Question about Moab & Adobe Hills in Montrose

Can anyone tell me much about Moab. There are six of us coming out from West Virginia and Ohio during the last couple of weeks of July. We want to ride at Moab for a couple of days, then we plan to ride in the adobe hills in Montrose for a couple of days, then on to Taylor Park/ Crested Butte for about six days. This will be our third trip to the Taylor Park / Crested Butte areas, so we are very familiar with those areas.

My questions are about Moab. We would like to check out this area. It is hard to find a whole lot of information about the trails.

Is it hard to find the trails there? Are there maps? Are the trails marked? Are there many single tracks?

to ride?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I have found out if you don't ask you won't find out what you want to know. Any information that you can provide about the area would be appreciated.

We are all very good riders. Not fast but very good technical riders. Our riders range in age from 14 our youngest and best rider to 62 and our second best rider.

There are great maps available for Moab. You can do a yahoo search under Moab map, and you'll see what you need. 4x4now.com has some maps and trail commentary on their website.

A word of caution about riding in July.

It is brutally, unforgivably, wickedly, searingly, scaldingly hot. Really. It will test your patience, and younger riders may get seriously turned off because they are so uncomfortable.

However, if you insist on riding then. it can be done by starting your riding at 7 am, and being done for the day by 10-11, and finding a swimming pool. There are plenty of places that have them.

Montrose is 10-15 degrees cooler, but you won't be getting any frostbite there either.

I agree about the heat. Personally, I couldn't even think about riding there in July. Even in April it can get uncomfortably warm. I'd stay your time up high in CO and forget about Moab until you can schedule a spring/fall trip. I know....it's a bummer cause Moab is perhaps the ultimate place to ride, but it's not worth someone getting serious heat stroke or dying. If you do ride, please take twice as much water as you think you will need and end your ride early. Back in the canyons (and that's what Moab is all about) it's even hotter than out on the rocks. (Which hold in the heat and reflect them back on you.) As for singletrack, there's not much in Moab. There's sovereign singletrack which is a must do on every trip I make up, but most of the rest of the trails are Jeep trails. ? Don't let that fool you. They go from technical to complete ball busters. The green river area has more singletrack from what I've heard, but again, unbelieveably hot in July.

The trails are pretty easy to find. This should help you out:

http://www.motoutah.com/

Ride safe.

Bill

Thanks for the info guys. We would love to make two trips, one in the spring and one in the summer, but when your driving 1600 miles to ride you have to lump the trip together.

How hot do you think it will be in Moab in late July? We ride in West Virginia in the summer and it will be 90-95 with 100% humidity. Its about as uncomfortable as it gets. I sure would like to check it out Moab, but if you all think it is to hot, we will stay in the mountains. This is the only time we can find to ride. Its at the end of baseball season and then we get back and football practice starts.

Have either of you rode at Montrose? It looks like it would be fun for a day or two.

We love the Taylor Park / Crested Butte areas. It cool in the summer, we love the High Country.

I understand about the drive. Maybe you can make it out on a spring break sometime.

July is Moab's hottest month. The average temps in July are around 101, and it can be hotter. No trees, few bushes and lots and lots of rock. The real kicker is the rocks. It's like being in a freaking oven - they hold the heat and radiate it. If you've never been in the desert in the summer it will be an education. Those rocks hold heat like a .........well you get the idea. I've never ridden in Montrose though. Does it look good?

PS - Hey, I googled the adobe hills and came up with this:

http://www.westernstylemagazine.com/exposes/2004_nine.html

Looks cool! But probably hot also, and DUSTY! LOL Have fun.

July is Moab's hottest month. The average temps in July are around 101,.

110-115 deg in July and Aug in Green River, and Moab is notoriously hotter by 5-10 deg.

Too damn hot...Stay in the A/C ...If you must ride...like was said. Ride early and take way too much H2O...then dbl. it

The adobe hills in Montrose are definitely worth riding. Maybe try Hartman's rocks just south of the airport in Gunnison on your way back from Montrose. Three trips to Taylor park, you guys must love rocks...lol. I like the cabins over there. Have you ever accessed the trails up in Cement Creek in Crested Butte, block and tackle,bear,flag,star pass,pearl pass,etc...? I also agree, Moab is way hot in July, but if you must, start early and finish early.

Thanks for all the info guys. We don't mind the rocks, we ride the Hatfield & McCoy trail systems in West Virginia and they grow fine rocks. Most of ours are softball to football sized, but most are loose and tough to ride on.

We do love the high country. We have rode most everything around Crested Butte / Cement Creek / and the Taylor Park areas. The rocks on Fossil Ridge trail are pretty tough, but we ride it anyway.

The first year we came out at the end of August. Weather was great. No snow. Last year we came out the last week of July and there was some snow at the very tops of the mountains. We did not incounter any snow on the trails. Some friends tried to travel over Schofield Pass (not sure if I spelled that right) but it was snow covered. When you have a son that is in to so many sports, you have to make you schedule revolve around the next athletic event.

Since your in the general area, I would skip the Montrose adobe hills and either look at riding the San Juans out of Ouray (45 minutes south of Montrose) or if your a single track guy, try the Uncompahgre Plateau, which is west of Montrose, the adobes are just too hot in July, ditto for Moab and the Swell.

Since your in the general area, I would skip the Montrose adobe hills and either look at riding the San Juans out of Ouray (45 minutes south of Montrose) or if your a single track guy, try the Uncompahgre Plateau, which is west of Montrose, the adobes are just too hot in July, ditto for Moab and the Swell.

Seriously good advice^

Skip moab and go to Uncompaghre. Give some of us a heads up and we can meet you in town to hook up.

1. uncompaghre

2. Ouray to Lake city, etc.

3. your CB ride.

You'll love every minute of this.

Uncompahgre Plateau, how many miles of single track is there? Is there maps of the area and are the trails marked? What town would you stay in if you were to stay over night? I seem to always start each post with several questions.

We plan on being in the area on the evening of the July 19th. We will have our bikes jetted for the area, but there always seems to be some tweeking needed the first day of riding. We plan to ride in the Taylor Park/Crested Butte and Cement Creek areas from July 23/24 through the 29th. We would love to have some riding company.

We have to ride at least one day in the Adobe Hills regardless of the temps. We have two young men that can't wait to climb / jump the hills.

I sure appreciate everyone of you taking the time to send me post. This is going to help us make our plans much easier.

Six of us came out 3 years ago and fell in love with the place. We can't wait to expand out from the Taylor area. The riding there is so much different than here. You go riding for 8 hours in Colorado and you spend an hour cleaning you bike. You ride for 8 hours in West Virginia or Ohio and we spend 8 hours cleaning the nasty mud off of the bikes. The beauty that surrounds you trails are amazing.

I have worked in Moab in July, it would make a fun ride from about 3am until 10am, otherwise it is wicked, exhausting hot.

Adobes can be hot, but they are definitely unique, late afternoon until dark makes awesome rides as do the mornings.

The Plateau probably has 300+ miles of trail, not all of it comes out somewhere though. The Forest service Uncompahgre Plateau map, is probably about the best. We have had some recent travel management changes and, some existing trails are technically illegal now. You could easily stay in Montrose, or Delta and ride the Plateau.

My choice that time of the year would be to stay in Silverton go to Creede, Lake City, Ouray, and Telluride. It requires some connecting black top, but some incredible rides, best map is the Forest Service San Juan Mountain Map, and 4X4 trail guide that I can't remember the name of or who wrote it, but it is available at local book stores. Make a Winter or Spring break trip for Moab and Montrose.

In the summer go high and take your rain coat.

I picked my screen name based on where I spend most of my time. If you want to end up "human Jerky" ride Moab in July. There are a lot of other choices within an hours drive of moab that are nearly as spectacular. I personaly would head up in the La Sals. Or I would outfit everyone with lights and ride at zero-dark-thirty. I think you will be miserable there in July. People that live here know...Moab aint happening in July-August. Just like in WV...You know what people can tolerate. If misery is you thing by all means do it.

Here is what I recommend.

Rabbit Valley, Grand Junction. A solid day of riding there. You get the red rock above the river feeling, as in Moab. Not as spectacular though, but a little cooler.

Divide Forks ATV complex, Uncompaghre Plateau. A day or two of riding.

Peach Valley in Montrose. Ride Monster ditch, and all the others. Another day of riding. ( I know someone that probably wouldn't mind showing you around out there.)

Then head up to Gunni/CB. Do Texas Creek on the way back.

TJ

I live in Montrose, just got back from Moab. Right now is the time for Moab, and the high country around Montrose is still snowy. The adobes get hot in the summer months, most of us get up in the hills nearby. We do have fantastic trails within twenty miles of Montrose, good camping available, as well as drivable daily from town. Contact me if you are coming to Montrose, be glad to get you going. The local shop, Davis Service Center, is staffed with riders who would be glad to point you in a good direction as well. Shouldn't have trouble finding someone to take you on a guided tour if you like.

Is it hard to find the trails there? Are there maps? Are the trails marked? Are there many single tracks?

to ride?

popular trails are marked pretty well. many cool trails, especially northwest, are not marked at all.

i have ridden moab in june (on a 650), and i was comfortable, but i prefer warmer weather. if you are all good technical riders, you can have fun in warmer weather than riders that struggle with that kind of terrain. as long as you can keep the air flowing, it's all good as long as it's under 100-ish. i sometimes wear less protective gear when it gets real hot, so then i adjust my riding style accordingly.

if you go to moab in summer, do short loops, and start early. it's all well and good to ride in hot weather until your bike breaks on a long ride in the middle of nowhere with no water on a blistering hot day.

of course you might get lucky and have cool weather. who knows?

Here are the daytime highs for Moab in 2005, July 4 - July 28:

97, 99, 99, 99, 100, 99, 99, 100, 105, 106, 107, 107, 105, 105, 104, 105, 106, 108, 108, 108, 104, 99, 92

Ouch. Stick to the high country. Or watch the local weather forecast for a 95 degree cool spell. ?

Maybe next year come out in early June or late August, hope for cool weather, and check out Moab, Green River, Grand Junction, Montrose.