3x3 Mod And The B.C. Climate

Hi All,

I did the Dynajet Stage II kit install on my '05 SM (155 main jet) and I'm just about to cut the airbox for the 3x3 mod as recommended in the Dynajet instructions. The local Suzuki mechanic suggested that the 3"x3" hole may be better suited for California weather and could be too much air for the cooler, humid climate here on Vancouver Island. He's suggesting that I start with a smaller opening than 3"x3" and gradually increase the opening size until the bike feels right.

Here's my question, particularly to the B.C.-based riders: did you go through this tweaking process, or did you just cut the 3"x3" hole and that was it?

I'd be interested to hear from any riders in B.C. who have done the 3"x3" mod with the DJ kit and what the results were, good or bad.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

He's an idiot. There is no such thing as to much air entering the engine. Only too little fuel for the air entering.

An engine is just an air pump. Anything you can do to allow it to pump more effeciently is desireable...because the pay off is more power output.

If the larger hole causes the bike to run lean...then simply increase the main jet size.

I don't understand this idea some people have of restricting airflow as a means of jetting an engine. Give it all the air it can take...then correct the jetting.

agree with bill

I eun much more than a 3x3 and have a great running bike. The mechanic is trying to give you advice about something he knows nothing-telling you to work up gradually is his way of covering his ass just in case the 3x3 might work. It does work and makes a great difference and will not affect reliability or any other parameter-just more power.

I live in Wisconsin and had mine out for a spin because I have not ridden the bike yet, got it in january, did the mods, 155 jet, in 38 degree weather and it runs great.

What would happen if you made a 3x8 hole and increased the main jet to lets say 170 at sea level...would that make more power?

Hi All,

I did the Dynajet Stage II kit install on my '05 SM (155 main jet) and I'm just about to cut the airbox for the 3x3 mod as recommended in the Dynajet instructions. The local Suzuki mechanic suggested that the 3"x3" hole may be better suited for California weather and could be too much air for the cooler, humid climate here on Vancouver Island. He's suggesting that I start with a smaller opening than 3"x3" and gradually increase the opening size until the bike feels right.

Here's my question, particularly to the B.C.-based riders: did you go through this tweaking process, or did you just cut the 3"x3" hole and that was it?

I'd be interested to hear from any riders in B.C. who have done the 3"x3" mod with the DJ kit and what the results were, good or bad.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

holy cow,thats funny but very scary at the same time.

What would happen if you made a 3x8 hole and increased the main jet to lets say 170 at sea level...would that make more power?

nope,far less power.not becuase of the hole size but becuase the bike will be slobbering rich with a 170 main jet.

going much bigger than 3x3 has no effect on stock carbed and motor S/SM's.

take your air box door off for test.

Mine works great. I live in Vancouver, BC.

I do not ask the local Dealers for anything. I find them morons. I trust Thumpertalk, all the guys here are AWESOME. In my honest opinion, a lot of the people on this forum, should be hired by Suzuki and given high salaries. These guys are way more experienced and competent then anyone I met representing Suzuki. If I was in charged, I'd make Burned CEO. I remember I told him that once. He said... no way. TO much Bullshit. Hahaha. YUP!

I'd only go to the dealer if I was lazy and didn't want to maintain/fix my own bike. Mind you, that's half the fun. So do the 3x3, it works awesome!

My local dealer gave me the hairy eyebrow when I was asking about the mod as well. It turned out excellent. I also live in BC.

Come to think..... about every mod recommended has been well worth the time. Now git'er done and go wheelie! :thumbsup:

Yep, I live in Victoria and the 3x3 mod worked out great. No regrets whatsoever

yep,just do it.i live in the sunny okanagan and the 3x3mod and the dj kit woke up the restricted sm.but if you really want to make a difference put on a 39mm fcr carb.

btw-the stealer wants your money so don't waste your money there.if you have problems after you cut the hole and jet it go to the jetting forum and ask burned.he will get you dialed in :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mine works great. I live in Vancouver, BC.

I do not ask the local Dealers for anything. I find them morons. I trust Thumpertalk, all the guys here are AWESOME. In my honest opinion, a lot of the people on this forum, should be hired by Suzuki and given high salaries. These guys are way more experienced and competent then anyone I met representing Suzuki. If I was in charged, I'd make Burned CEO. I remember I told him that once. He said... no way. TO much Bullshit. Hahaha. YUP!

I'd only go to the dealer if I was lazy and didn't want to maintain/fix my own bike. Mind you, that's half the fun. So do the 3x3, it works awesome!

It's just a job to them....it's a little more than that to some of these guys. :thumbsup:

Haha,

True,

I think here, the DRZ is not just a hobby, or a toy, its an INVESTMENT

Haha,

True,

mine sure is an investment-not a very good one I think, but &%$#@!-it's a fun one and you cant take it with you

Opening up the airbox worked well up here in Powell river on both E and S models. :thumbsup:

Haha,

True,

See, thats the problem.....invest 'til ya bleed :thumbsup: TOOOooo many mods to be lusted after!

155 main seems big to me

but as long as it's running good then thats all that matters

I'm running a 136 main here in Cranbrook BC which is right around 3000 feet

with a pipe, DJ stage 2 and twin air

when I hit about 4000 feet the bike really runs good

bringing up the wheel any time you crack the throttle hard

155 main seems big to me

but as long as it's running good then thats all that matters

I'm running a 136 main here in Cranbrook BC which is right around 3000 feet

with a pipe, DJ stage 2 and twin air

when I hit about 4000 feet the bike really runs good

bringing up the wheel any time you crack the throttle hard

the sm model for some reason wants to be richer,i'm in kelowna and at 1400 feet and when i had the cv carb on it i ran a 150 mj.before i did the 3x3 mod i ran a 138 mj and i have a full yosh ex on it :thumbsup: