Sign in to follow this  

XR200 & XR200R Racing / Results.......!!!

Yep, I race mine in the ECEA harescramble series, in the EL Womens class, I don't do too well, I run the 200 because it is the largest bike allowed in the class the class runs the youth course so the terrain is technical but not to difficult, but the bike is fun to ride when you get used to it, although the suspension is really bouncy, anyone have any tips on how to stiffen it up, I cant find any different suspension parts for it so far.

Jackie

Hi Jackie,

Alright...........another XR200R racer! :thumbsup: The stock suspension leavers a LOT to be desired. :confused: Good news, you can do quite a bit to the suspension. Do a search as their has been much discussion on the subject. In one of my old posts I went through in detail what can be done with older XR200R parts. Others have detailed info on swapping parts from other models. Check it out! :thumbsup:

Keep us updated with the details on your racing!

Old School Al

Yep, I race mine in the ECEA harescramble series, in the EL Womens class, I don't do too well, I run the 200 because it is the largest bike allowed in the class the class runs the youth course so the terrain is technical but not to difficult, but the bike is fun to ride when you get used to it, although the suspension is really bouncy, anyone have any tips on how to stiffen it up, I cant find any different suspension parts for it so far.

Jackie

Did I see you riding with my son in the youth Class at the TeamHammer HS in Port Elizabeth 2 weeks ago?

Some of the women riders there really haul! I think a woman was running like 3rd overall.

We seem have a few riders out there that are actually racing Honda XR200 and XR200Rs'. :confused: Thought is would be interesting to start a thread for them to tell about their up coming races and the race results! Tell us all about it, type of race, terrain, funny looks, comments, etc, etc...............! :thumbsup:

Anybody interested................???

Old School Al

Hi Al:

Chalk up another XR200 win. I raced my '84 this past Saturday in WI as a part of the D-16 H/S Series. I was entered in the Vintage class (along with 7 other riders on various older machines) and they gated us with six entries of combined 50+/60+ guys in the second wave behind 42 eager C riders. I was worried that the C guys on modern bikes would use us AHRMA guys on our old bikes for traction. :bonk:

We left 30 seconds behind the C riders. I was lucky enough to holeshot our line and was deep into the C wave by halfway thru the first lap. On the 7th lap the little XR was lapping expensive new KTMs; Jap 'F' bikes; and anything else that got in our way. :bonk:

The course was more open that I would have liked (lots of MX track with a smattering of singletrack and to me - not all that technical) and I figured that the little XR would be outclassed quickly. I guess I need to stop worrying. :bonk:

We get to do it all again in a few weeks on a more traditional singletrack layout on the other side of the state. :thumbsup:

I hope to have some pics in a few days.

Howdy from Team Old School! Just got back from a picture perfect day of racing at Woodland WA, the track was one of the best layouts I've seen in two years, it was longer with more jumps, fast sweepers,off cambers, some tight sections in the trees,and those famous foot tall berms. The turnout probably set a record since it was the last race before they turn it into a subdivision...how fitting to let the Vintage/Evolution bikes have the honor. For the first time I got to start with nearly a full gate, we had Unlimited Exp/Int along with +30 Exp/Int. The little XR218 is forced to run in unlimited since it has a pro-link, fortunately the first turn wasn't super far away and we managed to come out of it in 7th or 8th (most of the bikes are 250/400 two strokes with a few 490 Maicos thrown in for grins) after passing a couple guys and then being passed by two experts, I think we finished 7th against the whole line and 1st in my class. The second moto was a repeat except I was boxed in and almost got caught in a first turn pileup, after missing the downed rider I bounced off a dirt wall and motored on around 9/10th, managed to get two more guys and 1st in my class. All in all a great day of racing !

Yesterday was the last race of the 9 race series and after all the points were added up, we wound up as class champion in Unlimited Int. What a great way to say goodbye to a beloved track. (1967-2006 R.I.P.)

Only problem with winning is now they think I should move up to the expert class... :thumbsup: Needless to say were having fun riding "the wife's bike!"

Old School Jeff

Hey guys is it OK for me to jump in here with a little xr200 story and then get some advice. Mine is a 1990 that I had Powroll stroke the crank and I installed their torque cam. With stock suspension I entered it in the Shelton, WA enduro last spring and took first in the senior C class and 16th overall for the short (60 mile) course. There were a whole lot of orange bikes running around that day that my little foo foo stead with drum brakes bested. Of course I could barely walk for the next two days.

Last fall I picked up a KLX300 and put my little trusty stead to the back of the garage. Well I put the KLX in the sparkplug enduro a couple of weeks ago and took 8th in the senior C and somewhere around 100th overall. The dang thing is just too heavy. At 276 pounds wet, its killing me. My 50 year old frame can't man handle that thing for very long. So last week I dusted off the xr200 and started looking at it with a renewed eyes.

I think I've fallen back in love with it. I found a cr125 front end yesterday that I'm going to try to get fitted to it before this years Shelton enduro in two weeks. So my question is --Is there an easy way to fit an odometer to a cr front end, or do I have to get one of those magnetic pick up units like trail tech?

Bultaco,

Boy, sounds like you also had some XR200R fun this weekend! :thumbsup:Do you have a results page from the race with times etc. to see how you finished against the riders in other classes? Give us a link if something is available, these are fun to look at.

Jeff didn't mention he diced with a 4-valve XR200R this weekend. On the second moto when he got caught in first corner traffic the 4-valve got ahead. Took him two and a half laps to run it down and pass. He and the guy on the 4-valve have a lot of fun racing each other.

Keep us informed on your next race! :thumbsup:

Old School Al

The results aren't up yet. A quick scan showed that the little XR would have finished about 16th out of 42 in the C class - if I remember correctly.

I covered 24 miles in 1:03:02.

Hey Yogi,

Glad you jumped in with your XR200R racing story! Great to hear from others that realize the potential of a old XR200R! :thumbsup: Your not too far away, maybe sometime we could actually put a XR200R team together for a race in the NW!

Sounds like your running pretty much the same motor we are. We've stayed with the stock forks with lots of mods (doing more right now) so we can still run some vintage. Also for the novelty........same with the drum brakes! Next we are going to do major mods to the custom Works rear shock.

On the speedo for a CR front wheel, the Trail Tech is about it I would think.

Glad you found us..................keep us informed on your racing! :thumbsup:

Old School Al

Just noticed the results from the modern cross country Old School Jeff ran back in 04 are still available, thought I'd post the link so those interested could take a look at http://www.lobosmc.com/results/event/04_FC_Heppner.pdf

Jeff is #11FP in the 40 Am class riding a Honda 01 XR200R against the modern bikes in a 80 mile high desert cross country, two 40 mile laps. He had a flat rear tire and ran two thirds of the second lap on the flat. You can see the first lap times, second lap times, total times and on the left place overall. (Some classes only ran one lap.) Interesting to compare to the other riders and classes to see how he did compared to them. We will be going to this race again in May if everything goes as planned! :thumbsup:

If any other XR200R racers have results of their races, give us a link so we can check it out! :thumbsup: Lots of fun to see how may moderns were eating a little XR200R dust! :confused:

Old School Al

Bultaco206,

Did they ever get the results up................?

Anyone else been racing their XR200 lately........or going to be???

Old School Al

Bultaco206,

Did they ever get the results up................?

Anyone else been racing their XR200 lately........or going to be???

Old School Al

Haven't seen anything yet.

I'll be back at it this weekend. :crazy:

Al:

The old '84 and I were at it again this past weekend at another D-16 H/S in Wisconsin. I will admit that I let the old school XR bunch down a little as I struggled all day. There were 11 of us vintage guys and I finished 4th in the class.

The C wave gated in front of us had a lot less riders than last time - I'm guessing in the high 20s - versus the 42 we had previously. Gated in row 2 with us was about 6 combined 50+/60+ on modern bikes. I did catch and pass several C riders but it didn't come as easy as last time. I believe I did lap two of them. I just couldn't settle in and find any kind of a rhythm. Perhaps riding a '75 Bultaco with all the modern bikes in the previous day's MX took it's toll. Or maybe I'm just getting too old & fat. :ride:

I believe the computer results from the first race we did should be posted tomorrow. The results from this past race will probably take a week or so. We only have one more race that offers a vintage class (July 9) and it appears I will have to miss it.

Let's keep those XR200 race reports coming! :crazy:

Bultaco,

Man you got to let some of those guys finish ahead of you once in awhile! :ride: Some days are better than others, and some events are more suited for a 200 than others. Still sounds like you did ok to me! :crazy:

Put up a link to your results when you can..............aways fun to look at how a old 200 stacks up!

Old School Al

Bultaco,

Put up a link to your results when you can..............aways fun to look at how a old 200 stacks up!

Old School Al

Al:

Here's a link to the results of the 4/22 race...

5:00 AM Sunday May 21st found the Old School Race Team headed for the Heppner Monkey Butt Hare Scrambles. A modern bike race in the lightly timbered rocky high desert of Eastern Oregon. We ran this race in the fall of of 04 and it was fairly dry. Not this time, had been raining the day before and rained most of the race. Old Jeff wanted rain (would have taken some snow to) for slick conditions so the big bikes have a harder time using their HP on him. :ride: Almost got too much of what he wanted. The mud it a reddish clay gumbo that sticks to everything. The kind when you walk in it your feet keep getting bigger.

He entered in the 40 AM class which had nine entries all on modern bikes and lined up next to a KTM 525 like he belonged there! :busted: Blasted off the line and managed to get ahead of a couple riders by the time he headed down the trail. The the laps were 17 miles on mostly fairly tight single track. Jeff said the first two laps were fun then it turned into survival. We gassed on the third lap and tried to dig some mud off the cylinder and head. The only part of the engine not packed was the back half to third of the cylinder fins. It was packing so much mud Jeff said the bike was feeling heavy. What that poor little bike was going through was unbelievable! Bikes were breaking down and riders were just plain giving up. Said you'd see bikes with no rider in sight just leaning against a tree out on the course. Jeff never laid the bike down and was able to handle everything that came along. He finished on the 5th lap with 85 hard fought miles behind him. It was a sight to see but he and the XR were really in pretty good shape. Said another lap would have been no problem, just would have backed off the pace a bit. Old Leroy took some great pictures and video. When all the riders were in and scores figured to our surprise Old Jeff was 1st in his class! I noticed he had even come in ahead of some of the riders that placed in the 30 Am class ahead of him. Boy was it fun after it was all over!

The whole week before had been a scramble to get ready. Monday the little XR was just a engine and frame sitting on a stand in the middle of the shop. Tuesday parts we needed finally started showing up. Biggest hang up was fixing a problem with the Works shock (rebound dampening mechanism) due to water getting into it. Also modified it to a to go from a 13.50" length to a 13.75" length to accommodate our new higher profile 110/100-17 IRC rear tire. New control cables, tires, heavy duty tubes, steering head bearings, fork seals , etc etc etc. Got done Sat afternoon in time for Old Jeff to go for a 1 1/2 hour test ride, back to the shop wash and final check over. Luckily everything was working perfectly as we were out of time! :banana:

Bikes cleaned up and back in the shop for a few more tweaks getting ready for the big one in less than two weeks. On June 2nd we head for Idaho for a modern 2-Day ISDE. Going to be 125 miles a day for two days! Is Team old School up to the challenge.............? We're a bit nervous on this one quite honestly...................but what the heck!

Old School Al & the Team Old School XR200R Race Team

• Like 1

I wonder if there are any 200s entered in the ISDE this year.

Its in the north island of NZ, Im in the south island.

Im tempted to take the week off work and go up and check it out.

Keep up the good work team old school!

First race this summer for me on my 98' XR200 will be on June 25th in Plymouth,Pa. As I mentioned earlier, last year I took 8th out of 20 and then 9th out of about the same the second time. I really feel sorry for the 125's I will be up against again. hehehe

The Old School XR200R Race Team is off to the Idaho 2-Day ISDE in less than 2 hrs! We're as ready as we're going to get! Bit of a story, but hope we can pass the sound test during inspection. Weather report looks perfect, mid 70's and chance of rain! :applause: Wish Old School Jeff luck..............he's going to need it!

Old School Al & The Old School Race Team :D