Sign in to follow this  

OMG! Airbox fan

OK, that's nuts. Maybe it works...I don't know, but can someone explain to me how you can force more air into the engine than what the engine can suck?

Someone posted that item a while back and the owner/designer was here to argue his point too.

Looks funky... :thumbsup:

If he believes in it, he should send one to someone on here with a dyno. Knowing what I know about all of us on this site, if it shows any improvement, the guy will be rich from advance sales overnight.

(BTW, av, your page sold me on the Utah Sport Cycles bash plate and Flatland rad guards, so tell them you sold a couple, but that also means I'm going to blame you if the stuff doesn't fit :thumbsup: )

Where do they put the battery? It would be cool to have someone review it.

ya were do you put the battery duck tape it to the back fender?? that will look good :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

(BTW, av, your page sold me on the Utah Sport Cycles bash plate and Flatland rad guards, so tell them you sold a couple, but that also means I'm going to blame you if the stuff doesn't fit :thumbsup: )

Whaddayamean they don't fit?! They're ON my bike already! :confused::bonk:

BTW, FlatlandRacing also makes very nice skidplates so if you want to save on shipping to Zambia(?), you can get both items from FlatlandRacing. I can't vouch for their skidplates yet because I haven't tried one but their radiator guards are the best out there IMO :thumbsup: If the same quality and metal thickness goes into their skidplate as their radiator guards, then there is no doubt that the skidplate will also be serious armor for your bike.

Here's the basic problem:

At 11,000 RPM (pretty much the heart of a YZ250F power curve), a 250cc 4-stroke operating at a conservative 80% volumetric efficiency will pump 38 cfm of air through it. The fan, therefore, has to able to produce at least that much airflow just in order for it not to be in the way, never mind provide any gains. And again, that's a 250. A 450 at 10,000 RPM moves 62 cfm. I believe the makers of this little widget said the fan pushed 20 cfm, which would be believable, just not very useful.

Sounds like it would get in the way since it's not pushing enough air through... :thumbsup:

Like all forced induction turbo's and S.c's the cfm must surpase the cfm of the engine at max out put. I can't see a small fan producing that much cfm with out falling apart. What are the specs, what cfm does this charger produce? If the fan was connected to the bikes electrical system to boost power out put, it may just do the traick. I would want to see dyno slips before Installing something like this into my ride..

Regardless it's a pretty interesting device. Good invention.

This looks like all the "electric superchargers" that were all over ebay awhile back ago. Like everyone else said, I doubt they could flow enough for any gains. With the motor pulling more air, and no doubt faster, I can picture it breaking and plastic being sucked in thru the carb.

BTW, FlatlandRacing also makes very nice skidplates so if you want to save on shipping to Zambia(?), you can get both items from FlatlandRacing. I can't vouch for their skidplates yet because I haven't tried one but their radiator guards are the best out there IMO :thumbsup: If the same quality and metal thickness goes into their skidplate as their radiator guards, then there is no doubt that the skidplate will also be serious armor for your bike.
I've got a Flatland skidplate, and it is SERIOUS rock protection.:thumbsup: Much thicker than my Flatland rad guards, and they wrap round the sides. Very nice. If weight is a big issue with you, then you might not like it. It's mounted down low though, so it's no biggie for us log and rock bashers.

NO fn way that would EVER work. By the time you could get a heavy duty enough electic motor to pump out the required CFM, AND a "stator" to put out enought juice to support that motor, you would be +50 pounds easy.

that is the sickest thng i have ever seen... i installed a aftermarket turbo kit on my integra 5 years ago and got rediculous power increases. i dont care if i have that battery duct taped on my rear fender if i am quading sections that were meant to be doubled!!! no really, somebody needs to sack up and take one for the team and try it... maybe me??? i bet it will rip like no other. wanna see kinda what it would run like??? take your air gun from your air compressor and start your bike with the air filter off, shoot a stream of air into the intake boot and see how your bike revs!! now thats good ol' fashion fun and games as long as your rod doesnt break and poke someones eye out!

that is the sickest thng i have ever seen... i installed a aftermarket turbo kit on my integra 5 years ago and got rediculous power increases. i dont care if i have that battery duct taped on my rear fender if i am quading sections that were meant to be doubled!!! no really, somebody needs to sack up and take one for the team and try it... maybe me??? i bet it will rip like no other. wanna see kinda what it would run like??? take your air gun from your air compressor and start your bike with the air filter off, shoot a stream of air into the intake boot and see how your bike revs!! now thats good ol' fashion fun and games as long as your rod doesnt break and poke someones eye out!

Did I just hear of a volunteer? :thumbsup:

So let us know what you think after you have tried it - especially the top end at WOT. :confused::thumbsup: