Sign in to follow this  

OMG! Airbox fan

Yo WheelsUp i rekon ur right i am supa happy with my 07 WR its too good i just bolted a YZ Header & Can & JD Jet Kit to it and it has made an unreal difference like Bottled Rage i tell you. possibly the best mod i have done so far.

any other mods you recomend ?

YZ exhaust cam and cut out the side of the airbox if you don't get into deep mud. For me, the IMS extended-range tank is a lifesaver out in the desert.

Yo been following the thread since the beggining the idea sounds great , all though doesnt seem plausable, in theory if it worked how would the device hold up to the rigors of MX Use as well as Enduro ?:excuseme:

If we are going to try wacked Bolt on devices lets go the whole nine and bolt on a sneaky Pete NOS System if it works I RATE IT WOULD CLEEEEEN My Pipes :eek: !!! imagine an insane rush of HP :eek: till then i rate i will wait till YAMAHA launches a Yamaha WR/YZ250 with a factory Charger bolted to it.:bonk:

for the sake of a steroid driven PC Fan and grenade 2-3 K worth of motor not an option but hey thats just my 2 cents:ride:

we have a huge dune area over here called glamis and you would not beleive the turbo /with nos injection the guys are hanging on the bikes and quads to shoot the hill with.

i built one yfz 450 for a customer with a turbo /w nos injection and the thing is kinda scarry to ride,

i may change my trx this year into a turbo , ( i am getting killed at the hill now with just 63 hp with my 370 kit :cry: )

i need 100 hp to at least be in the game .

the sabertooth 500 kit for the trx will yeald 100 hp also on gas,

it has made 117 hp on meth , ---that would be better more than likley :ride:

It true what Davidl9999 said about mods. For the most part my issues when it comes to riding my bike is between rider and use of right hand rather than not having the power there when I need it. It's great to turn out a motor that has a ton of horsepower and or torque, but realistically most of us aren't running around wot all the time and just don't have enough power to do what we need to do. Anyone who knows me understand my first real serious mod is to take my bike to Factory Connection and have them work it for me. It's the best $700 you will ever spend and it will speed you up more than a pipe, this airbox fan, and a big bore kit combined in my opinion. It's worth at least one if not two gears. If you can get the power on the ground and control it you will be faster than most. This is another reason I want to see what this product does to the curves. It claims to give you more power, and according to a couple of ass dynos that's true, but where and how much remain a mystery. Let's see what happens to the power curves and maybe for a rider like me who is searching mostly for mid range power this would be a good investment, but I have no information to go on to make that decision.

this is true Rootuser, but i would rather see everybody valve their oun suspension rather than send it out.

i can't tell you how many mail out jobs go bad and i end up with them here at my shop showing the dad and the kid what is what and getting them to start to see the light.

suspension valving is just like jetting, -----you would not send your carb off in the mail to get it dialed would you ?----no -----i did not think so .

suspension is an always changing thing that needs to be tweaked constaintly , and you need to be able to alter shim stacks your self. ( i am changing mine again this week ----i generally change one a week as i get stronger, and visa versa when i get weeker ) -----you are not going to send it out and get it to work like you need .

i will say the new 07 kyb stuff is actually very good , ----now i am only 147 to 150 lbs, ----but i pound the hell out of the thing , and it did real well.

other that having to keep it pinned hard all the way in 4th and seat bouncing the hell out of the face to clear some rather large tripples ,( trust me it it needs more motor for some of the normal large obsticles on todays mx tracks , it is week there---but so are all of the 250's) ( the fan did help there --because before it would fall on its face and not pull 4th ----and i cam up way short and plowed the face hard and the kyb stuff was not bad for stock )

it needed alittle more high speed compression and it was week on low speed and high speed rebound ----but not unridable----it was actually a very fun bike to ride , i really liked it very much . :thumbsup:

Funny you should mentioned that Kelstr... I was about to send my carb off actually to ZipTyRacing for their carb mod (I have a couple of extra carbs anyway). I've been wanting to try them out. :D

As for suspension, I actually take mine in to Factory Connection for a revalve unless its just a rebuild in which case I send it out. Sending out your suspension isn't a bad thing IMHO if you bother to take the time to dial it in when it come back to you and don't think you can just slap it on and go.

Now you mention the fan giving you the power to hit the triple... but what other mods did you do to get it there or did you just simply bolt this thing on and bingo, instant power?

Funny you should mentioned that Kelstr... I was about to send my carb off actually to ZipTyRacing for their carb mod (I have a couple of extra carbs anyway). I've been wanting to try them out. :D

As for suspension, I actually take mine in to Factory Connection for a revalve unless its just a rebuild in which case I send it out. Sending out your suspension isn't a bad thing IMHO if you bother to take the time to dial it in when it come back to you and don't think you can just slap it on and go.

Now you mention the fan giving you the power to hit the triple... but what other mods did you do to get it there or did you just simply bolt this thing on and bingo, instant power?

if you read my results on the test for the fan, (its back a few pages under all the people bagging on this idea ,-----:eek: )( seems these guys want to here themselves rant on how much of the wrong math they know ---,showing how little they really do know , rather than maybe learning something :excuseme: )

i used a stock new 07 250f ----it had nothing done to it at all.

i ran it stock , ---and then installed the kit and ran it again --------thats all.

and you would be suprized how good your suspension can work if you learn how to make internal changes yourself , ------valve stacks , mid valve float, bcv, springs and oil height are so easy to be able to do , ----and their are so many variables there is nobody going to do it once for you and have it be correct ,-------just will not happen .

your carb either for that matter.

you should go to the DIY thread in the crf450r fourm , its at the top in a sticky, ---take time to read the whole thing and you will see what i mean.

all this tuning stuff needs to be accuratly done in a certin order to find the best setting , ---and you must keep track of your stock baseline, ---------which gets blown out the window when you ever send anything out :excuseme:

i used a stock new 07 250f ----it had nothing done to it at all.

i ran it stock , ---and then installed the kit and ran it again --------thats all.

But you did rejet to accomodate the fan (which I would expect you to do), but you did not optimize the jetting in the stock configuration. You ran it stock and then made multiple changes including the fan.

How does the bike perform with the current jetting but with the fan removed?

we have a huge dune area over here called glamis and you would not beleive the turbo /with nos injection the guys are hanging on the bikes and quads to shoot the hill with.

i built one yfz 450 for a customer with a turbo /w nos injection and the thing is kinda scarry to ride,

i may change my trx this year into a turbo , ( i am getting killed at the hill now with just 63 hp with my 370 kit :cry: )

i need 100 hp to at least be in the game .

the sabertooth 500 kit for the trx will yeald 100 hp also on gas,

it has made 117 hp on meth , ---that would be better more than likley :ride:

How does the turbo work with a carb engine? Also, do it have a wastegate/BOV?

How does the turbo work with a carb engine? Also, do it have a wastegate/BOV?

Carb or not, every properly made turbo system needs either a wastegate or computer-controlled variable vanes (like on my Duramax) to prevent overboost, which can lead to turbo reversion or "bark" on rapid throttle closing... this can destroy a turbo very quickly... as a friend found out when he clamped off his wastegate's diaphragm line with a pair of Vise-Grips.

A turbo can be used on a carb system in either a draw-through (between the carb and the head) or blow-through system. In the blow-through, the carb's bowl vents are inside the pressurized area between the turbo and the carb. On a car, it's a natural because the vents are already located inside the air filter housing.

Carb or not, every properly made turbo system needs either a wastegate or computer-controlled variable vanes (like on my Duramax) to prevent overboost, which can lead to turbo reversion or "bark" on rapid throttle closing... this can destroy a turbo very quickly... as a friend found out when he clamped off his wastegate's diaphragm line with a pair of Vise-Grips.
Aren't you confusing wastegate with Blow off valve?

The wastegate is there to control the amount of boost. When there's enough boost the exhaust gas bypass the turbo thought the wastegate. Preventing it to boost more.

The blow off valve is located on the intake side and let the pressure go (making a sweet "Whooooosh" sound :busted: ) when the throttle is suddenly closed while the turbo is still pumping. That BOV is controlled by the engine vacuum that is being created when the throttle is suddenly closed.

But you did rejet to accomodate the fan (which I would expect you to do), but you did not optimize the jetting in the stock configuration. You ran it stock and then made multiple changes including the fan.

How does the bike perform with the current jetting but with the fan removed?

the bike would work with the needle in the 5th clip and the longer duration pump , but it would be ritch and slugish .

i have jetted enough of these yz250 f's and ridden them to know that this little 07 actually was not to bad with stock jetting ,-----.

generally here depending on temp and humidity i will go up one on the pilot , and possable one down on the main on pump fuel if need be .( this little bike worked real well , other than being a box stock 250f and being slow like they all are )

jetting was not an issue ---

so i ran the little bike all stock ( and it carburated very good and clean )

the summer time premium pump fuel we have here actually works fair considering .

then i installed the kit ---yes the "kit" --that means i changed the jetting and added the fan ----i installed the stator and ran the wiring .

i already said all of this in my orignal track side test report .

it is a kit and it does require more fuel because you are pulling in more air .

it really is that simple .

this is not a turbo and or require a waste gate or blow off valve .

this is a good intake fan thet helps feed the intake with air .-------its not a supercharger or the like .:ride:

• Like 1

Aren't you confusing wastegate with Blow off valve?

The wastegate is there to control the amount of boost. When there's enough boost the exhaust gas bypass the turbo thought the wastegate. Preventing it to boost more.

Everything I've worked with, either gas or Diesel, has had either only a wastegate or variable vane.

Everything I've worked with, either gas or Diesel, has had either only a wastegate or variable vane.

yes , this is true----he must be confusing the blow off popet valve for a waste gate or the F1 blow off valve to regulate the legal allowed boost for a particular track :excuseme:

but don't you just love your duramax, ---i have been so happy with this dam truck i just love hooking up and going .

ive got my scanner hooked up to it all the time and it is so cool to see it de-fuel between shifts, and watch the injector balance and the puls width modulation when your really working the thing and how it changes as need be,----it will spray more fuel to cool a hole that is getting hotter than normal , ---it also sprays more oil from under the pistons as well ,--

the thing is just a work of art ,

and that allison trans is just a work horse---i can not beleive the pounding that thing will take and it just keeps on ripping and shifting :thumbsup:

It is indeed an awesome truck and I love it. I've got the '06 LLY (CCSB 4x4 LT3), but with the Bullydog programmer on "Performance", it puts 350 @ 610 to the rear wheels. Stock spec is 310 crank, LBZ specs 360 crank and puts about 310 to the rollers.

They eliminated the wastegate on the original LLY and went to a VVT. The '06 LLY basically is an LBZ except for the programming... same intake, turbo, and Bosch ECM.

I also added a Titan "Supertank"... 52 gallons to replace the stock 26 gallon box. I can get from the Flying-J in Gorman to the Sonoma valley and back with plenty of room to spare.

Unfortunately, I need to sell mine. Got a company vehicle and in losing the $.50/mile, I can no longer swing the payments :cry:

sorry to here you might have to get rid of the truck, --maybe you can pull it off and keep it .

you never know sometimes ,---:ride:

Nope... WAY beyond that point. Beyond the loss of expenses, there's been some BS medical issues with my wife that are costing her time at work, and quite probably her new job.

It's gonna suck around here for a while.

Luckily, the Yamaha and Vulcan are in no danger.

Nope... WAY beyond that point. Beyond the loss of expenses, there's been some BS medical issues with my wife that are costing her time at work, and quite probably her new job.

It's gonna suck around here for a while.

Luckily, the Yamaha and Vulcan are in no danger.

sorry to here, ----it will all get better soon :thumbsup::ride:

sorry to here, ----it will all get better soon :thumbsup::ride:

Thanks. I know it will... it always does.

As long as the Vulcan is in the garage and the Yammi is in the shed, I have an escape for the weekends.

yes , this is true----he must be confusing the blow off popet valve for a waste gate or the F1 blow off valve to regulate the legal allowed boost for a particular track :thumbsup:

but don't you just love your duramax, ---i have been so happy with this dam truck i just love hooking up and going .

I'm sorry but my car (Dodge SRT4) have both a wastegate and a Blow off valve and they are both working exactly like mentioned in my other post.

BOV: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blow_off_valve

Wastegate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wastegate

Like I said, mine have both. :ride:

Proof:

"There is a common myth in the automotive world about so called "wastegate chatter" or "turbo flutter", a noise created on lifting off the throttle in a turbocharged car. The sound is commonly described as a chipmunk or a rattlesnake and is often stated incorrectly as being a result of the turbo's wastegate closing.

The noise is in fact the air compressed by the turbo passing back through the compressor wheel of the turbo after the airflow is abruptly halted by the throttle plate closing. This is also known as Compressor Surge and over time can result in significant damage to the turbocharger. Surge puts an enormous amount of stress on the compressor wheel and thrust bearing which causes them to fatigue and eventually fail. To avoid this damage, turbocharged cars will use a blowoff valve (BOV) or bypass valve (BPV), which allows the extra pressurized air in the intake out. However, in some cases, i.e. where it doesn't open fast enough or is set up to only react to high boost, some chatter will remain. Surge can occur on diesels when the turbo is attempting to pressurize the air at a higher pressure ratio than the compressor wheel can flow at a given speed. Diesels have no use for a BOV as they do not have a throttle.

The chatter noise is very noticeable on WRC Rally cars, where no BOV is allowed."

I'm sorry but my car (Dodge SRT4) have both a wastegate and a Blow off valve and they are both working exactly like mentioned in my other post.

I think every petrol turbo car has a BOV and wastegate. :thumbsup: