Sign in to follow this  

New NC Forestry laws

From the AMA web site you can find your local congreeman and representatives.

Google and a phone call go a long way.

E-mail directly to;

Mary Noel- mnoel@fs.fed.us

Marysue Hilliard, Forest Supervisor- mhilliard@fs.fed.us

Terry Seyden, Public Affairs Officer- tseyden@fs.fed.us

I sent different versions of this letter to Congressmen, reps and all of the above.

National Forest in North Carolina Restricting Motorcycle Use

Representative Myrick,

The Forest Supervisor in North Carolina, Marysue Hilliard, is trying to extend a law that was passed to protect children from large ATV's to motorcycles in National Forest trail systems in NC.

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/press/proposed_ohv_order.pdf

While the ATV regulation was a good safety measure due to the size and weight of the vehicles, motorcycles don't have the same issues. Restricting motorcycle riders by engine size can actually put a rider in more harm by riding a motorcycle that is too small or under powered for the terrain in which they ride. The majority of ATV injuries and deaths to children are from the excessive weight of the machine in relation to the size of the child. This is not an issue with motorcycles as their weights are no were near that of an ATV. If a child can stand over a motorcycle, the weight of the machine if proportionate to their body size. Motorcycle accidents are usually different than ATV's. Motorcycle riders typically fall off and separate from the machine. ATV riders seem to fall underneath the machine resulting in more serious injuries.

This proposal will restrict children in an unsafe manner and keep them from riding in the North Carolina National Forest. Youth motorcycling is a great experience that involves the entire family. If the proposal is enacted it will virtually end Family riding of the National Forest system in North Carolina.

As stated in the notice; any comments should be sent by April 22 to:

Mary Noel

National Forests in North Carolina

P.O. Box 2750

Asheville, NC 28802

Thank you for looking into this matter.

Sincerely,

Bill Conger

Received a return e-mail from Marisue Hilliard:

Thank you for your e-mail message. I will be checking into this with my

staff and will contact you soon.

Marisue Hilliard

Forest Supervisor, National Forests in North Carolina

160-A Zillicoa Street

Asheville, NC 28801

828-257-4269

mhilliard@fs.fed.us

Everyone needs to e-mail a polite, concise message to her. I'd recommend stressing the "safety issue" of roll overs that is such a big concern with quads and not applicable to motorcycles.

Even if you don't have kids(I don't) or ride in NC, don't let this be a trend that spreads to your state. Please e-mail! You could mention the loss of tourism $$ since you won't make the family vaction to ride in NC anymore. :thumbsup:

I got the same email from her.

When i rode at Cullawhee yesterday, I was telling a bunch of people about it. Most seemed to care, and that it sucked, but i didn't get the impression anybody was going to do anything about it ..... I wished I would've taken a bunch of copies of that proposal with me :thumbsup::confused::bonk:

The one guy said that the quad rules that are already passed don't take effect until October this year? Can anybody confirm if this is true or not :thumbsup:

Are y'all sure Marisue is a woman? It might be some kind of black guys name.

It's a BS law, but Im jw what it has to do with the trails and all that? From that link it just looks like stricter laws on what the manufacturer already recommends.

This will only apply to NC forestry land like Brown Mt., Weyahutta, and Uhwahrie.

Only at first.

Consider who's behind this. Realize that there are groups with LOTS of money that want to see the total elimination of OHVs in this country and this is only one of the early steps.

If everyone sits around with their thump up their collective asses like they did when the ATV version of this sailed through, it's only a matter of time before ALL public land is shut down. Imagine what will follow. Imagine what fronts they'll attack on - noise, dust, "pollution", etc.

I sent the notice to the Blue Ribbon Coalition and got ZERO RESPONSE!!!

I also sent it to ARRA who apparently didn't even read it and assumed that it was already signed into law with a sort of "oh well" response. The AMA is thoroughly useless unless you're trying to ride your Harley w/o a helmet.

This crap falls squarely on our backs. Do something now or don't bother whining when it's all shut down. And it will if we don't start doing something about it.

I am new to this board. I currently live in California (Talking wife into moving to NC, my realatives have lived in NC since 1800!). My search was to find out if registration was needed for OHV? Here in California, they have red sticker and green. They smog the OHV one-time and that determines what sticker you get. Green, you can ride year around any where, red is limited to certain times of the year (IE; Sept-April). How does NC work?

Also, my kids have been riding 250R 3-wheeler since they were nine. Some are 16 now. My 16yr now has a Yamaha Warrior 350 and my 14 has a Yamaha YZ125 dirt bike. They would be pissed to go back to a 90cc!

Here where we live, the kids mount up and ride from the drive way 99% of the time. What type of riding is out there (IE; mountain, dunes, trails)?

Can someone post or respond to some of my questions?

Thanks guys!

How does NC work?

What type of riding is out there (IE; mountain, dunes, trails)?

#1 - depends on where you go. Usually just pay an iron post for state trails, pay when you go into private places, or get a membership (either one). Brown mountain is now different, so be forewarned to get your pass before you get there. There are stores selling them before you get there.

#2 mountain trails and tracks on the west side of the state. Don't hear much other than tracks on the East side.

in the actual laws it states that the new law applies to only 3 and 4 weel vehicles :ride: if anyone knows how to find the exact laws on dirtbikes let me know. thanks

Has anyone heard anything more about the crappy proposal??? :ride:

Everyones efforts payed off. A minimum age restriction is still in place but seems reasonable and who carries a birth certificate anyways.

Dear Bill:

Thank you for giving me your recent comments on the National Forests in

NC’s proposed OHV Closure Order. Based on comments received from users,

the original proposal has been modified to exclude any motor size

restrictions for motorcycle users over the age of 8 years.

Some users also had concerns about imposing a minimum age (of 8 years) for

users of OHV trails. We have made the decision to retain this limit, since

most OHV trails allow for mixed use by motorcycles, ATV’s and 4-wheel drive

vehicles, and we have concluded that even closely watched young children

could be at risk in these situations.

We appreciate your interest and support for off-highway motorized

recreation in North Carolina, and hope these new rules will make this

experience safer for all users. A copy of the final Closure Order is

attached.

Sincerely,

Mary A. Noel

These are the new rules

NATIONAL FORESTS IN NORTH CAROLINA

Order Number 03-02-2006

OHV Safety Regulations

Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50 (a) and (:ride: the following orders apply to the Pisgah, Nantahala, Uwharrie, and Croatan National Forests in North Carolina. This order is in effect from May 12, 2006 through May 12, 2011.

This order applies to all motorcycles being driven off of designated roadways and all-terrain vehicles (ATV’s). For the purpose of this order, ATV’s are defined as having a seat to be straddled by the operator and a handlebar for steering, with 3, 4 or 6-wheels, and under 60 inches in width.

1. For public health and safety, ATV and motorcycle operators and riders must wear eye protection and a helmet that meets United States Department of Transportation motorcycle safety standards. 36 CFR 261.53 (e) and 36 CFR 261.55(d)

2. For public health and safety, it is unlawful for a parent or legal guardian to knowingly permit:

- A child under age 8 to operate any ATV or motorcycle.

- A child under age 12 to operate any ATV 70cc or larger.

- A child under age 16 to operate any ATV 90cc or larger.

- A child under age 16 to operate any ATV or motorcycle unless under the continuous visual supervision of a person over age 18. 36 CFR 261.53 (e) and 36 CFR 261.55(d)

3. For public health and safety, an OHV operator cannot carry passenger(s) unless the manufacturer specifically designed the vehicle for such purposes. 36 CFR 261.53(e) and 36 CFR 261.55(d)

4. An OHV operator cannot operate any internal or external combustion engine without a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained and in effective working order meeting either: (1) Department of Agriculture, Forest Service Standard 5100-1a; or (2) Appropriate Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) recommended practice J3335 (:banana: AND J350 (A). 36 CFR 261.52(j)

Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50 (e), the following persons are exempted from this order:

1) Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.

Executed in Asheville, North Carolina this _12th _ day of May, 2006.

/s/ Marisue Hilliard_

MARISUE HILLIARD

Forest Supervisor

National Forests in North Carolina

Glad I took Cameron around Easter. Looks like it'll be the end of summer before he can ride in NC now :busted: At least they left bikes off there :ride: Thanks for all the hard work guys, gals, and kids :banana:

I feel kinda sorry for the 4-wheeler people.

2. For public health and safety, it is unlawful for a parent or legal guardian to knowingly permit:

- A child under age 8 to operate any ATV or motorcycle.

- A child under age 12 to operate any ATV 70cc or larger.

- A child under age 16 to operate any ATV 90cc or larger.

Imagine a 15yr. old having to ride a raptor 80 :ride:

Glad I took Cameron around Easter. Looks like it'll be the end of summer before he can ride in NC now :ride:

This only applies to the Pisgah, Nantahala, Uwharrie, and Croatan National Forests in North Carolina. Any private place if fair game. Go to Brushy!

Thanks for the help guys. I had a bad feeling about the outcome. I had e-mailed her back a few times to try and get a answer but I guess that my works e-mail has been blocking her reply.

RyanK, It could have been better but it could have been a lot worse. :ride:

RyanK, It could have been better but it could have been a lot worse. :ride:
exactly :banana:

Thanks for the help guys. I guess that my works e-mail has been blocking her reply.

I just received her reply today.