Sign in to follow this  

Catching neutral between 3rd and 2nd

I switched oils to Yama lube 4r to just try different oils and in my second moto I caught neutral down shifting from 3rd to 2nd I guess its between gears not really neutral but this happen 3 time and it cost me second place. Has anyone had this issue or maybe it was me and or the oil!

I am having the same issues. You really have to stomp the heck out of the shifter to make sure 2nd engages. Not really happy about this. I have tried a couple different oils, but with the same results. The funny thing (or not so funny) is neutral is a B@tch to find when sitting on the stand!

Full Synthetic or Blend? What weight?

Maxum premium 4 blend 10-40 (blue label) (same stuff PC uses)

the silver label stuff is no good and causes the clutch to slip (per PC)

I was having an occasional missed shift here and there and put on a HammerHead shifter with a +5mm tip. Have not missed a shift since! Using Castrol R4 since the first oil change!

Maxum premium 4 blend 10-40 (blue label) (same stuff PC uses)

the silver label stuff is no good and causes the clutch to slip (per PC)

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Out of curiosity, have you checked your shifter detent bolt yet. You know, the one that has been reported to back itself out. If I remember correctly, the one of the initial signs of it backing out were false neutrals. Not saying that's your issue but might be something to consider.

Although I haven't had the chance to try it out in the real world yet, I did put my hammerhead shifter with the 15+mm extension on. With my size 12 boots on, its MUCH easier to shift. Its super heavyduty so hopefully won't break on my like my first one did. As was stated earlier it very well could be that tiny azz stock shifter causing the problems.

That detent bolt, is it the one that the spring goes around? I believe the shift fork rides on it! I maybe wrong, if someone could clarify were it is!

I looked at the service manuel and I think the detent bolt is the shift drum cam bolt, am I correct in saying this?