome etc... or even for underneath your truck/trailer, bring some 1/2 sheets of plywood to put between the sand and the bottom of your rig. If you have 'circle the wagons' with that setup it makes for a great wind block.

Ohh.. and bring an x-tra can of WD-40 and spray it on your bikes/quads every night. RUST happens fast out there.

Have fun.

I am planning a trip to Pismo for the weekend of April 14th. I've heard the crowds can be bad. How are the crowds at that time of year? How's the wind factor? Never been, getting excited.

Probably the best time of year to go! The wind is a hit and miss deal, Could go either way.

Why would anyone want to ride Pismo with so many other locations to choose from?

1. It's crowded beyond being safe. You have renters, who don't have a clue.

The 10 year olds who never turn their heads to look at traffic. 4x4 vehicles, rails, buggies all running around the 'postage stamp' size OHV area.

2. Hard on the machines, whether you use a paddle or knobby tire.

With the knobby you use sustained high rpm to keep on top.

With the paddle tire you subject the engine and drive trail to a constant changing of load.

Example -When the paddles are not engaging the sand, the tire slips (light load) until the next paddle bites (heavy load) into the sand. Then the process repeats itself during the whole ride. You may not feel the impact but your equipment does. The chain strecthes and sprokets wear.

All these same forces are applied no matter what type of terrian your riding, but the paddle tire really enhances the wear process with contant load changes.

3. The moist salt air will get into everything, and you will see rust on all exposed metal within hours.

4. The time of year you are planning the trip is during 'Spring Break'. It will be crowded beyond being safe.

What a hole... we should sacrifice it up to the 'greenies' just to get them to leave the better riding areas alone for a while. ?

So N6VMO, Im not 100% clear, you do like Pismo or not?

I cannot think of any other place in Ca where I can ride on the beach, so I like it. (On a weekday in August....)

Well, as you can read, I am 'on the fence'... ?

...not! ?

Why would anyone want to ride Pismo with so many other locations to choose from?

1. It's crowded beyond being safe. You have renters, who don't have a clue.

The 10 year olds who never turn their heads to look at traffic. 4x4 vehicles, rails, buggies all running around the 'postage stamp' size OHV area.

2. Hard on the machines, whether you use a paddle or knobby tire.

With the knobby you use sustained high rpm to keep on top.

With the paddle tire you subject the engine and drive trail to a constant changing of load.

Example -When the paddles are not engaging the sand, the tire slips (light load) until the next paddle bites (heavy load) into the sand. Then the process repeats itself during the whole ride. You may not feel the impact but your equipment does. The chain strecthes and sprokets wear.

All these same forces are applied no matter what type of terrian your riding, but the paddle tire really enhances the wear process with contant load changes.

3. The moist salt air will get into everything, and you will see rust on all exposed metal within hours.

4. The time of year you are planning the trip is during 'Spring Break'. It will be crowded beyond being safe.

What a hole... we should sacrifice it up to the 'greenies' just to get them to leave the better riding areas alone for a while. ?

I think you missing the point IMHO... dont get me wrong everything you said was true (except for the last part about giving it up and they will stop, that was probably a joke though.

I dont know maybe I'm mental but I love it. ?

THe crowds will be fine, but take that guys advise and bring the plywood. Helps alot

Why would anyone want to ride Pismo with so many other locations to choose from?...

?

hey dude, don't scare these guys away from our money making tourist trap :bonk: We need their out of town dollars! :confused:

Pismo is great if that's what you are into. Easter weekend is better in the desert, you get great weather before it gets too hot to ride there. Pismo is the spot where you excape from those July 110* Bakerfield days ?

hey dude, don't scare these guys away from our money making tourist trap ? We need their out of town dollars! :bonk:

Pismo is great if that's what you are into. Easter weekend is better in the desert, you get great weather before it gets too hot to ride there. Pismo is the spot where you excape from those July 110* Bakerfield days ?

Yeah those 110* days suck for riding. But i for one will never return there. Its was cool in HS but i would never bring my family there. And as for it being Easter Weekend/Spring Break that place is going to be nuts Even during the week.If it is just you and some friends then go. It will be a party, lots of drunks on bikes and quads all day and night.Dont forget to bring your Mag Light to Duct Tape to your front fender. Good luck and be safe

I am planning a trip to Pismo for the weekend of April 14th. I've heard the crowds can be bad. How are the crowds at that time of year? How's the wind factor? Never been, getting excited.

Here's an old thread with lots of info about Pismo. Be sure to air down your tires before you hit the sand, even if the entry from the ranger shack looks well-groomed. The stream crossing as you drive in will probably be challenging this time of year with all the rain runoff, but just watch where others are crossing, and gas it good to get across.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90742

Take it easy riding down in the flat areas within about 200 yards of the water, since that's where most of the crazys and newbies ride. Once you get into the back part, especially the bigger dunes, it's a bit less crowded and more fun. If you are going to spend time play jumping some dunes, it's a good idea to work with one guy as a spotter that you rotate out every few jumps. Even with the flags, it's a good idea to use a spotter whenever you spend time jumping stuff. And be sure to be careful when riding eastbound over the dunes -- that's the direction the slipfaces fall off. You definitely don't want to miss seeing a slipface and fly off into space. You can ride down the very steep slipfaces no problem, as long as you roll the top in 2nd gear or so and just coast down. The sand gives enough back-resistance so that you don't build up much speed. Be sure to gas it at the bottom to lighten the front end so you don't bury the front tire as you g-out off the slipface.

Have fun! PM me if you want any more info. -Mike-

yeah, i read that thread- lots of good info. thanks. everyone is making this place sound like a death trap. hopefully we can find a little ground to ourselves and not have to deal with others. how do you guys think a RM125 will do in the sand? it will have a paddle, i think.

yeah, i read that thread- lots of good info. thanks. everyone is making this place sound like a death trap. hopefully we can find a little ground to ourselves and not have to deal with others. how do you guys think a RM125 will do in the sand? it will have a paddle, i think.

I haven't ridden a 125 in a while, but I used to have a YZ 125, and I took it to Glamis...ONCE. I'm very surprised it didn't blow up. I had to keep that thing wound like a son of a bitch to get over the dunes. If you are gonna do it though, go with a tire with less paddles. That little 125 won't pull a 10 paddle too great. I think they make a 6, and that's what I used.