What did you pay for your 525EXC--poll

I just picked up my '06 525EXC. I'm going to retire the '01 650r. I figured I'm working too hard. The 525 is truly a work of art--very high quality workmanship and components. Wonderful to ride.

Anyway: I paid $7800 out the door with aluminum skidplate, KTM plastic hand guards, and enough filters and oil for 2 oil changes. I worked two dealers hard for 2 weeks and my brother bought one at the same time for same deal. This is a dealer in San Diego County.

Is this a typical deal? What did you pay??????

$6500 or $6600, can't remember exactly for an 05 525EXC out the door, no tax and $250 to deliver via Fed Ex. Better than the $8000 the nearest dealer wanted...and besides, he didn't even have and said he couldn't even get a 525.

7500 otd. Just walk in, make them a resonable offer with cash (checks, credit cards, debit cards and cashiers checks are not cash) and be willing to walk away.

You mean you had $7500 in green stuff? Cool. But why is that better than a check in the eyes of a dealer? Maybe just because you made the extra effort to pull out that much cash and that implies that you're really serious?

Re: Cash

I once drove an hour to buy/look at a used bike. Decided to buy it, had the cash (even asked in advance if cash would be fine), at the last minute the kids mother got cold feet and said "no deal." She was afraid the cash was no good! I offered her to copy my ID, truck registraqtion etc... still she said come back the next day with a registered check... I wasn't too happy, she lost the sale ?

Anyway, this is a good thread. I was looking at a 250 sxf the other day, just browsing. Dealer seemed firm on list price plus all the taxes and fees on top. That is one thing that sucks about shopping for bikes, seems you have to be totaly serious before dealers will start to deal - makes the process take so long in the end. Just tell me what you will take already ?

Yes,

Information is king when buying anything. Your are right that many dealers wont quote prices unless you are ready to sit down and buy. They know that you are going to take their price to another dealer and lose by $50. You have to be persistant. My brother called every dealer from Los Angeles to Chula Vista. He got several quotes over the phone and several refusals too. The quotes all settled in to $7700 to $8000 with a few extras thrown in.

We could have gotten $7700 from North County Yamaha in San Marcos, but the guy wouldn't let up telling us that he was losing his shirt on the deal. We knew it was total BS because some out of state dealers are selling the bike for $1200 less shipped! He even bragged that he got $9100 from some guy the day before. We decided to pay $100 more and go with All American in Ramona. The guy was loads more sincere and knowledgeable.

I am the brother of the same mother who started this thread, and I have to say just be patient when dealing with sales people. I think my brother and I could saved a couple of pounds, but our father paid the same with no extras for an '05!! Gotcha Dad!!!!! GOD I LOVE THIS SPORT!!!!!!!

Is MSRP out the door a good price in CA?

Thats about right. It also depends when you buy here in cali.

I bought my bike in March of 05. It was the last 525EXC he had and was going to get and to my knowledge he didnt get any more in 05. I bought two bikes from him before and 8000otd was as low as he would go. He did throw in cycra pro bend handgaurds and a carbon skid plate and some oil. I know I could have done better but wasnt willing to drive around looking.

We pay more here in cali for smog equip and overly lean bikes that we correct immediately anyway, go figure.

A guy I work with just picked up a 2006 525EXC last saturday at "3 Bros" in Murrieta for $7500 OTD.

I'm sure it helped that it was the end of the season. I paid $7800 OTD for my 400EXC in August. He also gave me $200 store credit, 15% off on parts & re-jetted the bike. They installed a Scott's stabilizer I bought and all the other stuff for free as well.

• 2 weeks later...