Sign in to follow this  

Insure a dirt bike?

Does anyone know if there is theft/liability insurance available for atv's in Canada?

There should be as dirtbikes do. I just got a 06 WR450 and they want $400 for comprehensive and $1m liability!!! I think I'll just stick to liability. Here is a related question, do most of you register and insure your dirtbikes?

cheers,

Mark in Calgary

00Blue800FI

06BlueWR450F

It would get insured as an "offroad Vehical" I would imagine. Like a tractor or anything else. Or they will same designation as a snowmobile. In that case get out your wallet. You can insure anything if you have the money. My dirtbike gets insured as a motorcycle, much cheaper though. $250 a year.

I would be happy to insure it for $250 a year for theft, any insurance company recomendations?

With mine, i just put storage insurance on it. i think it was $340 or something for the year......i cant get out as much as i want to, so thats cheaper than off-road insurance, and i live in a apt with it locked out back, so I'm covered for theft/fire/Vandal/liability.

There should be as dirtbikes do. I just got a 06 WR450 and they want $400 for comprehensive and $1m liability!!! I think I'll just stick to liability. Here is a related question, do most of you register and insure your dirtbikes?

cheers,

Mark in Calgary

00Blue800FI

06BlueWR450F

If you are going to ride in Alberta you need registration and insurance for off road

Yup where the heck are you riding that you don't need insurance ?? In alberta all my toys are insured even my boys Polaris 90 quad which he legally isn't allowed to ride (he's 10 your supposed to be 14) is insured and registered.

I insured both my bikes through Primmum Ins. out of Calgary. Both bikes cost $359 for a year. Their price was by far the best I found.

:thumbsup: Yah you gotta insure/register your bikes to ride Waiprous or McClean areas or anywhere else other than private land here in Alberta. Some of my buddies don't have insurance but get sent home once in awhile when the fish cops catch them which is lucky really because no insurance is a $3000 ticket in Alberta for automobiles and I hear dirt bikes are the same. Also no headlight/tailight gets you sent home too.

I ride the CMRC harescrambles which don't require insurance/registration because they are organized events but if you want to even practise the day before on the same loops you gotta have insurance and a plate.

I pay almost $350/yr for liability insurance my WR450 and CRF50 (yah the pitbike has to be legalized too for camping areas) but a friend said he gets it much cheaper through AMA (no guarantees-he's always telling bullshit stories).

cheers,

Mark in Calgary

00Blue800FI

06BlueWR450F

What do you mean by comprehensive? If this includes theft it sounds about right-that's what it costs. I paid for theft coverage once and during that year I realized it wasn't worth it because I watch over my baby so closely-I dare anyone to try and steal it!

On a related topic, I'd really like to make my WR street legal and wonder what kind of insurance I'd need and at what cost. :thumbsup:

If you are going to ride in Alberta you need registration and insurance for off road

True if you live in Alberta.

If you are visiting Alberta to ride however, you don't require a permit or insurance. Just thought I would mention it because we spent 2 hours on the phone to find this out....

flash 319, were did you find insurance in ontario for $250. The lowest I have found was $600. Did you do as so many recomend and switch everything you own over to State Farm or do you have a secret company and if so can you please share.

Rich

03 crf 450

True if you live in Alberta.

If you are visiting Alberta to ride however, you don't require a permit or insurance. Just thought I would mention it because we spent 2 hours on the phone to find this out....

That may be true. But I bet our "fish cops" in the field don' know that. It will be a pain in the *ss when they stop you. Better at least carry your BC drivers license

Comprehensive means Fire, theft, act of god, vandalism... I was just a little surprised at $400 since my VFR is ~$500 for all that. After all, it is a dirtbike. I'll probably just go with liability like I said before or might include limited perils ie fire, theft as it drops to ~$300/yr. I know, the registration is mandatory and you can't get the registration without insurance.

Cheers,

Well I have made my TTR250 dual sport and it costs 522$/yr to insure for road use, I don't think I have comprehensive though.

That may be true. But I bet our "fish cops" in the field don' know that. It will be a pain in the *ss when they stop you. Better at least carry your BC drivers license

Actually got pulled over at Brule dunes, Hinton Alberta, for no plates (and jumping a blind dune, ooops!). Man, I almost landed on one of their quads!! :thumbsup:

The cops where completely confused that we didn't have any registration or insurance requirements in B.C. (they didn't believe me at first). At the time I happened to have ICBC comprehensive on my bike for theft and I offered to ride to the truck and get it, but they said it was no problem.

They were pretty cool and we chatted about the area for over 15 minutes. Told us a lot of good places to ride too!

I have looked everywhere...only to find State Farm reasonable but they want you to insure everything you own with them....they want $240 a year(and do not require a bike licence)

I tried to insure my off road bike and thought I had it figured out. A local agent set it up through our governement insurance company monopoly (ICBC). 1m liability and comprehensive ($5000 value). I paid $350 approx.

About 2 months later I received a bill for the balance advising the the agent had made a mistake and the annual coverage was $850-$950. They don't want to cover these bikes, so make the rates prohibative.

I cancelled the whole works. My riding friend have had the same experience.

Storage insurance is something to be warry of if you take the bike out to ride. If anything happens while it is out, you are not covered, and "if" they can prove the bike is being removed from storage to be ridden, they can void the policy if a loss has happened. (ICBC insurance anyway)

If anyone has been able to insure for a reasonable price in BC through private or other means, please let us all know who and how.

I have seen private ATV insurance brochures at the local Yami shop. They don't cover the bikes though.

D

Yes ATV's in alberta are insured the same as a car / truck so any coverage you can get on them you can get on your ATV. I have pl/pd on mine no theft or collision.

Yes in Alberta they are insured the same a regular car / truck so you can put any coverage on them the same as those. I have pl/pd on my quads.