'02 250F Starting Drill

I just picked up a used 02 250F for my nephews first big bike. I have no problem starting the bike once its warm, but why in the heck is this bike so hard to start cold?? Whats the drill? I'm a Honda man and my bike is rarely more than a 2 kick starter, whats with the Yamaha? There's the choke, a hot start knob, and then the decompression lever up on the bars. We need help! Thanks guys.

I see you're in Minnesota, so I'm guessing it's pretty cold. My guess is that you need to do some adjusting to the pilot circuit of the carb with the fuel screw. If you don't have an externally adjustable fuel screw, I'd suggest that you get one.

OK, down to the starting. Most say to never ever touch the throttle. I'd agree with that - UNLESS you know your bike intimately. When it's stone cold, my WR likes to have two quick shots on the gas before pullilng the choke and kicking. After it's started for the day, I never have to do that again. That's a one time only affair. Don't do that every kick. When I do that it will start second kick almost every time. Also, make sure the gas is on and has had a chance to fill the bowl before trying to start it. Also, turn up the idle for starting - that will help.

I have found that even the starting procedure itself will tend to want to flood the bike, so best be ready and comitted right out of the box. That said, I got my bike used and it had a few problems with the carb. Also, if it is not easy to start, check the valves. The intakes might be a little tight. The WR is prone to harder starting with valves that are just a tiny bit out of adjustment. If you suspect that the bike is flooding or if there is the slightest draining from the carb, check your float level. Again, the WR seems to be finiky as to the float level. If you got the bike used, I'd highly suggest you go to www.thumperfaq.com and check out jetting and bog issues. You should be able to dial it in perfect with minimal effort. Good luck. Bill

I just picked up a used 02 250F for my nephews first big bike. I have no problem starting the bike once its warm, but why in the heck is this bike so hard to start cold?? Whats the drill? I'm a Honda man and my bike is rarely more than a 2 kick starter, whats with the Yamaha? There's the choke, a hot start knob, and then the decompression lever up on the bars. We need help! Thanks guys.

Try this thread:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301327&highlight=starting+drill

or:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/starting_drill.htm