Sign in to follow this  

Fuel Screw - Zip Ty Vs. Stock Vs. XR's only

I am really curious to see if anyone else has seen the same issue that I have. I bought both the Zip Ty FMS01 and the FMS02. I then bought the XR's Only screw. I also have the stock screw of course. The stock screw will shut the bike down at idle if I tighten it until it stops (not super tight, just firm). The XR's only screw will shut the bike down at idle if I tighten it until it stops (not super tight, just firm). On the Zip Ty screws, I could not shut the bike down with these screws at idle. I removed and reinstalled. Same results. I then checked the distance between the top of the threads and the first shoulder on all the screws. The Zipty's are between 1mm & 2mm shorter than the stock screw and the XR's Only screw (cannot get more precise than 1mm). Seems to me that the shorter screw is never coming into a completely seated position. Since I have installed the XR's Only screw (horribly expensive when you include shipping), I have all the adjustability that I want with easy access. I have found that the ability to really dial in the fuel screw is very important to this engine/carburetor combination. I have owned 1 other race bike and several dual purpose rides (probably about 7 bikes total in my lifetime). I have not seen this sensitivity in the other bikes. What have ya'll experienced with the Zip Ty screws? Sorry if I am rehashing something here.

I had heard that the XR'S fuel screw actually made some bikes run better, than the other screws. That is why I choose it the first time. Like you said, very easy to adjust, a high qauilty product, but yes, somewhat expensive.

I have the zip ty and it seems to keep backing out on me. I am fine with the adjustments on it because I only go from 2 tuns out to 2.5 turns.

Anyone else have this issue backing out issue??

The Zip Ty screw is a P.O.S. I bought it first unfortunately. You need needle nose pliers to adjust it. Then I bought the XR screw and the bike ran better and the adjustment is a piece of cake. Anyone in the market do not waste your time with the zip ty you are better off leaving it stock then buying the zip ty. The XR F/S I would highly recommend.

i concur completely with NCC and RottenRob.

i found the MSR Fuel Screw {same as Zippity pos} would not shut my bike down, and could not quell the deccel pop. XR's Only Fuel Screw would shut her down, and did quell the deccel pop @ 2.0 turns out, using the NCYS needle & 42 pilot & 170 main.

XR's F.S. is the class leader, whoooppeee.

paul

I concur. The zip-ty screw is a POS. You need a pair of pliers to adjust it and it keeps backing out even after I stretched the spring to put a bit more tension on it. I am going to order the XR's only I think.

I just went to order the xrs only fuel screw and they want $13 to ship it regular ground to KY...holy crap! Anybody else have a source for these??

I bought the CRF's only screw, it works as advertised, has a T handle, easy to adjust.

I bought the CRF's only screw, it works as advertised, has a T handle, easy to adjust.

Ditto

Evening gang, just dropped in,

Looks like the Xr's only is a winner I don't know , but if you ADD additional o-rings and make sure you have the washer with spring . It is a good chance you will not lose the settings or have a lost fuel/mixture screw gone from your bike while on that wonderful soils we tread on!

SAVE the old one, GET new orings when you install a retro fit .

I heard many different aftermarket screws are to be accessible to us with a offset tool,. Some are OK for the CRF 450R as they lack a starter Duh, so some forget that. Our CRF 450X has clearance issues some aftermarket units are to long from what I have read.

from the saddle

Bill

also remember the needle on a Calif bike is different than others thats the 49 states and the CS states,. JD has the Hot temp and cold temp applications Start your mixture screw with baseline of 1000 rpms, and 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 from closed adjust accordingly

Keep your oils change to save deferred maintenance issues later Oil is cheap.

I just ordered the XR's screw last night, right at 30 dollars shipped to Long Beach, CA w/ ups ground. The zipty screw was 28 dollars shipped from crfs only...I made the right choice... :crazy:

What is wrong with using the stock fuel screw that comes with the bike?

Silly rabbit, You cant get a screw driver on it with clearance,so teh aftermarket ones allow you to fine tune while not getting cramps they are longer adn extend past the bowl , JUST for easy access and Bling?

Hey gang go to rockymountainmc.com adn check TUSK screw for 9.99, and if you spend more , get free shipping, you always need oils, filter spare, bolt kit, new jersey, beer opps not in catologe

/s/ BIll

But you still have to unclip the breather tube to access the screw. This is what annoys me sometimes.

Does the XR's only screw allow you to position the knob for adjustments with the breather tube in place?

Yes, in fact I have the XR screws knob resting on the breather tube.

I bought a t-Handle fuel mixture screw from ebay seller Hotrodzz. The screw is from Bonz Performance Products. It was actually being auctioned on Ebay. I payed $17.99 for the fuel screw and flat rate shipping was only $4.00. XRs only and CRFsonly charge way to much to ship a screw!!

I can't say how well it works, cause my stock fuel screw is working fine right now but it does appear to be identical to the CRFsOnly t-handle screw.

Here is another one for auction on Ebay...Buy it Now!

Easy adjust T handle fuel mixture screw,KTM,CRF,YZF,YFZ

Item number: 4636383121

I can adjust my XR's ONLY screw while sitting on the seat with all my gear on including helmet goggles and gloves and see the numbers printed on it. Can't do that with any of the other screws. Piss on a few bucks for shipping. That should end this topic.