how to go street leagal in WA

wondering what it takes to go street legal in WA, anyone know? thanks-alrod
Buy a Husky!
Or a KTM... ?

It has been reported that in 2007 all full sized KTM's (not SX) will be dualsport.

As for non-DOT Jap bikes, all the new ones ('04, '05) I've seen with plates (CRFs, WRFs) have been plated out of state and then brought in to WA.

I hear Idaho is cheap and easy :confused::bonk::bonk:?

im riding a 84' xr500, i have a title so i was hoping i would be able to register it, maybe not, I was wondering about like how to get it inspected and if i would need mirrors or a horn or what lights exactly. thanks-alrod

Making it street legal is the easy part, its getting the state to acknowledge it as a G/CYC in the "use class" on your title thats tough. But not impossible. Some will say "buy a KTM, or a Husky" and that does work well. But you "can" do it with all off road bikes, just need to know the "angles". ANd its not as easy as buying the euro bikes. My last WR426F was road plated, and my 04 WR450F I bought new is also road plated and yes, I live in WA! ?

Making it street legal is the easy part, its getting the state to acknowledge it as a G/CYC in the "use class" on your title thats tough. But not impossible. Some will say "buy a KTM, or a Husky" and that does work well. But you "can" do it with all off road bikes, just need to know the "angles". ANd its not as easy as buying the euro bikes. My last WR426F was road plated, and my 04 WR450F I bought new is also road plated and yes, I live in WA! ?

I am thinking about buying wr450 and converting to supermoto bike that is street legal. How is your WR when it comes to highway riding? thanks.

I am thinking about buying wr450 and converting to supermoto bike that is street legal. How is your WR when it comes to highway riding? thanks.
I would be the worst person to ask that question. Though, my bike is plated, it has those MSR flip up mirros, high beam, stop lamp, thats it. I dont use it for street, just connectring trails and zipping down some forest service road. Naches is an area where a plated bike is real handy. There is other things to consider if you use it mainly for pavement. The "cush" drive, ie a rear hub with rubber insulators for the sprocket. I guess an off road bike used on the road tears up the gearbox over time because of the inability to insulate shock from pavement. My twin brother had (way back) a 1973 (maybe a 71) Ossa Steletto 250 and it has a cush drive built into the gear box. I know the bikes today dont.

Once you have the lights (headlight with high/low beam) tail light with brake light, turn signals, DOT tires, place to mount the license plate and a proper muffler - take it down to the State Patrol for an inspection. They are the controlling factor to get your title changed. You could talk to them first and get everything they want to see before investing your time and money. It's not impossible, I've seen people do it before.

yep, a lot better. As i know it, state patrol will not inspect youre bike. Know a state trooper? Ask him to do it. I believe Vermont is still allowing out of staters to register there. Sell it and buy a plated one from OR, WA, ID. Try the local supermarket DMV places. Try bribing them or confusing them. "they screwed up the title, its not an XR its an XL" They get messed up titles all the time on RV's, bikes, boats.

My title conveniently says XR650LY (not sure what the Y means) instead of XR650R so it looks like someone just ran it from the very beginning as an L so the DOL never even questioned most likely. I bought it used so I'm the lucky recipient of there "hard work."

Good luck.

What do you mean pay the penalty? Did you just take it to OR, get it licensed there without selling it to a res or being one your self. Then again here in WA? I just bought one of those non plated Beta's from RMC. Joe made me a deal I could not refuse. I love the bike, but they did not sell it to me plated and I have yet to receive the title to see how it reads. But I am going to need it plated. Thanks.

By "$100 penalty" I mean pay the Oregon registration. They have no sales tax. I registered it to a relative in OR, got it inspected and plated ($100), then transferred the title back to myself in WA. Then you have to pay Washington State sales tax and registration, around 10% of the total NADA value of the bike.

OK, Thats whats I thought. I have family living in springfield and that was going to be my last resort plan. As I said. I just bought the darn thing and paid 700$ in WA taxes already. I would hate to pay that again. ? So, I will try doing it here once I get the title.

By "$100 penalty" I mean pay the Oregon registration. They have no sales tax. I registered it to a relative in OR, got it inspected and plated ($100), then transferred the title back to myself in WA. Then you have to pay Washington State sales tax and registration, around 10% of the total NADA value of the bike.

How does it work? When you register it in OR and convert to street legal, do they change the title to something that WA will recognize as street legal when you bring it back here? I moved to WA and I have DRZ400E with OR title. If I walk into a DOL agency in WA and ask to transfer the title to WA, tell them it's street legal, and ask for plates, will they balk? Do I need to have a different street legal title issued in OR first?