Want to learn, but I have no clue..

hey, I am a 16 year old girl who really is interested in learning how to ride. Trouble is that I have no idea about anything when it comes to dirtbiking. I found this site on a search and thought it was really cool. Could someone explain to me the basics of what kind of bike I should get and how exactly you ride for a new beginner like me. I am 5'5 and 110 pounds. Thank you so much for your trouble!!

If you've never riden a motorcycle it'll be very hard to learn without having one in front of you to try.

This is a very good site to learn the 'lingo' and how to troubleshoot problems.If you ask wht bike to get, expect allot of opinions. we all seem to have a favorite brand and model.

At your height and light weight there are allot of good choices for performance dirt bikes. It may be a little tall but a YZ250F or CRF250 would do extreamly well. It would be highly recommended you tale a hands on class offered by most dealers.

the two bikes I mentioned are true racers and can be fitted with throttle stops to limit available power. When your better, you remove the stop.

Others will say it too much bike for a beginner. In my opinion, any beginner that rides often will grow into these bikes. If you want performance and by a lesser bike you want one of these within a year.

I don't know if any of this helped but good luck and keep browsing Thumper talk and asking questions.

Where u at in pa, maybe i could teach u...

While you're at it why don't you just ask her if she wants some candy??????

Sorry if you were actually being sincere but, it had to be said.

Your best advise, like the 1st guy said.... post this question in the thumpette section. I'm sure all of them at one point were in your shoes and would offer first hand advise. Good luck.

While you're at it why don't you just ask her if she wants some candy??????

Sorry if you were actually being sincere but, it had to be said.

Your best advise, like the 1st guy said.... post this question in the thumpette section. I'm sure all of them at one point were in your shoes and would offer first hand advise. Good luck.

someone needs to chill.....

people meet and ride with people from this forum all the time guy....

The best option that I think to do is buy a used 4 stroke motocross bike. A motocross bike will allow you to ride the at the track or on the trails. They are great for other reasons as well. Many people have more knowledge of these kinds of bikes compared to a ttr or similar bike. The power is definatly an advantage. A four stroke will NOT have too much power, do not let anyone tell you this. All four of the big name brands, ie Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha all produce very high quality bikes. None of them are junk. You should buy a used bike for the single fact that it is cheaper. It would be in your best interest to buy a 250f instead of a 450f. Although I and others have suggested buying a four stroke, I would also suggest considering a 125. This is what I learned how to ride on two and a half years ago. I still race a 125 in the 125 class, unlike many of my competitors that are on 250f bikes. Many people will also argue that a 250f is faster than a 125. I disagree, I have been in the top 5 out of the first corner on several ocasions. And for the advice to go to the thumpette forum, go there AND here. You will get some great answers in that forum, as well as here. Just because you are a female, doesn't mean that you shouldnt ask questions like these in the same forum that the males do.

My son is 12 and about your size. I bought him a Honda CRF150F which, IMO, is a very good beginner's bike. The '06 has electric start which is nice for the beginner.

For him, it was a bit tall (that will really be the case if you go with a CRF250, etc) and I had to lower the forks a bit in the clamps and loosen up the shock spring as much as I could. You can actually buy a suspension link that lowers the bike but, for my son, it's only a temporary problem as he'll grow into this bike.

One of the things that I feel helped him the most starting off was changing the clutch perch to one where the lever can be adjusted very close to the bars. I then set the play so that the clutch ingages right off the grip. The tendency for beginners is to give the bike throttle, slowly let out the clutch and as soon as it begins to ingage, bam!, out it goes. This allows him to let it out much smoother.

I rode on the back of the bike with him and had him put his hands on mine as I worked the gas/clutch and he shifted. It took no time at all for him to be able to shift on his on doing this.

If I had my wish for a beginner, I would have access to a big field to just ride, ride, ride, so they don't have to take on too much too soon.

Best of luck and enjoy. It's a GREAT sport! ?

someone needs to chill.....

people meet and ride with people from this forum all the time guy....

You gotta admit, you saw it coming. A 16 year old girl, asking a bunch of dirt bike riding males if anyone could help her to learn how to ride. Sounds like someone from the FBI is patrolling this site trying to get pedofiles to come out of the woodwork.

JohnDeereGirl4Life - my suggestion to you is to go to your local dealer and ask some questions. Go to your local track or riding area and see what others your age/size are riding. Also, like was mentioned above, post in the Thumpette forum. Starting with a CRF250 or YZF250, as was suggested above, is way to much for you. You won't even be able to load it into your trailer. Start with something around 80 - 100 cc. Preferably a 4-stroke so it's more manageable power delivery. That should be plenty of power for you until you build up the strength and knowledge to go to a larger bike in a year or two. Nothing will set you back more than getting a bike that is too much for you and you get hurt or scare the heck out of yourself.

Best of luck to you. Be careful.

I don't agree with directing her or any other women to the Thumperette forum.

A line like that reminds me of high school dances where the girls lined up on one sirde and the boys on the other.

If someone is want to learn and ride the best info is here anywhere on this site.

When I was in 10th grade the Sr. home comming queen was a MX racer who'd roost any guy she went against.

hey, I am a 16 year old girl who really is interested in learning how to ride. Trouble is that I have no idea about anything when it comes to dirtbiking. I found this site on a search and thought it was really cool. Could someone explain to me the basics of what kind of bike I should get and how exactly you ride for a new beginner like me. I am 5'5 and 110 pounds. Thank you so much for your trouble!!

youve found TT , which is a great start it will be a good help to you in all areas of dirtbikeng from gear to bikes to where to ride..

id recomend hooking up with someone from the thumpette forum or one of the guys in your local area (if your game) to teach you some basics and to get a feel for motorbikes, but if your in any way good looking im sure the guys willl want you to get a feel of something else!, so i would recomend a girl and girls are more forgiveing and patient teachers anyhow. ?

good luck

I am selling a TTR125L and i live in the Philly area. The TTR125L (which someone had recommended above me) is a great bike. It's not too fast, but easy to learn on, easy to start, and is "The Playbike of the Year", and you won't get in to any serious trouble power-wise. It has a stock exhaust so it is sewing-machine quiet. And no performance modifications so I didn't really ride it too hard. That's always a good thing. You can email me at Tcrrz@aol.com if your interested. It's a gr8 way to get into biking!

I am selling a TTR125L and i live in the Philly area. The TTR125L (which someone had recommended above me) is a great bike. It's not too fast, but easy to learn on, easy to start, and is "The Playbike of the Year", and you won't get in to any serious trouble power-wise. It has a stock exhaust so it is sewing-machine quiet. And no performance modifications so I didn't really ride it too hard. That's always a good thing. You can email me at Tcrrz@aol.com if your interested. It's a gr8 way to get into biking!

This is the same bike I used to teach my wife how to ride ?

I think it is an awesome beginner bike. A MX bike will be too much for a young begginer, there needs to be a learning curve. IMO

Find a local MX track. Go there. Find a guy that looks fast. Follow him to his truck when he is taking a break and ask him if he will teach you how to ride. I guarantee you that he will teach you. Simple as that.

Yes he will definetly help teach you, unless they are one of those cocky SOBs ?, But good luck, and this is a general post we shouldn't send all the ladies to one forum...

Here are links to the best beginner bikes for your age and size (IMHO).

You will be able to learn to use the clutch in no time. It also is invaluable to have a riding buddy who is experienced. You can learn a lot just by watching another person ride.

Yamaha TTR 125

Kawasaki KLX125L

Suzuki DR-Z125L

Honda CRF150 ?

I linked to the "L" model on the first three, they are the taller version of that model. If you could get one of these used in good condition that would be ideal for starting out. Where I live the YamahaTTR125's are readily available used.

Good luck and remember that Thumpertalk is the best source of knowledge on the Web.