first oil change/ filter ?

bought my 450 3 weeks ago and love it. I'm going to change the oil for the first time and i was wondering what type of oil everyone uses? Do you guys check the frame oil filter I heard its a pain in the butt? Does anyone know about those oil filters that can clean and be reused? or is a new stock filter to way to go? If stock is the answer how often do you change them? thanks

I would say stick with a K&N oil filter and replace it everyother change but clean it even though you may not be replaceing it!!! Also i would recomend Maxuma Racing oils....they seem to have the best products and best proformance specs and i change my oil about every 15 hours

I change my oil every 2-3 rides. Usually about every 6 hours or so, and put in a K&N filter and Motul Oil. You don't need to use expensive motorcycle oil but if your not going to change it that often it is a good investment. I use a 10w-40 because its quite warm here in Cali, but if its colder where you live you might want to use a 20w-50. You wanna change your oil every 2 rides though, just a good rule of thumb.(Search the forums on the top right, this has been covered, and the yz426-450 will be nearly the same procedures for service specs and service time)

hmmm....I change mine about every 4 hrs give or take....15 hours is a lot of time on the oil

WOW yeah 15hrs is a lot ?

My 06 has 28.6 hrs and has had 7 oil changes already and is gonna get #8 today if i get off work at a reasonable hour.

I use a 10w-40 because its quite warm here in Cali, but if its colder where you live you might want to use a 20w-50. You wanna change your oil every 2 rides though, just a good rule of thumb

If it's colder where you live you would want to use a broader range of viscocity like a 5-10w-40/50. The lower number is the viscocity of the oil 0 degrees F', and the second number is the weight of the oil at operating temp (212 deg. F'! If he used a 20w-50 in cold temp, the oil may not circulate as well at the colder temp! Being in Cali, you could get away with a 20w-50.

To get back to the orig question though, you can use whatever oil you prefer. As long as it has an S rating (S for Gasoline engines) and does not contain friction inhibitors, such as Yamalube which is has an SJ rating and no friction inhibitors. Vavoline performance oils have an SG and mobil 1 synthetic is an SH. The ones that have the "Energy Conserving" I or II stamp have friction modifiers. You can tell by looking at the back of the bottle, what type of rating it has. Why pay outrageous prices for these so called "special oils" when the same stuff is sold at auto zone for $1.99 a qt?