Xr400 Oil Eater

DEAR JIM

I WONDER IF U CAN FIX IT FOR ME FOR SOMEONE TO GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ON MY XR400 2001 ? ?

I HAVE HAD THE BIKE FROM NEW AND ITS BEEN THE DOGS GENITALS THROUGH THICK AND THIN ! NOT KNOWING MUCH ABOUT MECHANICS MYSELF AN HAVING NO GOOD SHOPS LOCAL .I HAVE THROWN CAUTION TO THE WIND AND DECIDED TO ASK THE ADVICE OF FELLOW XR OWNERS ETC WITH MY FIRST MAJOR PROBLEM WITH MY RED ROCKET .

ITS LIKE THIS I HAVE RIDDEN IT HARD OVER THE TIME I HAVE OWNED IT BUT I HAVE LOOKED AFTER IT AND CHANGED OIL EVERY THREE RIDES,CHECKED VALVE CLERANCES ETC,ETC ITS BEEN WELL MAINTAINED.

I HAVE HOWEVER NOTICED IT USES A LITTLE OIL EVERY TIME I GO OUT THIS LITTLE BIT OF OIL HAS GROWN AN GROWN UNTIL I RODE IT TODAY AN AFTER 2 1/2 HOURS IT HAD EATEN 500ML OF OIL .

PLEASE JIM CAN U FIX IT FOR ME OR AT LEAST TELL ME THE PROBLEM AN IS MY BIKE GONNA COST A FORTUNE TO REPAIR WHATS WRONG WITH HER (RINGS?)

ALSO ANY UPGRADES I CAN DO WHILE SHES APART ON THE SURGEONS TABLE ?

I WOULD BE EVER SO THANKFUL BUT IM NOT SITTING ON YOUR KNEE THANKS JIM

CRAIG

:

Sounds like the rings are bullocks (sp) and your burning more oil. Has it started to smoke at all? Are the plugs getting dirtier faster. Both can be signs of burning oil. A lot of things can increased oil consumption. The type of oil, heat, outside temp, outside pressure. You can try a heavier weight oil and see if that helps.

If it is the rings it not the easiest fix if you are not mechanical. If it doesn't scare you to tear the top end apart its not that hard, just follow the manual.

If you are going top do that you might as well replace the piston too. Total parts should be only about $100 USD (gasket set and piston w/rings).

Good luck mate.

Cheers

sorry m8 jim is a british 80's icon ! you would write him a letter eg dear jim i would like to meet gandi an old jim would do his best to fix it for u on prime time tv while smoking a big fat cuban ! ?

You could be using the wrong technique in checking the oil level too. There's a specific way of checking and if done wrong, will give you a false reading every time. How are you doing it?

Hi m8 ,

To check the oil i would kick my bike up as normal an leave her run for about 5mins on a level floor, switch her off remove dip stick wipe an then insert it (but not screw it in) sound write to u m8 ?

I have done this for the last five years and it is how im comparing the oil loss.

my bike has been dropped in a river,while running lost to a bog etc u name it she had it done to her with no problems she truely is my trusty steed

? cheers craig

Sounds like the rings are bullocks (sp) and your burning more oil. Has it started to smoke at all? Are the plugs getting dirtier faster. Both can be signs of burning oil. A lot of things can increased oil consumption. The type of oil, heat, outside temp, outside pressure. You can try a heavier weight oil and see if that helps.

If it is the rings it not the easiest fix if you are not mechanical. If it doesn't scare you to tear the top end apart its not that hard, just follow the manual.

If you are going top do that you might as well replace the piston too. Total parts should be only about $100 USD (gasket set and piston w/rings).

Good luck mate.

Cheers

Hi m8 ,

my m8 on a 2 stroke is always lagging behind an he says she smokes like mad when im changing down, an the plug is getting dirtyer quicker . It has been very cold over here lately -5 etc an im using thumper semi syth oil 50w 10 .which i have found to be the best in all temps ?

cheers ?

It's usually recommended to actually ride the bike around a bit while warming it up instead of just letting it idle to a warm up, then come in and while leaving it running, put it on a stand and let it idle for 5 minutes to settle, pull the dipstick, wipe it off, shut the bike down, re-insert dipstick, pull again and look at the oil level.

You should do a compression test. That will give you an idea of what kind of shape your top end is in.

my XR was using a TON of oil, and there was no wondering where it was going, which was straight out the exhaust. two things were wrong. one, the rings were shot, the cylinder was a fine glaze, even mirror-like. two, the valves were leaking, and badly. i could go through one quart of oil in 166 km. a bore job, a piston, rings, and valves/valve seals (and many more bits) are on order or on hand. the cylinder went out today for the bore (35 quid) and the wiseco piston kit and other bits (about 210 quid) and a good buddy to do a lot of the delicate work i've never done before. also included in that lot of gear is the new cam chain (43 quid).

It's usually recommended to actually ride the bike around a bit while warming it up instead of just letting it idle to a warm up, then come in and while leaving it running, put it on a stand and let it idle for 5 minutes to settle, pull the dipstick, wipe it off, shut the bike down, re-insert dipstick, pull again and look at the oil level.

You should do a compression test. That will give you an idea of what kind of shape your top end is in.

Thanks for the above i will do this from now on ! ?

Looking around for a power up kit now seen a few on the net for around £240

for a 440 wiseco pistion,sleeve,gasket kit etc . I was thinkink if my bikes apart i might aswell power her up abit. All i have to do is find a good garage which will do the job right!

Thanks again