Sign in to follow this  

what to do

I am going to buy a DR-Z400S. I was just wondering, what are some of the things I can do to it to make it more street worthy and more confortable? I need to be able to make a 1000 mile trip on this, once a year. The rest of the street comuting will be no more then 20 miles round trip. I was thinking of getting a new seat for sure, are the suzuki gel ones any good? If there is a better one out there let me know. Also, I may get the hand guards, not to sure about them though. A rack in the rear will also be a must that way I can through a small bag back there. I will also be getting a bigger gas tank, any ideas? The ride doesnt have to be extremely cozy, just liveable. Anything else you can think of just chim in. I was looking at the KLR650 and the XL650R, but there is something about the DRZ that I like more, so that is why I chose this one. Thanks in advanced.

It sounds to me like you are a prime candidate for a SM, even though I could never picture myself riding 1000 miles on it in one trip.

Screaming.....Monkey.....Butt.

It sounds to me like you are a prime candidate for a SM, even though I could never picture myself riding 1000 miles on it in one trip.

I wont be riding strait through. I will be stopping somewhere around the 500 mile mark and staying for a day or 2 then push on the rest of the way. I usually ride my dirt bike for 8-10 hours in one day, so I think it would be do-able.

what are some of the advantages/down falls of the SM over the regular S? Just did a little research and found that the SM is more street capable then the S. I want a bike that is 50/50 capable.

I need to be able to make a 1000 mile trip on this, once a year. The rest of the street comuting will be no more then 20 miles round trip.
Sounds like you want a street bike, not a street legal dirt bike.

the gel seat has done me fine. I ride for hours on it and never seem to get monkey but. However, if the bike sits in the sun.... that gel gets HOT!!!.

I like my gel seat. Lower seat height, rounded edges. But I have never done 500 or 1000 miles on it. The SM has a few advantages. Like the USD forks and 17's for the street. But you are gunna need a set of wheels for off-road.

For 1000 miles once a year I think (because of comments on here) I would look into a Corbin for that trip. The rest of the year the stock seat or the gel would do you fine.

I have done a lot of long distance riding on my S with stock seat but higher bars and clarke tank. I stand a lot for comfort and the s is so stable at highway speeds that you can stretch and move around. The beauty of the s is it can do that and maintain that speed down a gravel road and over rises which carry the front wheel for meters at a time. The bike is very tuneable to its element. I think that with the gearing and carb and airbox on an s with the correct tires for your element it is an adventure tourer for backroads par-excellence. Even with full knobbies going from trail to trail it is a blast to hit pavement and shake some mud off it :thumbsup:!

Go buy the August / September back issues of Roadbike Magazine. They did a complete write up on the best mods to convert the DRZ to an adventure tourer. Very good articles. They were not to keen on the Gel Seat. There are other seats out there...do a search...many threads to read on this subject.

I'm getting there a little at a time....just got my Moose Flex bars with the risers. Hopefully get them on today. Also bought a low KLR wind screen after reading a write up on Advrider.com in the Thumper forum on DRZ's. I will buy an extra headlight shroud and convert back and forth between trail and street. :thumbsup: All I hear from the wife is "You got another box today." I usually comment-"Don't worry about it." Then I get THE LOOK. :thumbsup:

Next up by next spring....:confused:

I am going to buy a DR-Z400S. I was just wondering, what are some of the things I can do to it to make it more street worthy and more confortable? I need to be able to make a 1000 mile trip on this, once a year. The rest of the street comuting will be no more then 20 miles round trip. I was thinking of getting a new seat for sure, are the suzuki gel ones any good? If there is a better one out there let me know. Also, I may get the hand guards, not to sure about them though. A rack in the rear will also be a must that way I can through a small bag back there. I will also be getting a bigger gas tank, any ideas? The ride doesnt have to be extremely cozy, just liveable. Anything else you can think of just chim in. I was looking at the KLR650 and the XL650R, but there is something about the DRZ that I like more, so that is why I chose this one. Thanks in advanced.

You have to do something about the stock seat for the 1000 miler, Suzuki gel is crap IMHO, had one sent it back. I used memory foam a little wider than stock and it's good, cost me 175 Canadian. People like the IMS tank, I carry a jerry. I have stock Suz rack,like it, good for heavy loads. Why get a DRZ over a KLR or XR, better off-road and with a few mods(prep) just as good on the street IMHO. My jetted, Q-piped 03'436S will spank a new DR 650 in a drag :thumbsup: Way better off-road motor. My plates are cheaper too, 250 compared to 860. :thumbsup: vanram

Why get a DRZ over a KLR or XR, better off-road and with a few mods(prep) just as good on the street IMHO.

Exactly why I want the DRZ over the KLR or XR. I read that the KLR is mediocre off road and the XR just weighs to much for what I want.

Sounds like the DRZ is exactly what you want. 500 mile days are doable, especially only a few times a year. The IMS 4 gallon tank is IMO a great design, but has had quality control problems (mine cracked). In hindsight, I'd have gotten a clarke with some radiator guards. Go get the bike and have fun!