Sign in to follow this  

XR200 & XR200R Racing / Results.......!!!

Race report Hodaka Days 2007

As Al mentioned, I was offered a ride on Harry Taylor's custom 175 Hodaka mx bike. I went out twice during practice to get use to the bike - it turns really different from my xr200, actually pretty scary at times...I would throw it over and the front would just push and wash out. I finally resorted to climbing on the tank,slowing down and pitching the back-end around.

I raced 3 times and got three holeshots, the motor is very strong and 2nd gear starts were the ticket. The first race I won against a younger guy on a trick Maico framed Hodaka 250. The second race I lost the front end and dropped it in the first turn(very embarassing!)I got mad and managed to catch back up, but couldn't find a place to pass and took second.

The third race was the 8 lap GP and is open to anyone on any Hodaka bike. I knew I had my work cut-out for me when former National Pro Ron Pomeroy lined up(Jim Pomeroy's little brother). I got the holeshot an ran about 5 laps unchallenged, then on lap 6 Ron was putting on the heat and finally got by on lap 7(I was losing steam!)I tried a last ditch pass at the checker but was short a bike length. Ron stopped to give me a high five and told me I'd made him work for it.(at least I got to throw dirt on him!)

Ron and I are about the same age and he definately still has the speed(he was on a smaller bike). Al says I better start a training program for Hodaka Days if I want to run with the big dogs!

It was a great day of racing and a fitting end to Hodaka Days 2007. It sure was fun to get back on a Vintage two-smoke, I was grinning ear to ear the whole time. :thumbsup:

Jeff

Cool report Jeff. Of course we'll overlook it this time reporting about a 2 smoke and all. As far as grinning ear to ear, I think you would do that no matter what kind of bike you were on. Then again, wouldn't we all?

Hey Yogi,

Wanted to wish you and Jeff good luck at the enduro this Sunday. Figure I better miss this one ........ have become a landlord and too much to do before winter sets in.:worthy: Show them what old guys on bad 200's can do .... and we'll be expecting a race report!:worthy:

Old School Al

Hey Yogi,

Wanted to wish you and Jeff good luck at the enduro this Sunday. Figure I better miss this one ........ have become a landlord and too much to do before winter sets in.:worthy: Show them what old guys on bad 200's can do .... and we'll be expecting a race report!:worthy:

Old School Al

OK Al. BTW Melody will be sending an apple pie home with Jeff with your name on it. Make sure it makes it way to your door step. Looking forward to this weekend. Will miss you and Lee though. Take care.

Chuck

Ok, here's a ride report from Yogi's perspective. Last enduro of the season, we are pumped. Yogi feels a little overwhelmed with all the new bikes and he on his little "200 that could", but re-enforcements have arrived for the Black Bear. Old School Jeff traveled up from Pendleton with his Old School xr200 to join the little 200 that could and together, we took on the Black Bear. In addition, Yogi has a secret weapon this time. Thanks to ebay, (you know someone's else's garbage is your treasure, or something like that) I have an older ico pro comp enduro computer. Of course I'm not exactly sure how to work it, but we shall not let that hinder us.

Up and on the road at 5:15am we get there about 6:10 and the lot's full. Except for one little parking spot with this big guy standing in it. Too dark to see who it is, so I jump out to see if he's holding the spot, and it turns out to be Russ Henry, up to take on the Black bear, and this will be his first enduro. Sure we can have that spot. Cool, right next to the check in too. Turns out Russ and Gino are both here to tackle their first timekeeper. Oh yeah, this will be fun. Get checked in and find we are on minute 42. So we get geared up and ready to go. Weather is perfect. Who'd a thought that.

3777131#217595648-A-LB

Get all ready and on the line at 8:30. Check out who's behind and in front of us. One minute to go, I hit the go button on the pro comp and it jumps to life counting down one minute to start. The secret weapon is activated. So we get ready for out big start, Yogi on his xr, Jeff and his and our other friend William the Conqueror on his wr250. Yogi notices someone off the the right taking pics of folks as they start. We start. Yogi wheelies for the photogapher, manages not to crash too. Risky beginning.

I am stoked. I end up just flying through the first few miles. Jeff falls behind for a bit, as the tighter, twistier trails this side of the cascades take after a bit of adjustment, but he's back on my tail pushing me in no time at all. I would let him pass, but I've got the secret weapon and we decide to stay together and trust it's superior wisdom. First check in about 4 miles. We zero it. Cool, this thing can be trusted. Trails start getting a little tougher and faster, but the little xr's can handle it. We start getting a little cocky now. We allow our selves to run at 30 seconds down and the trails take a turn to nasty. We are in first and second gear and need to a good speed, we start falling a bit behind. Oh no, second check, and it's a tie breaker. I'm late by .03 seconds. One point due to .03 seconds. Rats, I think Yogi was getting too cocky. We decide to try and use the secret weapon to stay on 10 seconds down. Works pretty good, for we zero the third check.

However, now its time to see what the bikes can do, for the speed average just kicked up to 22mph and we know we are going into trails that at most will allow 12-15 mph. Test section. We fly. This is what the little xr's do best, grunt their way thru the tight stuff. Over the next 5 miles we are in the groove and feeling it. The pro comp tells we are continually losing time for we are down about 6 minutes, but we are passing folks, six in all. Nobody is keeping up on this section, the trick is to lose less than the next guy. We hit the check at 8:51. Nine minutes late. So we hit the afterburners and fly, serious time to make up now. We've got three miles until the next possible. Get about a mile and I look down at the secret weapon and it says I'm 5 minutes early. Dude, must have been a reset I forgot about. Pull over and have a snickers bar and a big gulp of H2O.

Wait till the Pro comp says I'm only a minute and a half early and I start out again. I'm on a dirt road so I take it slow and seem to be staying early. Look at the roll chart and it calls for only 10mph. Think maybe I should stop again and then I look ahead and there's a check about 150 yards up on this road. Oh Crimminy, can't stop they see me. Those dirty nasty dogs who set this up. Doggone that Dean, it's his fault. I have 150 yards to use up a minute and a half. If I stop they clock me. The speed is only 10mph. How am I gonna burn a minute and a half in 150 yards at 10mph? I decide to hold my feet up so they can see I'm not touching and go slow, real slowwww. Its working. The time is dropping. But will it drop fast enough? Legs start cramping so I decide to get on my knees on the seat. Maybe I can get the check crew to start laughing and feel sorry for me. But the time is dropping. 50 yards to go and I'm still 30 seconds ahead. I make it, 10 yards to go and I'm now late 10 seconds. I zero the check. The secret weapon is working.

After another 10 miles we come to the gas stop and we get a 15 minute free time. A KTM trailer is there with free water and cookies. I ask if they will allow honda xr riders to have cookies and they give me a resounding yes. Of course, they also hand out KTM brochures but I manage to put them away before the "little 200 that could" sees them. I cannot afford a pouty machine at this point.

Ok the pro comp says it's time to leave now and off we go. We are expecting a check up ahead so we maintain a slow speed average called for. We also know that another high speed section is coming up so we expect a check prior to that. 3 miles later, no check and we enter the high speed section. Rats, if we had only known, we would not have gone so slow, nor spent the entire 15 minutes at the KTM rest area. Double crimminy. Little did I know that things were about to take an ominous turn. I'm flying again on the xr, but by now without the same enthusiasm. It's starting to become work. Rats I miss a turn and fly off the trail. Spend about 30 seconds tugging the front wheel back on the trail and go to put the bike in first and nothing. Nothing there. I look down and my shift lever has broken clean off. Uh ohh, the secret weapon can't help this. Fortunately the xr is in second gear and I can still start off. The trails are really nasty now. We are literally bouncing off alder trees like a pin ball. What was that? I think I just past a bloody arm hanging on one of the trees. Yep that's what it was, fake though. Someone's got a great sense of humor. The xr is working now. I'm having to use the clutch a lot as if it were a two stroke. Some of these trails need first and I can't give it first. I just hoping that we don't open up into too many sections ahead that need third and above.

Now the pro comp is telling me I'm losing time. Pretty much don't care at this point. I'm in survival mode, with about 20 miles to go. It's tough to ride with only one gear. I'm going along now and concentrating very hard on the trail and out of nowhere I hear this "YAHOOOOOO". I immediately think of Mario when my kids used to play the video game 15 years ago and this little Italian character is going around yelling Yahooooo. I look back and see this Suzuki rider wanting by with just the biggest smile on his face. Well I immediately name him Mario and let him by. Two more checks and each I'm late by 5-6 minutes. Things could be worse though, the trails are staying tight and I'm appreciating that for it allows me to stay close to time. Another reset and I'm back on time. I pass a couple of riders on the side killing some time and as I pass one pumps his arm and the air and yells "Yahoooo". Ah Mario is sure enjoying himself. Faster speed now and I start losing time again. Next check I hit at 8:54, 12 minutes down and another 12 points. We are getting to the end now and they dump us on a main trail. Speed average drops because of the recreational riders that we can bump into. I manage to wind the little bike out in second and make up my lost time. I'm back to 10 seconds down and able to maintain that. Hit the last check at 8:42 and zero it. Life if good, and the blooming enduro is over. I made it. The secret weapon saved many points today, I think.

Got back to the staging area and pretty soon Russ and Gino show up very tired and very happy. Bill is there too on the wr250. It was a good ride, but a hot shower seems too much the pull and they head out. BIll, Jeff and I we wait for short course results. Meanwhile we change and go over to watch the long course guys and gals come in. They are coming in much too energetic and spry for having done 40 more miles than I was able to accomplish. I'm starting to feel old. I watch Shotgun Scott arrive and the first words out of his mouth is "Great Course". He hands in his route sheet and flips that little yz250 around and he's gone. He's close to my age. Now I really feel low. Oh well. Head back to the picnic area and the results for the short course are in. I got 41 points and placed second in class. David won again as usual. Old School Jeff place 3rd. Cool, our little xr's took second and third. (9th and 10th overall). All of a sudden I'm not feeling so bad. The secret weapon did it's job. Now we have to wait till April for the next one. I hope Old School Jeff returns for that one.

217595648-M.jpg

217588114-M.jpg

Yogi,

Great race report and good job!:worthy: Not bad for XR200R's! Was watching the clock and wondering how it was going yesterday. How many in your class, and how many overall did you run against? Also what class were you running this time? I want to thank Melody for the pie .... really nice of her. I'll be checking for any missing slices when it arrives!

Old School Al

Yogi,

Great race report and good job!:worthy: Not bad for XR200R's! Was watching the clock and wondering how it was going yesterday. How many in your class, and how many overall did you run against? Also what class were you running this time? I want to thank Melody for the pie .... really nice of her. I'll be checking for any missing slices when it arrives!

Old School Al

We had about 16 in our class. Probably about 70-80 riders overall for the short course. We stayed in the senior c, which turned out to be the most competitive class that day. Jeff just left, so your pie is on it's way. Lee got one too. I posted this in the NW forum too. A lot of other reports coming in there as well.

Take care.

Starting the new year off with a race ......... the Hangover Scrambles at Washougal Washington on New Years Day!:banghead: Who else is going...........? Hope I get get home from bringing in the new year before Old School Jeff leaves for the race..... could be a long day!:busted: I'll see if I can get Old Jeff to give race details. Busy in the shop today getting the XR200R ready to race.........kind of left it to the last minute.

Old School Al

:busted: Wow! What a race, it was an Epic adventure. I have never raced with so many guys on a course at once,(raced 250am with 3 classes totaling 263!!! and 75 in my class) :D

For some reason everything was just clicking for me and the little XR200r. I got a great start and just missed the huge bottleneck, it seemed like small windows of passing opportunities would magically open up. I'll bet I never had to wait more than 10 seconds at any of the ruts, hills or mudlakes. Had a few close calls and got knocked down once, but was able to quickly get going. Some of the deep squishy goo would nearly stop the 200 and several times I pulled off some acrobatic flying W's....not pretty. I managed to get in 5 laps and it seemed like I lapped 3/4 of the group...needless to say unlimited passing opportunities the entire race! It was definately a wild free-for-all and I felt very lucky to place 4th. Hats off to you fellow racers, no one was racing "dirty" and most were nice enough to let me by with a little Yo! Heck even the fast guys who passed me were gentlemen.

A giant Thank You to JCTR, you people pulled off the impossible...1st class all the way! I also want to commend Joe McLaughlin for help with pre-reg,GREAT service! Thanks to Old School Al for being the crew chief and working late to get the Old-School Racer ready to rock! :banghead:

SeeYa at the races,

Jeff

Starting the new year off with a race ......... the Hangover Scrambles at Washougal Washington on New Years Day!:banghead: Who else is going...........? Hope I get get home from bringing in the new year before Old School Jeff leaves for the race..... could be a long day!:D I'll see if I can get Old Jeff to give race details. Busy in the shop today getting the XR200R ready to race.........kind of left it to the last minute.

Old School Al

:D Wow! What a race, it was an Epic adventure. I have never raced with so many guys on a course at once,(raced 250am with 3 classes totaling 263!!! and 75 in my class) :D

For some reason everything was just clicking for me and the little XR200r. I got a great start and just missed the huge bottleneck, it seemed like small windows of passing opportunities would magically open up. I'll bet I never had to wait more than 10 seconds at any of the ruts, hills or mudlakes. Had a few close calls and got knocked down once, but was able to quickly get going. Some of the deep squishy goo would nearly stop the 200 and several times I pulled off some acrobatic flying W's....not pretty. I managed to get in 5 laps and it seemed like I lapped 3/4 of the group...needless to say unlimited passing opportunities the entire race! It was definately a wild free-for-all and I felt very lucky to place 4th. Hats off to you fellow racers, no one was racing "dirty" and most were nice enough to let me by with a little Yo! Heck even the fast guys who passed me were gentlemen.

A giant Thank You to JCTR, you people pulled off the impossible...1st class all the way! I also want to commend Joe McLaughlin for help with pre-reg,GREAT service! Thanks to Old School Al for being the crew chief and working late to get the Old-School Racer ready to rock! :busted:

SeeYa at the races,

Jeff

I think you two are going to get me into one of those yet. Actually, Jeff I would have done this one if it weren't for having to be in Visalia (Southern Middle Cailifornia) for my uncles funeral. Congratulations for a nice finish. I'm sure it was all the XR and it's head wrench and nothing to do with the rider. I think when we finally do one of these together, I'm just going to latch onto your rear wheel and just see if I can keep up. You guys are pretty cool (for old farts)

Hi, I just read your post in the cRX300 thread, its cool you raced the same race.

Where did you get overall Old School Jeff ?

Do you think I should try to fit my 250R into my spare 99 YZ 250 frame.

Our mechanic is very talented and is keen to try it..

Jeff (the kiwi one)

Kiwi Jeff

I got 4th place in the 250 class, the club didn't post overall positions of the 263 riders on the course. The XR250 motor in the YZ frame would be a unique project and would teach you alot about dialing in a motor/chassis combo for the type of riding you do. Although your lap times may or may not drop, you'll have a huge grin on your face riding something you personally created. It's all about keeping the sport FUN!!!

USA Jeff

My friend had a XR250 in CR250 steel frame. It was probably my favorite big bike I've ridden. Although, I don't ride too many big bikes. Mainly CRF250r's. The one thing to watch out for is the kick starter. On his bike, it only went about half way and hit the foot peg. So starting it was a little finicky until you got the rhythm down. We ended up selling it for only $1500. But the guy paid me $500 to drive it up to the bay area. So I got a road trip out of it and we rode a couple tracks up there.

I have two XR's that I rescued from my son. I gave these bikes to him because I wasn't riding them and he said he could use them. He basically left them out side uncovered (ouch) One is a '85 XR 200R and the other is a '84 XR 350R. The 200R was needing several small things like fork seals seat cover, tires, chain etc. Getting this mini-restoration completed was fun and I was looking foward to having fun with this bike that has been in the family for 20 years. Then, I hopped on the bike and bounced the rear shock...... No dampining. Bounce, bounce... (boing, boing). I tried making some gross adjustments but no improvements. "It's dead Jim" I looked in my new manual for any suggestions and found the warning that says basically Dont attempt to disassemble the shock unit, hose or reservoir, if you need to replace the spring, fine. It also says that the air/nitrogen and ATF can be replaced but does not get into what the procedure is.

So, does anybody know anthing about servicing this shock? How about some replacement that is within the budget afforded by a 23 year old bike (replacing a shock that cost 500 bucks on a bike that maybe is worth a little more than that is well not going to get r done in the smart dept.)

PS, The bike cleaned up nicely, looks good, motor seems to run ok on the kickstand and should be good to go for another 1/4 century.

I have two XR's that I rescued from my son. I gave these bikes to him because I wasn't riding them and he said he could use them. He basically left them out side uncovered (ouch) One is a '85 XR 200R and the other is a '84 XR 350R. The 200R was needing several small things like fork seals seat cover, tires, chain etc. Getting this mini-restoration completed was fun and I was looking foward to having fun with this bike that has been in the family for 20 years. Then, I hopped on the bike and bounced the rear shock...... No dampining. Bounce, bounce... (boing, boing). I tried making some gross adjustments but no improvements. "It's dead Jim" I looked in my new manual for any suggestions and found the warning that says basically Dont attempt to disassemble the shock unit, hose or reservoir, if you need to replace the spring, fine. It also says that the air/nitrogen and ATF can be replaced but does not get into what the procedure is.

So, does anybody know anthing about servicing this shock? How about some replacement that is within the budget afforded by a 23 year old bike (replacing a shock that cost 500 bucks on a bike that maybe is worth a little more than that is well not going to get r done in the smart dept.)

PS, The bike cleaned up nicely, looks good, motor seems to run ok on the kickstand and should be good to go for another 1/4 century.

The 200 is the twin carb model. The shock is re-buildable and any suspension shop should be able to do it for under $100. They may require you to re-chrome the shaft if it is pitted or they won't guaranteed it not leaking and that may raise it by another $100. On the flip side any shock from a mid-80's xr250 or a 87-91 xr200 will also work and those can be had off ebay for $25-$50.

Hey hondachick and Yogi,

You both ready to race this weekend ............ ?

The Old School XR200R is back together after some maintenace and suspension mods. Went out to the local mx track for some testing late yesterday. Jeff hadn't been riding since the Hangover Scrambles on New Years Day. Even talked me into taking a couple laps.:bonk: The front forks are unreal for modified old tech XR forks. All I can say is WOW ....... never rode a set of old style forks that work this well for trail / med. mx! Old Jeff is going to be able to put even more hurt on the young riders on moderns now!:prof: He always wished he had another 10 or 15% out of the front ............ now he has it!

Old School Al

Hey hondachick and Yogi,

You both ready to race this weekend ............ ?

The Old School XR200R is back together after some maintenace and suspension mods. Went out to the local mx track for some testing late yesterday. Jeff hadn't been riding since the Hangover Scrambles on New Years Day. Even talked me into taking a couple laps.:bonk: The front forks are unreal for modified old tech XR forks. All I can say is WOW ....... never rode a set of old style forks that work this well for trail / med. mx! Old Jeff is going to be able to put even more hurt on the young riders on moderns now!:prof: He always wished he had another 10 or 15% out of the front ............ now he has it!

Old School Al

I'm still sick Al. This is really a nasty cold going around. I will ride, but placing high may be out of the question. Finishing may be the goal now.

Nice to hear the forks are working better, and nice to hear you took it for a spin. The forks, are they better because that guy was able to make shim stacks for the top of the emulators, or was there another reason?

Chuck

Chuck, the forks are amazing considering the small changes we did(adding the shim stack and switching from 10wt. to 20wt. fork oil). I had 4 1/4 turns preload on the emulator, and now I'm at 7-8 turns. The forks feel like they have 25%-50% more bottoming resistance. The shim stack opens on the small fork movements keeping it supple. We're calling them Shimulators now.

I can now land nose down on jumps/dips and not bottom. It's nice not having to constantly be pulling up on the bars to favor the soft forks, I'd say they match the rear shock now. The 20wt. oil seems to calm down the front wheel and allow more speed in the whoops. I also dropped one tooth on the rear sprocket (49) so it pulls a little longer in each gear plus gives me a tiny bit more corner speed.

These mods wouldn't apply to Tahuya but are perfect for a faster Harescrambles or Vintage Motocross, I can't wait to "old school" a few unsuspecting 450f riders to just what this little "girls bike" is capable of !!! :prof:

Sorry to hear your still feeling sick, Good Luck on the race tommorow, I'll be thinking of both you and HondaChick.

Jeff