Sign in to follow this  

XR200 & XR200R Racing / Results.......!!!

Great pics, you guys are badass. :bonk:

Yogi, on the picture labeled "Just before the start", what was that bike directly in front of you? It has an interesting looking back end, and I have no idea what it is.

Great pics, you guys are badass. :bonk:

Yogi, on the picture labeled "Just before the start", what was that bike directly in front of you? It has an interesting looking back end, and I have no idea what it is.

Quick Draw, you are one perceptive young man. That was a Chinese import bike being ridden by an old Enduro Champion. This guy was the kind of guy that would build something rather than buy it. This bike was a pet project of his, in that, he was importing it and then working with American company's to make it better.

The engine looked like a Honda 90, but it was a 125. It had cheap imitation trials tires on both ends, the back being a 19 incher. The exhaust ran up into the frame and out directly over the rear wheel. It had no air box so he made one with duct tape for the wet weather. The total weight of the thing was 160 pounds. Currently the import cost was $1800 brand new. (We spent some time talking to him about the bike at the end of the enduro) He was on the minute in front of us, and even though he was at least 60, he could make that thing fly. I passed him just as he was working on his bike at about mile 20. He had crashed and his seat flew off, so he was taping it back on with electrical tape.

I think in about a year he will have the bugs worked out and this little machine may be a serious old guy bike, for us old guys, bike weight is much more important than horsepower.

It had no air box so he made one with duct tape for the wet weather.

-snip-

He had crashed and his seat flew off, so he was taping it back on with electrical tape.

That's the best build-your-own-moto story I've ever read.

If you know this guy you must get him on TT!

"O"

That's the best build-your-own-moto story I've ever read.

If you know this guy you must get him on TT!

"O"

There's another enduro the first weekend in May, I'll see if he shows up and take a pic of the bike to post. Also I'll ask him if he is a TT member.

The bike looked like a combination trials bike/trail bike. Very sleek lines for a Chinese thing. Really, an original design for them. He was towing it on a Harbor Freight trailer behind an old shortie school bus he had painted green with a brush and converted into a motorhome, not unlike what Jed Clampet might drive (flex pipe for stoves going here and there with home made shelves storing peanut butter and mayonnaise sticking out near the windows). I was pretty impressed.

The following relates to the Stumpjumper weekend in Odessa with the poker runs on Sat and The Desert 100 on Sun. I did the poker run. The 80 mile ironman was the one I started.

Had a great time. Rained heavy from about 4:00am till about 6:00 am and then lightly until about 9:30. From then on the day was perfect. We got started on the ironman about 9:10 and it was a little sobering to see the first rider down in a good amount of pain not 200 yards into it. There was some slick places and it was worth being a little careful.

Here was the signup line just 5 minutes after signup started

DSC02931.jpg

Here is where the first ironman bottleneck appeared. A med difficulty downhill made so by slick conditions.

DSC02941.jpg

Had a little mishap at about mile 4. Got into a little race with a cr250 along the trails near the stream/river, where we would pass/leapfrog each other and as some of you know there are some surprising little jumps down there that sort of come out of nowhere. You hit a little rise and low and behold, there's a hole on the other side that a vw bus might fit into. I hit that sucker with a good bit of speed and upon landing one of my more neglected bike parts decided it had had enough neglect. (I suppose the engine/suspension parts sort of look down their noses at body parts because they get all the attention and it must make them feel sorta undervalued). Well my right foot peg evidently had enough of that and decided to divorce itself completely from the rest of my machine and go look for some other bike to attach itself to, I guess.

Well I found it, but with snapped mounting bolts it was not going to allow itself to be re-attached anytime soon. So I got to experience just what riding was like without my little undervalued foot peg. Try standing up on technical sections with just one leg. Imagine holding one's right leg up and out of the way of rocks, rocks painted to look like bushes, and more rocks. At the first checkpoint I decided to follow the family run instead, hoping to just get behind some little 6 year old on a pw50 and try to cruise behind them all the while trying to appear the concerned parent going slow to protect their little chicklings. Problem was, I couldn't find a pw50 rider going as slow as I ended up going. So I just limped along for the next 23 miles until the course took us back to the staging area, hopped off the bike, all the while trying to appear the macho guy that just finished the total thing, went over got my iron man tee shirt and called it a day.

All in all, had a blast

The little xr200 finished up another enduro today. Took 3rd in class, out of 20 riders and 19th overall, out of 121 riders. (Would have taken 2nd in class, but yours truly got into an argument with his riding buddy and insisted on riding on into a possible checkpoint when the riding buddy said "no wait a bit". Yours truly said "pooh on that" and rode into the possible and found a checkpoint after all and ended up being 10 seconds too early. Costs yours truly 2 points and second place. Smarter riding partner should have made a more convincing argument.)

Really missed the old school racing team and the pics that they would have taken. (I'm sure Old School Jeff would have insisted much stronger "Don't do it mate, there's probably going to be a checkpoint there").

QuickDraw. You were wondering about that import bike you saw a glimpse of last month. Well here is a link to what I was trying to describe.

http://extremetoysforboys.com/index.php3/item/item/Sikk%20Trail%20Bike%20-%20125cc.html

Hey Yogi,

Good job! Wow overall that's pretty darn impressive! That's a lot of modern and younger riders behind you and the old XR200R. Team Old School would liked to have been there................maybe in Nov.:applause:

Old School Jeff was out training Sat at the site of the cross country race in two weeks. Has won his class there twice and hopes to do it again!:applause: The Old School XR200R seems to have survived the muddy water through the motor at the Spark Plug Enduro with no real ill effects so far.

Thanks for the great race report!:p

Old School Al

Where's Old School Jeff with his latest race report! He was out racing this last Sunday putting some hurt on the big modern bikes!:) We were a little worried about making this race, as Friday afternoon he was at the hospital getting his little finger on the left hand sewed back on!:ride: He was a bit worried about being able to grip the bars for a cross country race. I told him not a problem................I had a extra roll of duct tape and would tape his hand tight to the handle bars! He didn't seem to hot on that idea.............sounded like a plan to me!:bonk:

Old School Al

Howdy from Team Old School,

Here’s a quick race report of the Heppner/Morrow X/C race this past Sunday. Had a great turnout this year; we were afraid it would be hot and dusty, but when we arrived it was cool and overcast with a light rain to make it very slick in spots. I signed up in the 40 Intermediate and was told the race would be 3 laps on a 28 mile loop. (My Trailtech showed 83.12 miles total and a 24.3 speed average.)

The course was a nice mix of technical, rocks, a little single track, and quite a few long and fast road sections. There were several times I spent 15 to 20 minutes getting around some 450’s in the woods, only to have them blast by me on the road sections. My top speed was 53 mph and I know those guys could easily hit 75 mph.

Morrow is unique in how quickly it will change from dark loamy dense woods to dry, hard, rocky, high desert stuff. You really had to be on your toes, as many guys took a trip over the bars and wound up with broken bikes and/or bodies. Al heard of a broken arm, a broken nose, and lots of DNF’s. He said a lot of guys took off at the start, but only about two-thirds made it to the finish.

I had some close calls myself. About 10 minutes into the race two guys just in front of me fell and blocked the trail; I just barely found a slot to get by. The other heart stopper was when a guy I was trying to pass hit a slick spot and started to lowside. I had no choice but to jump off through deep grass. I was headed straight for a big stump and a downed 12 inch log…I took the log, held my breath, and bunny hopped as high as I could. It was a spectacular Flying W, but I somehow managed to land with my feet on the pegs and back on the trail. I confess to dropping the little 200 twice. I was getting tired and washed the front in a couple of slow off-camber corners.

Overall, it was a fun and challenging race, close to 3 ½ hours for me. I was sure surprised at the finish when the guy cut my score card and announced, “There’s 2nd place”. Then his eyes got wide when he recognized the bike and he said,” XR200, right on!” And therein lies the fun of racing a “play bike”.

So to all the guys I got to ride with, thanks for the memories and let’s do it again!

Jeff :)

• Like 1

Dang Jeff. That does sound like fun. Congrats on 2nd.

How tough compared to the sparkplug (to give me something to compare to)

Chuck

Hi Chuck, I think you would have liked it, just substitute rocks for all the roots, logs and water of Tahuya!

It was darn slick in spots and got pretty hammered on lap 3, but it was only 3 1/2 hrs long and the speed avg. was faster, so not quite as tiring. I also only took one 30 second pit for fuel. I felt like I could run another lap...but was starting to get a little sloppy, probably best to end on a good note.

They will be doing another one in the late fall, kick it around.

Jeff

We didn't realize at the time how good the weather really was for the race Sunday. Heard the people that spent the night to clean up the course woke up to three inches of snow on Monday morning!:ride: That would have made it interesting............!:)

Old School Al

Well Old School Jeff is switching brands for a race on Sunday.:thumbsup: He has a factory ride...................for a company that has been out of business for years!:busted: As most the old guys know, Eastern Oregon was Hodaka's home base. This June 21 - 24 is Hodaka Days in Athena Oregon. Harry Taylor that was the well known R&D man, racer, tuner (now in his 70's) for Hodaka has asked Old School Jeff to race his latest highly modified, custom built Hodaka 175 in the scrambles races on Sunday. Former MX racers Tommy Croft and Ron Pomeroy will be racing two of Harry's other bikes. Old Jeff is no stranger to Hodaka's, won the 100cc piston port classs here in 05. Also won a gold medal for Team Hodaka at the ISDT Reunion ride in Ark. in 05. Was sponsered by our friend Paul Stannard that now owns Hodaka from Charlestown RI. Anyone interested in Hodaka Day's can check it out at: http://www.hodakadays.org/ If you go to page 6 of Previous Hodaka Days there are two pictures of O/S Jeff gittin er done on #94. He's riding a Hodaka 100 owned by our friend Thal Anderson. This is a cool event, lots of fun if you ever get the chance to attend.:thumbsup:

Old School Al

Yogi, that guy's been my riding partner since 1975, and he is always searching for the ideal lightweight woods bike. I think he is on the right track with the Sikk 125, and he is actually doing r&d for them. No matter what he's riding, he is always tring new ideas to improve his bike. I won't tell you how old he is, but he is older than me, and I'm 65. I rode the 2007 beginner enduro at Shelton with him on my bone-stock 1983 XL 200. It was a hoot, and also my first enduro after about 20 years of not riding bikes at all. I found this old 200 in Oregon, and having owned several XR's thought I would take a chance on it. Needing a legal plate and something light enough for tight trail riding this was an easy choice for an old guy like me. I also remember how much fun it is to whup expensive race bikes with one of these little Hondas, and know they are a force to be reckoned with in the woods. It's good to see 200's still doing it.

Yogi, that guy's been my riding partner since 1975, and he is always searching for the ideal lightweight woods bike. I think he is on the right track with the Sikk 125, and he is actually doing r&d for them. No matter what he's riding, he is always tring new ideas to improve his bike. I won't tell you how old he is, but he is older than me, and I'm 65. I rode the 2007 beginner enduro at Shelton with him on my bone-stock 1983 XL 200. It was a hoot, and also my first enduro after about 20 years of not riding bikes at all. I found this old 200 in Oregon, and having owned several XR's thought I would take a chance on it. Needing a legal plate and something light enough for tight trail riding this was an easy choice for an old guy like me. I also remember how much fun it is to whup expensive race bikes with one of these little Hondas, and know they are a force to be reckoned with in the woods. It's good to see 200's still doing it.

I did the Little Bear Beginner Enduro yesterday and he was there again still riding that little Sikk 125. He did quite well, and I think he is in his early 70's, so I am throughly impressed. In 20 years, will I be riding as well? Probably not.

Yes the little xr200's are indeed a force to be reckoned with. I took first in the 200 class and 5th overall yesterday. It's kinda funny for people look at that bike and think "Wow he must be so good to ride that quick on one of those". Little do they know that it is the bike and not me. When I had a more expensive bike, I did worse. I think Honda really screwed up dropping these bikes from their lineup.

Well Old School Jeff is switching brands for a race on Sunday.:thumbsup: He has a factory ride...................for a company that has been out of business for years!:busted: As most the old guys know, Eastern Oregon was Hodaka's home base. This June 21 - 24 is Hodaka Days in Athena Oregon. Harry Taylor that was the well known R&D man, racer, tuner (now in his 70's) for Hodaka has asked Old School Jeff to race his latest highly modified, custom built Hodaka 175 in the scrambles races on Sunday. Former MX racers Tommy Croft and Ron Pomeroy will be racing two of Harry's other bikes. Old Jeff is no stranger to Hodaka's, won the 100cc piston port classs here in 05. Also won a gold medal for Team Hodaka at the ISDT Reunion ride in Ark. in 05. Was sponsered by our friend Paul Stannard that now owns Hodaka from Charlestown RI. Anyone interested in Hodaka Day's can check it out at: http://www.hodakadays.org/ If you go to page 6 of Previous Hodaka Days there are two pictures of O/S Jeff gittin er done on #94. He's riding a Hodaka 100 owned by our friend Thal Anderson. This is a cool event, lots of fun if you ever get the chance to attend.:thumbsup:

Old School Al

OK Al, we'll be waiting for an update from you guys. I hope you do/did well.

Hey Yogi, good job at the Little Bear Enduro.:thumbsup:

One correction on Hodaka Days. Tommy Croft and Ron Pomeroy rode bikes from Strictly Hodaka, Jeff rode Harry Taylor's bike.

I'll try to get Jeff to give his race report when he gets a chance. Jeff and Ron had great race in the Grand Prix.........was fun to watch. Also got to dice with a 21 year old Nick Chapman riding a trick Macio framed, reed valved, 250 Hodaka. Hodaka Days in Athena Oregon was a blast this year!:thumbsup:

Old School Al