1st pull over DRZ400S = $280 Fine

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the looks of all the toys you've got listed there you should have no problems with the $280, Consider it lesson learned. By the way give me a few months and I'm sure I'll be able to tell you what the fine in Ontario is worth....

There is a time and a place for everything...pick the wrong time, pay the fine. Look at it this way, some old lady could have pulled out in front of you and ran your a$$ over, only you were riding a wheelie and the superior braking performance of the front brake was muted as it being 3ft off the tarmac....wheelie away...just don't complain when you get caught!

Wheelies that endangers others equals reckless driving in California. Misdemeanor citation, booking in county jail, towing of vehicle, 2 points on license for starters. Add on insurance going up, time off work for court, towing/storing fees, AND having to pay the fine, (yes, you go to jail AND get a fine) and your well into the $1000 range. I've successfully prosecuted it several times before. Judges hate wheelies on the street, as should the public. I have first hand knowledge of a sport bike knucklehead who pulled a wheelie and put his front tire right through the drivers side window of a lady pulling out of her driveway. Broke her neck and killed her instantly in front of her own house. Do the wheelies off road, and if you're a quad do them in the parking lot where everybody else loads/unloads their dirt bikes. (We know you will anyways.) Just don't do them on the street.

Sorry for the rant. I feel better now.

I'm wondering how something can be "reckless driving" if it's not endangering others. Unless the legal argument is that it is a danger to the rider himself to pull wheelies.

Wheelie = Not in control = Endangering others.

They obviously didn't see the cop or wouldn't have done it correct?

That car could have been anyone, and what happens when said rider loops it and sends 270 lbs of motorcycle riderless through the windshield of the oncoming car.

If I hear one more jackass make a comment about how much they are in control when doing a wheelie I'm going to completely :confused::bonk:??

Wheelie = Not in control = Endangering others.

They obviously didn't see the cop or wouldn't have done it correct?

That car could have been anyone, and what happens when said rider loops it and sends 270 lbs of motorcycle riderless through the windshield of the oncoming car.

If I hear one more jackass make a comment about how much they are in control when doing a wheelie I'm going to completely :confused::bonk:??

isn't there a thread on here about a drz400 vs.a mustang or something.

i didn't hear anyone carrying on about how that was unsafe.

to me racing is potentially more risky to others than a wheelie.

as far as control of my wheelies, anything can happen, but i do them where i'm certain i cannot endanger anyone but myself. where i can see there is NOONE around. as said before, if i get caught, i have to pay the price.

there's all kinds of things going on in this world that are illegal or wrong. see them every day. the way people drive cages around here is unreal. the amount of litter on the road is disgusting. not too much i can do about either of them.

i agree we should all be safe & try to improve our image. but do not understand why so many get mad when they hear about a wheelie.

Not a bad outcome really. The main thing is the points. You don't want to get hammered on your insurance premiums on your car.

For all those do gooders saying "follow the rules", get over your sanctimonius selves. Bikes are vibrant sporting and fun machines. They encourage bad behavior from time to time. If a rider wants to go fast or do the occasional wheelie in the right time and place where he is well within his personal limits and not endangering himself and others, well, that is part of enjoying your motorcycle. If you can't relate to that, I suggest selling the bike and riding something more your speed. Garden tractors come to mind.

I save all my vehicular civil disobedience for my daily commute into downtown Washington DC.

Between the buses, jaywalking pedestrians, psycho bicycle and scooter messengers, sleeping cellphone using SUV users, flagrant traffic law violators, VIP motorcades, shambling shopping cart-pushing homeless people, Angry type-A attorneys, and general chaos, the cops just don't have time to pay attention to me hoiking a wheelie-to-lanesplit on K st.

I'd say I see the rank-and-file traffic commit about a hundred infractions on my way to work every day. Personally, I can say with confidence that my ride is one continuous violation. I absolutely do not run red lights, and I always signal if there's ANYONE who might care which way I'm going, but otherwise, the issues of velocity, proximity to other vehicles or lane delineators (or sidewalks for brief periods), which wheel or wheels I happen to choose to use, and taking advantage of say, turning from the right side of K st across the crosswalk of 21st St. and then pointing it up town to avoid a 4 block loop to acomplish the same thing...

Is all fair game. It's a totally victimless crime.

The drivers in this town exhibit an amazing level of agressiveness combined with a total lack of deliberateness and attention; a lack of urgency and an abundance of indecision that is pervasive.

And it's these b*stards who INSIST on moving their precious selves...ALONE...in 20 foot long 4500# vehicles while they yammer on their cell phones and block traffic and grind the grid into a motionless smoking logjam.

Meanwhile, I just slice and dice through the whole mess like a plasma cutter through a hot beer can. I celebrate my utter freedom from the tyranny of gridlock with a little exhuberant one wheel action now and then. I'm sure that there have been law enforcement oficers who have been left grinding their teeth in frustration as the lusty tone of an Akrapovic exhaust fades in the Dupont tunnel, but ultimetely, a motard in the city is the perfect place and really, other than a race track or offroad, the only safe place from a persecution standpoint for this kind of shenanigans....

Do it where they either can't see you, can't catch you, or don't care.

Just want to say , Not whining about the ticket , seemed too high for the crime. Both had clear records, back road , stop sign take off not a red light, absolutely not endangering anyone but ourselves ! This wasn't some 60 mph wheelie going up the major hwy. They were pretty sad actually. I haven't had a ticket in a long time and was surprised at how much they have went up. I posted this not for bragging purposes, but to let people know how much the fines have increased. By the way , The other day we went riding and the wheelies have decreased by at least 75 %. ? For the do gooders , Check out this video Where were the cops ?

Warning : Bad language

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/carthieframpage.html

I save all my vehicular civil disobedience for my daily commute into downtown Washington DC.

Between the buses, jaywalking pedestrians, psycho bicycle and scooter messengers, sleeping cellphone using SUV users, flagrant traffic law violators, VIP motorcades, shambling shopping cart-pushing homeless people, Angry type-A attorneys, and general chaos, the cops just don't have time to pay attention to me hoiking a wheelie-to-lanesplit on K st.

I'd say I see the rank-and-file traffic commit about a hundred infractions on my way to work every day. Personally, I can say with confidence that my ride is one continuous violation. I absolutely do not run red lights, and I always signal if there's ANYONE who might care which way I'm going, but otherwise, the issues of velocity, proximity to other vehicles or lane delineators (or sidewalks for brief periods), which wheel or wheels I happen to choose to use, and taking advantage of say, turning from the right side of K st across the crosswalk of 21st St. and then pointing it up town to avoid a 4 block loop to acomplish the same thing...

Is all fair game. It's a totally victimless crime.

The drivers in this town exhibit an amazing level of agressiveness combined with a total lack of deliberateness and attention; a lack of urgency and an abundance of indecision that is pervasive.

And it's these b*stards who INSIST on moving their precious selves...ALONE...in 20 foot long 4500# vehicles while they yammer on their cell phones and block traffic and grind the grid into a motionless smoking logjam.

Meanwhile, I just slice and dice through the whole mess like a plasma cutter through a hot beer can. I celebrate my utter freedom from the tyranny of gridlock with a little exhuberant one wheel action now and then. I'm sure that there have been law enforcement oficers who have been left grinding their teeth in frustration as the lusty tone of an Akrapovic exhaust fades in the Dupont tunnel, but ultimetely, a motard in the city is the perfect place and really, other than a race track or offroad, the only safe place from a persecution standpoint for this kind of shenanigans....

Do it where they either can't see you, can't catch you, or don't care.

Man, that was whole lot of 5 dollar words to describe your Hooliganism! ??

For $280 you can hire an atorney and likely beat the ticket, which will work out to a net savings because you won't take the hit on your insurance.

I hired an atorney for a $500 neg III I didn't feel I deserved. Turned out that Jonny Law even after 22 years on the force still didn't know how to write a citation report properly, so it was thrown out.

At least the atorney worked for his $270 fee, needless to say it was well worth the cost. ?

Wow, listening to some of these posts rip on scag52 for his disregard to public safety has me thinking that there must be a whole lot of perfect drivers on this board that have never ever gotten a ticket in all their years of driving.............

I thought it was kind of funny looking back on it now. Some of these people were lightin me up though.

I feel for you SCAG52. I should have never said Elkton Police were a PITA. I was just being sarcastic. Four of my ridding buddies are New Castle County Cops and they wheelie on a more regular basis then I do when we are out. In fact one of them usually rides with his badge in his tank bra just so he can flip it over his shoulder if we get pulled over from behind by Police.

Its funny, we all have an exceptable level of risk to fun I suppose? Here in Modesto CA. a guy doing a wheeile at 100mph, on a back road, lost control when the front wheel came down. He cut a power poll in half, then what was left got shreaded by the limbs of trees in an orchard he flew into. I think his wife and two kids he left behind would have rather just paid a ticket instead. The funny thing is, all his friends talk about is how good a rider he WAS.