Engine Life

I have a 05 WR450, FMF pipe, Quick Shot Accelorator pump, all the free mods, and run 14/52 gears. I ride 2-3 times per week 20-30 miles per ride, I change oil and filter every 2 rides. What kind of life can I expect from the motor and bike at this level? I am toying with the idea of buying a new bike this will help with the decision.

Thanks

Thats a difficult question to answer. It sounds like you change your oil often enough, but do you use a clean air filter for every ride? Do you replace the timing chain once a year? Do you keep an eye on the valve clearances? Are you on the rev-limiter constantly?

Thats a difficult question to answer. It sounds like you change your oil often enough, but do you use a clean air filter for every ride? Do you replace the timing chain once a year? Do you keep an eye on the valve clearances? Are you on the rev-limiter constantly?

You are supposed to change the timing chain once a year?? ??

You are supposed to change the timing chain once a year?? ??

Yes, a worn timing chain will tear up the gear on the crank. The gear on the crank is part of the crankshaft and cannot be replaced without replacing the crank. Timing chains are cheap and easy to put in, cranks are not.

A little off topic but how long have you been running that gearing, why did you choose it and are you happy with the difference. I've been toying with the idea of going to 14/52 myself so that I can get into 2nd more on single track. I don't think I want to go all the way to 13/50 because I'm a little afraid 1st would be useless then.

I have never changed the timing chain in my 98 WR400. That's 8 years of consistant desert and mountain riding including up and back Baja. I runs in an oil bath and properly tensioned at all times. Don't see why it can't last the life of the engine.

Yes, a worn timing chain will tear up the gear on the crank. The gear on the crank is part of the crankshaft and cannot be replaced without replacing the crank. Timing chains are cheap and easy to put in, cranks are not.

How can you tell if its worn? Is itthe same as chain and sprockets-if it pulls away from the cam teath? ? How much is a cam chain?

I guess you can tell when your tensioner is all the way out and the motor jumps time and then self destructs. I replace mine every year, that way I don't have to worry about it failing. Chains run $20-30 dollars and take about 1 hour to install.

While I agree a properly functioning chain is required...I don't think it's needed every year. You've got to think globally when referring to engine wear. Keep up on your valves, air/oil filters and oil changes and other maintenance along with calculating in how you ride. Are you revving to the moon all the time? The more RPM the bike runs at the more wear and tear you will see. Same principle is used for diesel engines, the cummins especially. Diesel motors are designed to produce most of their power down low in the RPM scale, usually between 500-3000. Therefore the less that piston/ring combo is spinning the less wear on the cylinder and it's counterparts. This is why diesel engines can go 300,000 miles and the gas jobs suffer. Anyhow... a properly maintained, trail ridden WR should get you at least 4+ years of every weekend riding 40-50 miles....maybe more but that's an acccurate assumption, IMO. If you're concerned about it that much, have it looked into by a reputable mechanic/shop. Nothing like a little reassurance before you hit the trail... ?

Lol, hmmmmm well for $20-$30 you might be onto something!!! Never really taken much notice of how far out my chain tensioner was...do you notice much stretch in a years worth of riding? Mines an 03 and never been replaced!!

One of my riding buddies has a 03 YZ450. I replaced his chain before last summer, (he rides probably twice a month) and his lower gear was showing some wear.

Do what you want, but these guys that say they don't need replaced need to pop their flywheel off and have a good look at that gear. I bet it has wear, and it came from a chain that is stretched.

One of my riding buddies has a 03 YZ450. I replaced his chain before last summer, (he rides probably twice a month) and his lower gear was showing some wear.

Do what you want, but these guys that say they don't need replaced need to pop their flywheel off and have a good look at that gear. I bet it has wear, and it came from a chain that is stretched.

Again, that's a full on race bike. Not a detuned WR trail bike. Like I said, it all depends on how you ride. Stress beats up a motor.

Again, that's a full on race bike. Not a detuned WR trail bike. Like I said, it all depends on how you ride. Stress beats up a motor.

Not really want to argue with you, I'm just here to offer advice. But, maybe you can explain to me how you know how this particular YZ has been treated? And also the differences between a WR motor with all the free mods and a stock YZ motor?

I have never changed the timing chain in my 98 WR400. That's 8 years of consistant desert and mountain riding including up and back Baja. I runs in an oil bath and properly tensioned at all times. Don't see why it can't last the life of the engine.

you got that right, as soon as it jumps time, the life of your motor just expired ?

Not really want to argue with you, I'm just here to offer advice. But, maybe you can explain to me how you know how this particular YZ has been treated? And also the differences between a WR motor with all the free mods and a stock YZ motor?

Here we go with the "what if's". The advice is appreciated although not all advice given is accurate. Take both sides for what they're worth. It was an assumption...just as you assume the timing chains should be changed every year. Why buy the YZ to moderately use and trail ride? It's a race bred machine, that is it's intended use. I'm talking stock or uncorked(read:no timing or cam adjustments) WR vs. Stock YZ. To be honest I really hope you're wrong...although you may be on to something... ? If my gear shows wear after one year...I'll sell the yammie and go back to my honda XR's. No issues with them. ?

Just finished reading the threads, I ride pretty hard probably average RPM in the 5500 to 7000 range. I really like the bike and it runs really strong I am just wondering if because I ride it hard should I go for a YZ or CRF 450 while this bike is still in really good shape to sell.

TG