YZ Pipe

Got my YZ pipe installed today, I bought it from a guy here on TT, and I have to say that there are several improvements worth noting. The YZ pipe is about 4 lbs lighter than the stock WR pipe, the bike is not that much quieter than the stock WR pipe uncorked, however at low throttle it is much quieter, its just when you open it up a bit the thing starts to bark pretty good! As far as power is concerned I noticed a great deal of low end improvement and throttle response but the top end suffers a little now it seems? Could this be due to a little more restriction from the YZ pipe compared to the uncorked WR pipe?, I like this thing alot and for $100.00 it was tought to pass it up, not to mention that it was in MINT consition when I got it! WooHoo!

Let me know what you think about the top end power issue/.....Thanks!

Dauv

------------------

01' WR426,YZ timing,EMP #2,#48Pilot,#100PAJ,#172 Main,BK mod,stock pipe-no baffle, open airbox,Gray-Wire Pulled,K&N Filter, throttle stop mod,CA Street Legal,Pure SuperMotard 17 in. wheels, 15/46 gears,ProTaper bars,

I told you Nick would come through for ya! Nick rides very conservative and that pipe hasn't seen the ground AT ALL (he only has around 4 months on that pipe and he rides every other weekend)!!! Is your cam timing set at YZ position or at stock WR? This could be the reason your bike has less top end...now that the muffler is not "plugged up", and your bike is free to rev. Later,

Garrett

------------------

I get my kicks on a 426!

Motoman393's MX Site

the reason you have better low end is because your bike was set very rich and now with the open pipe you've probably now got the correct jetting.

an open pipe is worth about 12 on the MJ but at 172 already i would say that it's rich enough. you're pulling very tall gearing so don't expect too much.

if you feel that you've lost power at the top there are two things you can try

one, try a 178MJ

two, pull the MAJ out and leave it on the sideboard! do it with the 178MJ in and see.

another thing is that all that superdupa midrange may give you a different feel higher up.

Taffy

TeamScream, Taffy's right as usual....try the 178 as he suggested. normally, most guys wouldn't think about going that rich. but, i converted to a 2000 YZ426 pipe on my 2000 WR & have written a number of times here @ the forum that this is the best kept secret, and LEAST EXPENSIVE way to get great power. i went from stock jetting to the 178 main, went 1 clip position richer & 1/4-1/2 turn richer on the fuel screw. i swear, i haven't touched my jetting since then & my bike rips. guys @ the forum spend $300-$500 on after-market pipes when a great solution is right in front of our eyes! i also paid $100 for my brand new 426 pipe from a moto-x racer friend who went aftermarket. there's plenty of 426 pilots upgrading so availability is no problem. the cool thing is that i've got bottom end, good mid & i turn the top-end off before it scares me.... ride safely, bobwombat

Man I am I stoked! My YZ pipe is on the way too!! Man, this bike is fun to ride. I rode some buddy's YZ's and I know what's in store...just fun to hear about it from other WR owners. But, we have THE TRANNY!! Also dropping to a 13t countershaft to get 2nd & 3rd a little more in the "range" for our trails.

Thanks alot for the replies you guys! and Yes Motoman Nick did come through with it!...I will definately try the 178 Main, but what is the "sideboard' Taffy refers to? does my WR have one of these???? Let me know........sideboard huh? hmmm....

------------------

01' WR426,YZ timing,EMP #2,#48Pilot,#100PAJ,#172 Main,BK mod,stock pipe-no baffle, open airbox,Gray-Wire Pulled,K&N Filter, throttle stop mod,CA Street Legal,Pure SuperMotard 17 in. wheels, 15/46 gears,ProTaper bars,

I know I was just kidding ...poking a little fun at Taffy ...heheheh.....Anyway I put a 175 Main in this weekend (all I had in stock) and it felt alot better up top, I will try the other suggestions and I have ordered a 178 to see if it gets better...although I do see black around the exhaust pipe exit now where before I did not...a sure sign of a rich condition in my limited opinion? what do you guys think?

------------------

01' WR426,YZ timing,EMP #2,#48Pilot,#100PAJ,#175 Main,BK mod,Kouba T-Handle,YZ pipe-no baffle, open airbox,Gray-Wire Pulled,K&N Filter, throttle stop mod,CA Street Legal,Pure SuperMotard 17 in. wheels, 15/46 gears,ProTaper bars,