Sign in to follow this  

Technical riding w/2strokes

I was watching the Last Man Standing race and was suprised to see so many 2strokes! That was super technical riding and I would've thought they would want an engine with a lot of low end torque. Also, I've heard that 2strokes are prevalent in GNCC. What makes 2strokes so well suited for this type of riding?...Is it just power to weight, or the type of power the engine makes? I keep reading that 4strokes are supposed to be much better in these conditions :thumbsup: ....What's the deal! :thumbsup:

Paul

01' CR 250, Gnarly/Turbine Core pipe, Hinson clutch, Re-worked suspension, Clark tank....

they dont over heat when you're riding at walking speeds..thumpers do, and i guess the extra weight of the 4-stroke over tech stuff is tricky..

I would guess the lower center of gravity is also benficial. Even though they are building the four strokes to almost as light as the two strokes, they still dont carry the weight as low. I didnt realize the four strokes overheat so easy, that would be horrible in the tight nasty stuff.

The only place i see where 4 strokes are more dominate is in SX. Everything else is 2 strokes.

Yeah I'm familiar with overheating. I owned a 650R and had it overheat several times on single track. It's not the best feeling when your buddy riding behind you says that you've been blowing coolant out for the last 20mins. and you have 15 mi. of single track left to the fire road!

Paul

01' CR 250

As good as the 4-strokes are, they still don't have the snappy response of, say, a perfectly jetted YZ250. That snap is really nice off-road where you have to pop the front end up on short notice. That snap combined with the low CG and light weight just make the 2-strokes more..... responsive and maneuverable for rapid speed/direction changes. The light weight and low CG also make the 2-stroke much easier to pick up when necessary.

The only place i see where 4 strokes are more dominate is in SX. Everything else is 2 strokes.

and MX..but hey..im a scrawny little punk at 135 lbs and i think my cr can hold its own against a 450 with a bigger rider!

In all honesty, for the really technical single track woods riding that I do, I couldn't see myself riding anything but a 250 smoker.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought GNCC/Hare scramble races only allow 250 cc bikes to race with other 250 cc bikes, regardless of whether it is a 4 stroke or 2 stroke. That puts the smoker at an advantage (where it belongs). I thought the 450s have to go to the unlimited class.

I could be wrong. I thought someone told me that or I read it somewhere.

Thats what I have heard to, equal dispalcement bikes race against each other. If you really think four strokes are superior, that should be a problem. :thumbsup:

The last man standing was great on tv. Speed has been showing it quite a bit. One of the better motorcycle programs.

Remember the bikes had to LAST for the entire event. There was not much time to do wor on them between the morning and evening sections. I dont see many of the 4 strokes being able to handle this sort of event.

For that kind of event, it would be hard to beat a 250 or 300 2 stroke. Imagine riding for many hours, getting in a tough spot and stalling your 4 stroke. A 2 stroke would do the whole event with minimal maintenance, be easy to control, easy to start, and not create problems.

In the hands of a really skilled rider, the power delivery and weight of a two stroke are an asset in a race like the last man standing, GNCC, etc.......

For a guy like me, however, a four stroke would be a much better choice. Smooth/linear power, better low end lugging capability and less shifting. On a two stroke, I'd suffer from chronic wheelspin and be bouncing off stuff until I conked out from exhaustion. Riding my 200exc is far more tiring than my four strokes. But the power/weight ratio is amazing and if I had the skills/stamina, I could probably go faster under race conditions on the 200.

R

i just switched from a wr250f to a cr250r and i will never go back.. i've only had one ride on it, today, but just because they cant lug as good as a four stroke.. doesnt mean that they're not good for technical stuff. i did some realy technical stuff today and had no problem with it