SPOILER!!! Discuss Detroit SX Results here

Well boys and girls what did you think of the race?

Here's the summary from sxgp.com.

DETROIT (March 25, 2006) – Kawasaki’s James Stewart, of Haines City, Fla., won his second consecutive Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP/Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series race before 40,101 fans at the inaugural race at Ford Field. Honda’s Josh Grant, of Riverside, Calif., won the AMA Supercross Lites main event.

Stewart, who trails the Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series points leader Ricky Carmichael (Suzuki) by 20 points, grabbed the lead from the $1,500 Progressive Direction Holeshot Award winner Nick Wey two turns into the race.

Behind Stewart four-time AMA Supercross champion Carmichael, of Tallahassee, Fla., and former World Supercross GP/AMA Supercross champion Chad Reed, of Dade City, Fla., battled throughout the early laps.

“I got out and ran a good pace, saw those guys coming – congrats to Ricky and Chad,” said Stewart. “I got my pace on the first lap and really didn’t change anything after that.”

Reed slammed the door on Carmichael in the same spot of the first pass and shot out to a two-second lead. Carmichael bounced back and passed Reed for the second-place finish.

“That was definitely a race for the fans,” said Carmichael. “I felt like we had the speed to win, but got caught up at the start. That’s the way it goes.”

As for the title chase, Carmichael holds a touchy 10-point lead over Reed. “I’m not settling in, the points are too close,” said Carmichael. “James (Stewart) is obviously riding really well.”

Reed struggled through the main event and salvaged his points.

“I’m not going to give up,” said Reed. “It takes me a few laps to get going, but I’ve decided I’m going for it. No excuses. I chose to do this and I’m happy to be on the podium again.”

In the AMA Supercross Lites class, Grant got out to a solid start behind Progressive Direction Holeshot Award winner Teddy Maier (Kawasaki) and Bobby Kiniry (Honda). Grant grabbed the lead midway though the first lap and eventually built a seven-second lead on second place rider Davi Millsaps (Honda) – the AMA Lites’ Easter Region points leader.

“Feels great. A win’s a win,” said Grant. “I’d struggled in the whoops earlier in the day, so once I figured that out, I was good.”

Cruising to second place, Millsaps now carries a 22-point lead over Grant into the finals Easter Region championship next weekend in Houston.

“Josh set a fast pace, didn’t want to lose it there,” said Millsaps.

Rounding out the AMA Supercross Lites podium in somewhat spectacular fashion was Chris Gosselaar (Kawasaki). The Californian was tied with Grant heading into Detroit (94-94), and had pretty much settled on fourth place when Kiniry went down in the whoops just before the final turn – dashing his hopes for a first-ever podium finish.

Tonight’s race will air on SPEED on Sunday, March 26, at 6:00 p.m. EST. A separate one-hour broadcast of the AMA Supercross Lites racing will air on SPEED on Sunday, April 2, at 5 p.m. EST.

Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP Season Standings

1. Ricky Carmichael, Havana, Fla., Suzuki, 286

2. James Stewart, Tallahassee, Fla., Kawasaki, 283

3. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Yamaha, 267

4. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 227

5. Nicholas Wey, Dewitt, Mich., Honda, 215

6. Michael Byrne, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 209

7. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio,, Honda, 151

8. Jason Thomas, Melrose, Fla., Honda, 147

9. Ryan Clark, Waddell, Ariz., Honda, 134

10. Tyler Evans, Corona, Calif., Suzuki, 116

Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series Event Results, Detroit

1. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Kawasaki

2. Ricky Carmichael, Havana, Fla., Suzuki

3. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Yamaha

4. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki

5. Nicholas Wey, Dewitt, Mich., Honda

6. Michael Byrne, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki

7. Ryan Clark, Waddell, Ariz.

8. Billy Laninovich, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda

9. Tim Ferry, Largo, Fla., Honda

10. Jason Thomas, Melrose, Fla., Honda

Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series Season Standings

1. Ricky Carmichael, Tallahassee, Fla., Suzuki, 259

2. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Yamaha, 249

3. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Kawasaki, 239

4. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 194

5. Nicholas Wey, Dewitt, Mich., Honda, 185

6. Michael Byrne, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 181

7. Travis Preston, Hesperia, Calif., Honda, 146

8. Ernesto Fonseca, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 125

9. Mike LaRocco, Corona, Calif., Honda, 108

10. Tim Ferry, Dade City, Fla., Honda, 96

Amp’d Mobile Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Event Results, Detroit

1. Joshua Grant, Riverside, Calif., Honda

2. Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., Honda

3. Christopher Gosselaar, Victorville, Calif., Kawasaki

4. Thomas Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda

5. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Much., Honda

6. Robert Kiniry, Lafayette, N.Y., Honda

7. Josh Woods, Flint, Honda

8. Josh Summey, Stanley, N.C., Honda

9. Jay Marmont, Murietta, Calif., KTM

10. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Yamaha

Amp’d Mobile Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Season Standings

1. Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., Honda, 141

2. Joshua Grant, Riverside, Calif., Honda, 119

3. Chris Gosselaar, Victorville, Calif., Kawasaki, 114

4. Jesseman, New Brighton, Pa., Yamaha, 96

5. Thomas Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 80

6. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., Honda, 67

7. Robert Kiniry, Lafayette, N.Y., Honda, 66

8. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Honda, 59

9. Teddy Maier, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Kawasaki, 48

10. Michael Blose, Phoenix, Ariz., Honda, 45

Amp’d Mobile Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Season Standings

1. Andrew Short, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 118

2. Grant Langston, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 116

3. Nathan Ramsey, Menifee, Calif., KTM, 107

4. Billy Laninovich, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda, 99

5. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM, 95

6. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 94

7. Brett Metcalfe, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 91

8. Paul Carpenter, Ithaca, N.Y., Honda, 78

9. Darcy Lange, San Jacinto, Calif., Kawasaki, 55

10. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Honda, 52

Who even went? We skipped it this year because:

1. Rumor was no pit passes.

2. Local bike shops couldn't sell tickets, they had to be purchased through RIP-OFF TicketMaster. and

3. What if you overlooked the first two and went anyway and ended up watching the PUNK Stewart win? RC only needs second for the rest of the season to wrap up another well deserved Championship and he can ride safe and get that.

According to the TWMX site the Detroit SX was "sparsely attended". Looks like other people voted with their dollars also.

Great night of racing, but I missed one thing. Did anybody SEE what happened with Wey and Bryne??? It was in the main, I think at the end. I left ASAP after the finish and heard on the speakers some crazy talk about some people holding back some riders, like there was, or was going to be a fight. Sounded like Wey tried(or did) nuke Byrne. Anybody got some info on that?

The RC and Reed battle was great, most excitement of the night although the Evans vs ? battle had a more spectacular outcome. lol.

Looks like about 40,000 people attended... not bad.
1. Promoter supplied numbers are always suspect, especially when it bombs.

2. The place holds 55,000+

3. When it was at the Silverdome 60,000-65,000 was the norm.

It was a great night of racing, lots of action. been to silverdome,and now ford field. no matter what the conditions were, no pit party,assigned seats, or whatever. it was still a great night. hats off to all that make it possible. just remember some states dont even get a sx venue.

just remember some states dont even get a sx venue.

THANK YOU!!!!! I had to fly down to Orlando to see an SX (my parents live there). Detroit or Atlanta would be next closest to us SX fans in N. Virginia. The SX fans in S. Cal have it made.

If the place holds 55000+ then I would say there was maybe 30000 people there . I though the new stadium was awesome for supercross. I know the tickets are more money and they didnt have the pits this year but it was still a great event . Lets face it if people dont show up for the supercross at Ford Field it will be gone . I have seen alot of stadiums come and go and I would think if they have it back here next year and the turn out of people is not better they will be looking to go somewere else . Atlanta had 70000+ this year and could probably support two supercrosses . I only hope if Ford Field has a supercross next year more people support it .It would suck to have to drive out of state to see a supercross .

Great night of racing, but I missed one thing. Did anybody SEE what happened with Wey and Bryne???
They had a battle going for 5th. On the last lap they tangled in a corner and both went down (not sure who's "fault" it was). Nick got his bike started and finished his lap. As Nick was returning to the starting area, he passed Byrne (who had just re-started his bike) and swept Byrne's front tire out from under him. (I was looking somewhere else at the time, but my friend saw it). When Byrne got going, he rode to the start area where Wey was stopped and poked Nick's rear tire. They had some words. Wey apologized when accepting his Holeshot check - his night had not really gone well and he was kinda wound-up emotionally.

If the place holds 55000+ then I would say there was maybe 30000 people there . I though the new stadium was awesome for supercross. I know the tickets are more money and they didnt have the pits this year but it was still a great event . Lets face it if people dont show up for the supercross at Ford Field it will be gone . I have seen alot of stadiums come and go and I would think if they have it back here next year and the turn out of people is not better they will be looking to go somewere else . Atlanta had 70000+ this year and could probably support two supercrosses . I only hope if Ford Field has a supercross next year more people support it .It would suck to have to drive out of state to see a supercross .

the price certainly is affordable, than having to go out of state to see a great night of racing!!!!

..and ended up watching the PUNK Stewart win?
I'm not a rabid Stewart fan, but did anyone else see him quad that section (single out of a corner, tabletop, single) after the jump-rhythm section?! He was the only guy that did that. And turning the low-rollers down the starting straight into a double was sweet!
According to the TWMX site the Detroit SX was "sparsely attended". Looks like other people voted with their dollars also.
? I hope next year the prices will be more palatable and the pits will be open.

TOTP! ?

Minus the lack of access in the pits, I actually enjoyed everything MORE than I did at the Silverdome. Yes, prices are up a bit, but nothing ever stays the same. To "ban" it and not go is kinda goofy to me. The only person I'd be hurting would be myself by missing out on a pretty good time (TV just can't capture the sounds/excitement of being there in person).

First off, thanks for using "Spoiler" and not alluding to results in your thread title!

That was a fun race. Upholds my inflammatory point that if JS stays up, RC loses ? There was a lot going on: Wey, Tyler Evans, RC jumps off the track then right back on, Kdub goes off and leaps over blocks to get back in and trails a tuf block cover around for several laps, JS almost washed the front out again, Reed goes down in the whoops.... all kinds of intrigue!

?

First off, thanks for using "Spoiler" and not alluding to results in your thread title!

That was a fun race. Upholds my inflammatory point that if JS stays up, RC loses ? There was a lot going one: Wey, Tyler Evans, RC jumps off the track then right back on, Kdub goes off and leaps over blocks to get back in and trails a tuf block cover around for several laps, JS almost washed the front out again, Reed goes down in the whoops.... all kinds of intrigue!

?

You're right gunslinger. JS is untouchable when he stays up. I don't see anyone beating that speed for a long time.